Hammer of the Scots» Forums » General

Subject: Mounted board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thinking about picking this up, but I'm having a hard time getting past the non-mounted board. Does anyone know if there's any realistic chance of a future edition having a mounted board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia have started using Kickstarter fairly recently. Last year they released a new edition of Bobby Lee with a Mounted map and before that a new Napoleon also with a mounted map, so I think there is a chance. But how long before they do it? Could be years, if at all.

The thing is, HOTS is one of their most popular titles as it stands, so I doubt there will be much pressure on them to change it.

I recently got a copy of the 1st Edition (because I preferred the map design over the current edition). The map is made of thick paper, or thin card if you prefer, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I really don't see the need for a mounted board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the info. If that's true, I'm definitely going to bide my time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too much prefer mounted boards so I completely understand your reticence. I finally decided that there are so many interesting looking games with paper/card maps that I should 'bite the bullet' and buy a large sheet of perspex (to cover the map). Now I just have to break out HotS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebri wrote:
I too much prefer mounted boards so I completely understand your reticence. I finally decided that there are so many interesting looking games with paper/card maps that I should 'bite the bullet' and buy a large sheet of perspex (to cover the map). Now I just have to break out HotS!

I guess I'm not there yet. But I did take the plunge with Twighlight Struggle, and was blown away, and am now looking to expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get too hung up on this issue. the mounted boards that CG do are NOT your typical mounted boards, they are merely thick card stock and prone to warping. I actually prefer the CG card stock (normal) maps they do over their mounted maps and having lots of CG games and getting to prefer them over mounted boards in general.

I do not foresee Hammer having a mounted board in the near future but that should not stop you getting this game, you would not regret it for gameplay and for the quality of the NON mounted map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hound wrote:

Thinking about picking this up, but I'm having a hard time getting past the non-mounted board. Does anyone know if there's any realistic chance of a future edition having a mounted board?

I too was skeptical about getting a game with an unmounted board. I went ahead and got this and some other Columbia block war games anyway. And now I prefer the unmounted maps. And this game, along with Rommel in the Desert and Julius Caesar, are now some of my favorite games. I hope you give it chance, and enjoy it as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
JUST BUY THE DAMNED GAME!!!!!

I can not say that strongly enough.

YOU. WILL. NOT. CARE. ONE. BIT.

Seriously. Great game.

Board does not matter. It's nice, thick cardstock. I had reservations myself and own about fifteen columbia games less than two years later.

This is a great seller for them, I'm sure. one of their highest ranked. And there's nothing broken about it and the graphics have already been updated. They're not going to kickstart any kind of new edition.

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As another person has stated in this thread, you can go to Lowe's and get a piece of Plexiglas to cover the board. This option works well. It flattens the board and has the additional benefit of protecting it from spills. With a little research, you can get a piece big enough to cover HotS and any other unmounted game boards you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
They're not going to kickstart any kind of new edition.

I would tend to agree with this comment. CG has a list of about 6 games on their development plan that I expect will be their line of Kickstarts for the next 10 years or so...

#4 on that list is "Hammer of the Irish" which is derivative of HotS but a word of warning, waiting for CG games is a labor of love. They JUST delivered Victory in Europe last week. It funded May 8, 2014. The end product is awesome but you must have patience...

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckmac wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
They're not going to kickstart any kind of new edition.

I would tend to agree with this comment. CG has a list of about 6 games on their development plan that I expect will be their line of Kickstarts for the next 10 years or so...

#4 on that list is "Hammer of the Irish" which is derivative of HotS but a word of warning, waiting for CG games is a labor of love. They JUST delivered Victory in Europe last week. It funded May 8, 2014. The end product is awesome but you must have patience...

- C

To be honest, the wait for Victory in Europe to be produced hasn't been that bad, compared to some KS projects.

Having said that, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive here in Blighty....... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive here in Blighty....... whistle

Personally, I think it has been worth the wait, but plan on spending some time with those stickers. I do love having flat blocks in lieu of counters, but it does add to the 'stick' time.

If you ever wondered, 'what are the logistical limits for CG to add components to their standard box?'... ViE answers that question. There is not a lot of air in the box.

- Charlie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is a thick paperboard and lays flat on the table. I too love mounted maps but you won't miss it. Plexiglass is not needed for their maps. Don't let this stand in the way of a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To "The Hound":

I myself have historically refused to buy games with non-mounted maps. It took me over a year to buy Hammer of the Scots. I like the graphic of the map and the blocks and stickers. However, I cannot stand the card board paper maps. I guess it's just a preference thing. Some people don't mind the cheap playing surface. But for me, as I've said elsewhere, it's like having a house with heating and air conditioning, nice furniture, etc. but dirt floors. It just doesn't seem right to have nice playing pieces, good game play and a piece of cardboard or paper to play on! So....I've sent mine out to Print and Play Productions in Washington, USA, and they are mounting it on a folding 2mm chipboard. The guy doing it has gotten good reviews (Andrew Tullsen) and goes by "Howitzer_120mm" on BGG. I'll let you know how it turns out. It will cost me $60 (total including shipping). On the positive side, I only have to do this for a game once (and Hammer looks like a great game). On the negative, side WHY can't Columbia Games do this for their $65 plus games. GMT does. No excuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa Jim...

