designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by a thread at the BGDF I wanted to give an idea into playtest:

Schools of Magic
2-8 Players
15-30 Minutes

What do you need:

Some means to track each player's score (pen and paper should suffice at first)
Players start with 0VP and can never have less than 0VP.

One sheet of paper, a.k.a. the "board"
Divide this sheet into 6 sections. Write into each section one of the following School Names:
Fire
Ice
Life
Death
Matter
Entropy

Dice. 5 per player.
Each player receives 5 dice.
A turn starts with all players rolling their dice and revealing the results by placing the dice in front of them.
Now players take turns in placing dice. A player may only place one die at a time and he may place a die only in a school he did not place a die in during this turn.
The schools provide the following effects:
Fire: Target another player's die on the board with lower score. The player may not use that die during this turn.
Ice: Target an opposing player's die on the board with lower result. Opposing player must leave that die in that location on his next turn and may not roll it or allocate it elsewhere.
Death: Remove your die allocated here permanently from the game, target opponent removes a number of his dice equal to the die's result for the next turn.
Life: Allocate a die here to recover a previously removed die OR negate the effect of target die on the board with a lower result.
Matter: Gain this number of VP
Entropy: Target Opponent loses this number of VP
The first player to score 20VP wins.

After all dice have been placed, players remove their dice from the board and start all over again (effects from the current turn, such as ice or death, are still applied)

Ok, so the whole idea is pretty rough, since it basically just came out of my head into my fingers ..

What I'd like you to test:

Playing time: Did I estimate the time properly?
Scaling: Does the game scale well with more players?
Balance: Do the schools get used equally or do some of them lack attraction?
Fun-factor: Is this game fun anyway? Would you replay it?

Thank you and kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Seems interesting.

I would be worried about the balance of matter/entropy in a 2 player game though. Could last for ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current thread for this idea is this one now:

Charzuns [PnP ready] [little to no printing and cutting] [2p contest] [strategical dice game]

The basic ideas have been fleshed out a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.