9 Posts

Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents» Forums » Rules

Subject: question about last round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matan becker
msg tools
i have watched radho runthrought, and i have a question:
what will prevent the last player in the last round to sell all of his other players stocks (and demolish their stocks rate) without any fear of punishment by the other players?
i mean, in the game - if you buy my stocks - i will buy yours and then you will know that if you hit me, i will hit you harder - but this balance will not exist in the last turn!
any suggestion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fuerst-Brunner
Germany
Neuching
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't saw the video but the rules posted here made clear that it is STOCK VALUE that wins you the game. Money is only the tie breaker in case of equal stock value.

So this solves your question pretty easily: Sell off the shares of the other players and loose big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coveyou
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! We designed the market such that many scenarios exist where stocks sells would be heavily beneficial, but at the same time, stock sells are fairly damaging to yourself on that very last turn. This way there is still a lot of play in the Stock Market, yet the last turn is not one big stock dump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could this lead to a king making situation though where you could sell shares in one stock and have that person lose too, even if they were in a dominant position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyGoose wrote:
Could this lead to a king making situation though where you could sell shares in one stock and have that person lose too, even if they were in a dominant position?

It would be really hard to have so much of one player's stock that dumping what you have would be that decisive. More, the stock all players own is hidden information, so you cant micro count points easily to manufacture a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyGoose wrote:

It can in theory, but it doesn't seem to manifest in practice. Like any game with interaction, it is entirely possible to make yourself and another player lose, but this game doesn't put you in the position of having nothing better to do. Even at the end of the game, there are moves you can make to boost your score, so there isn't an incentive to dive bomb another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. The game looks great. I don't think this would happen either unless you pissed someone off, and then you deserve it. Playing the social game is important too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from eyeballing the stock chart and crunching a few numbers it seems like selling off any stock when it gets to the mid 30's is going to be a bad move. At that point you're giving up more points in stock value than you're than your collective opponents by lowering the stock by a column.

Example: It's towards the end of the game, all 10 Edison stocks have been bought and I have one. Edison is currently valued at 50. If I sell that stock then I lose 50 points in stock value, the stock drops one column to 45 and so the other 9 shares are worth 5 points less each. Collectively, I've given up 50 points to do 45 points of damage to my opponents scores. Not good.

The break even point seems to be between 36, if all 10 stocks are already bought - lower if not all of them have been bought yet. Lower than that and you'll cause more devaluing of opponents stock than you're giving up. It seems like selling stock early for cash can be a good thing, but selling them late to damage opponents scores seems like a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwilhm wrote:
Just from eyeballing the stock chart and crunching a few numbers it seems like selling off any stock when it gets to the mid 30's is going to be a bad move. At that point you're giving up more points in stock value than you're than your collective opponents by lowering the stock by a column.

Example: It's towards the end of the game, all 10 Edison stocks have been bought and I have one. Edison is currently valued at 50. If I sell that stock then I lose 50 points in stock value, the stock drops one column to 45 and so the other 9 shares are worth 5 points less each. Collectively, I've given up 50 points to do 45 points of damage to my opponents scores. Not good.

The break even point seems to be between 36, if all 10 stocks are already bought - lower if not all of them have been bought yet. Lower than that and you'll cause more devaluing of opponents stock than you're giving up. It seems like selling stock early for cash can be a good thing, but selling them late to damage opponents scores seems like a waste.

Hi Jeremy,

It often makes sense to sell at or above 36 in order to arbitrage and buy more shares of a different stock.

So, for example, if during phase 3 the leader is at $66 stock price, dump two of their shares for $126 total (more if your luminary has a finance rating) and buy three shares of someone who was at ~$45 per share. It brings their share prices quite close overall, flattening the difference between them, but increasing your absolute score pretty significantly.

It only rarely makes sense in Tesla vs. Edison to sell shares without buying other ones. Shares - for the most part - only appreciate and cash is basically worthless at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.