Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure I am playing correctly.

Step 3 says Resolve bad luck (misfortune)

Step 4 says add the selected cards (from step 2) to your CV.

In the forums, it was said upkeep costs should be done at the beginning of the 'add cards to cv' phase.

Question 1: However, If you knew you were going to lose an upkeep card, you could go ahead and discard it to resolve the misfortune, correct?

Question 2: Also, since you check your upkeep cards before adding your selected cards to your CV, any upkeep cards you just bought that turn would not need upkeep until your next turn, correct?

Question 3: Since upkeep is done at the beginning of the 'add cards to CV phase', I assume if you will lose an upkeep card, you can still use the tokens that card gives you to purchase a card because that is in done in the earlier phase 'select CV cards', right?

Ie: the child gives me happiness, I can use that to purchase a card (in step 2), then lose the child (I didn't have any $ for the upkeep) at the beginning of step 4, then add that card I used the happiness to purchase to my CV (the remainder of step 4). Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everything is right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Upkeep? I didn't see anything about that in our rules. We just figured the crossed out icons meant you got one less of those at the start of your turn and that it ate one if you happened to roll it. Had no idea you could lose a card of it. There go the twins forever. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The twins don't have to 'Go'.
Remember, they can be placed at the BOTTOM of the grouping, so that they are NOT the active card......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The place to settle this question is described on p. 7 in the Rulebook, "Appendix - Icons and cards," where it says that for "cards with a cost," "The cost must be paid each turn, between the phases Bad Luck and Add to CV." That, in my view, definitely answers the timing question. (Being in the "appendix" made it very easy to miss, though, and I struggled with this issue until I finally re-read the rulebook!)

One other important point: If you have a "card with a cost," you need to remember you cannot pay that cost with any die or token you previously used to buy a new card! So that cost has to be set aside, really, at the same time you are buying new cards -- unless you are willing to lose the card because you can't pay the cost by the time you finish with Phase 3, Bad Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.