You have no idea how closely I'm going to monitor your experience with this. I've been looking forever for a mounted map for Paths of Glory. If you have a positive experience, Howitzer_120mm will be making an extra $60 if not more!

Oh, and uh... Yeah... Probably going to pick this game up today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you know for sure, Chuck. I wish you lived in GA. We could be playing face to face eventually. So hard to find opponents for these type of games outside of Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck. Just got an email last night informing me that my map is already on the way back to me from Washington (state). That was fast. I sent it out last Thursday from Georgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:
To "The Hound":

I myself have historically refused to buy games with non-mounted maps. It took me over a year to buy Hammer of the Scots. I like the graphic of the map and the blocks and stickers. However, I cannot stand the card board paper maps. I guess it's just a preference thing. Some people don't mind the cheap playing surface. But for me, as I've said elsewhere, it's like having a house with heating and air conditioning, nice furniture, etc. but dirt floors. It just doesn't seem right to have nice playing pieces, good game play and a piece of cardboard or paper to play on! So....I've sent mine out to Print and Play Productions in Washington, USA, and they are mounting it on a folding 2mm chipboard. The guy doing it has gotten good reviews (Andrew Tullsen) and goes by "Howitzer_120mm" on BGG. I'll let you know how it turns out. It will cost me $60 (total including shipping). On the positive side, I only have to do this for a game once (and Hammer looks like a great game). On the negative, side WHY can't Columbia Games do this for their $65 plus games. GMT does. No excuse.

Was considering something like this for a slightly larger Victory in Europe map from the PDF. Anybody know if there is a company that does this kind of thing in the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave. I will be doing the same for Victory in Europe if this company does a good job with the HotS map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my mounted map from Print and Play Productions. It is DEFINITELY an improvement over the card stock thing that comes with the game. The graphics were retained and printed on 2mm chipboard. Tape was used on the folding lines to cut the board but keep it together and make it very fold-able. However, I see the map itself may peel in the future as the edges show some vulnerability to being peeled up through repeated handling (though nothing has happened yet).

On the whole, I give it a "7" (10 being great). You may find it even better. I may, after some play re-mount some months or a year or so down the road at a print shop in Atlanta that did great work on my Age of Napoleon map. I may not. We'll see. But for now, this is a marked improvement and it is truly mounted (it also fits in the Columbia game box that the game came in). I will upload some photos. Oh, I retained it's original size by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Grewal
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GA Jim wrote:
Received my mounted map from Print and Play Productions. It is DEFINITELY an improvement over the card stock thing that comes with the game. The graphics were retained and printed on 2mm chipboard. Tape was used on the folding lines to cut the board but keep it together and make it very fold-able. However, I see the map itself may peel in the future as the edges show some vulnerability to being peeled up through repeated handling (though nothing has happened yet).

On the whole, I give it a "7" (10 being great). You may find it even better. I may, after some play re-mount some months or a year or so down the road at a print shop in Atlanta that did great work on my Age of Napoleon map. I may not. We'll see. But for now, this is a marked improvement and it is truly mounted (it also fits in the Columbia game box that the game came in). I will upload some photos. Oh, I retained it's original size by the way.

Where are the photos?!?!?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jesse. I started a game almost 2 weeks ago when I got the board and it is still set up. It's a game my boys and I are playing but have not been able to get back to and finish. So, I will not be able to take the best photos with pieces on the board. I wanted to take a selection of several showing the board folding and flat. I'll get them up there soon. Real life has been seriously in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lee

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the pictures...thin board but truly mounted (not like the "mounted" board that came with the game which was actually a piece of painted card board). It's got transparent tape along the seems which connects the six piece, two-section boards into one. You'll see a gray piece of heavy duct tape I used to pull the top half of the board more closely together and the cut was not clean and left a tiny but visually annoying gap.

Pretty happy with the board though I thought I'd get more for $60 USD. Definitely an improvement on what came with the Columbia Game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
As another person has stated in this thread, you can go to Lowe's and get a piece of Plexiglas to cover the board. This option works well. It flattens the board and has the additional benefit of protecting it from spills. With a little research, you can get a piece big enough to cover HotS and any other unmounted game boards you use.

I was skeptical but ended up buying a sheet for Blackbeard and actually love it. I use it for all my games - mounted or not. Keeps everything flat and clean. Picked up A World At War and will now need at least one more to cover the massive maps!

Oh, and yes, just picked a first edition copy of Hammer of the Scots!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Forsberg
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Buy a piece of plexiglas and you'll start prefering unmounted maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.