1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Lightweight travel game for couple rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slindy Lindemans
msg tools
Hi all,

I am looking for help on choosing a lightweight travel game to play with my girlfriend this summer. We are going on a 3 month bicycle trip across Europe, in a tent, and I am looking for 1 or 2 games that my girlfriend will enjoy, and that also scratches my boardgame itch.. Perhaps I need two games, one solo for me, and one for us together? The normal deck of cards obviously also comes along.

The games I own and enjoy are pandemic, carcasonne, catan, mansions of madness, space hulk, twilight imperium, descent, x wing, mice of mystics, warhammer etc - so you see where I am coming from ;-). My girlfriend mostly enjoys games like carcasonne, but can handle difficult games and has played all games above with me at least once and enjoyed them. She likes games that are a bit competitive, quick, fun. I like games with a strong theme, preferably sci-fi and fantasy.

The game I'm looking for should be:
- for 2 persons and/or co-op with solo variant
- lightweight and small: I'm taking 15kg max on my bike, so game should preferably not be more than 500g
- easy to play in a tent - we wont bring a table of course
- preferably with a fantasy / sci fi theme

So far, I have found dominion (but seems to heavy?), star wars lgc / lotr lcg / game of thrones lgc (these might be too heavy/difficult), citadels...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread will probably get better responses in the Recommendations forum.

In the meantime, take a look at Star Realms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Star Realms is a small, Dominion style game with the theme you're after.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Kingdoms is a cool little game for two players with a lot of strategy (and variety) in it. I've never tried, but since the map cards are all small and not connected to each other, setting it up in a tent should not be a problem.

The only good co-op I know of this small is Hanabi which is a great little game, but probably too far outside of your theme preferences (and also not solo-able).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Zauberschwert & Drachenei.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slindy61 wrote:
So far, I have found dominion (but seems to heavy?)

Heavy in the difficult sense or in the physical sense?

Star Realms is a good suggestion.

Haggis can be played with a standard deck 2-player (removed aces + some picture cards). An actual Haggis deck tells you want the cards score but it's fairly easy to remember and you could always mark up the 3/5/7/9 with 1 point and J/Q/K with 2/3/5 points if you wanted.

Race for the Galaxy might be a good option, though I think it's more complex than Dominion (which I've not played). Learn it before you go then take the deck + two sets of action cards*. You could take the VP chips or just use playing cards instead of VP chips (the VP chips are light, but everything matters and they might be easy to lose). You could add Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm if you want to be able to play solo too, though that'd increase the weight. If you only want to play solo then you don't need action cards.

If it were me I'd take RftG, playing cards (for Haggis, Cribbage, Indian Chief) and maybe Hive.

* If you knew the game well you could use playing cards in lieu of the action cards, just make up a mapping that works for you or write on the cards what actions they represent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Ingenious: Travel Edition. It's a two player game in a small box. All the pieces (pegs and tiles) are designed to stay put, so it's easy to play it on a plane or train. I've found that Ingenious appeals to non-hardcore gamers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game plays great both solo and two player coop (plays up to 6), comes in an FFG silver line box (19.5cm x 10cm x 2.4cm) and weighs in well under half a kilogram.

Since you play Space Hulk, the theme is something you would be familiar with, and it will kick your butt (not quite ghost stories difficult, but not an easy game), but is paced well so that you generally don't just die all at the beginning, so you get that "ugh, next time I'll get you" feeling. (So many times I die at the last objective aaagh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slindy Lindemans
msg tools
Dear all,

wow! This was my first post to BBG, and I am overwhelmed by all the help and reactions - really cool.

I was just looking at both Star Realms and Tiny Epic Kingdoms,and these both look very promising. I still have to look at all the other suggestions, thanks! (very intrigued already by space hulk card game ;-)

@John, with Dominion being too heavy I meant physically - same goes for star wars lgc / lotr lcg / game of thrones lg ? Perhaps I'm wrong, there probably is a lot of empty space in these boxes.

Anyways - thanks, I will check all suggestions out in a couple of hours (now at work ;-)

Stuart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it, but oddball Äeronauts might be something for you to look at.

Edit: Having a look, there seems to be a follow up game too: oddball Aeronauts 2: Double the Trouble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not one I've played, but I've heard good things about Pixel Tactics, which is literally about the size of a deck of playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add Hive to the list, with the bonus of being able to play anywhere due to its durable construction (with Bakelite tiles). Hanabi Deluxe may be a good choice for the same reason, but it's a bit heavier (the card version, however, is certainly a perfect fit).

Other than that, there is a plethora of small box games that fit the bill - a number of which have already been mentioned.

CCGs/LCGs can be good as well, as long as you're only taking few decks and they don't require too many other components. Something else to consider, as a fan of Warhammer, you may want to look at Warhammer: Diskwars - all you need is a way to mark off a 3' area and a couple baggies with armies put together.

Hm... That's all I have for the moment. Best of luck finding the best fit for your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wünsche
Germany
Minfeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic: The Cure

if you put the box away, its really small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation is a great game, a guaranteed trip game. My wife and I love it (and she doesn't love everything).

I add a +1 to Hive, but I'd get Hive Pocket. Lightweight, goes anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Picart i Barrot
Andorra
Girona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Star Realms: meaty and small.

Since we discovered the Decktet, this has been the choice every time I've needed a lightweight game to travel with. We *adore* Magnate, but there's plenty of other really good games to play with it. You will need some tokens and dice, but nothing too heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CV - doesn't have a sci-fi theme but it has a good storytelling theme that would translate well as your setting changes (adapt the cards to your surrounding. It has a board but you don't need to bring it just the cards and the dice.

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension - Sci fi, competitive - has a board BUT is easily replicated on a sheet of paper or even photo copy the board bc all you need are the number of hex spaces.

Greed - Gangster style theme similar to dominion (same creator) but no need to sort cards just shuffle and deal.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms - never played it or own it but seems to fit your side of things.

Smash Up - take yours and hers choice of expansions and battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backyard Builders Treehouse became my wifes and I travel game. It will more than likely make the trip with us to SDCC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
+1 Hive Pocket
Jaipur and Biblios are really good, but not the theme you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket one of our go-to travel and bar games.
Jaipur pretty quick and simple.
Splendor packs down small (skip the box) and a recent go-to for me and the hubs.
Traders of Osaka a reimplement of one of our favorites (has some great depth to it as a 2p game), comes out later this summer--perhaps before your trip?

I've played Star Realms on the ipad and really enjoyed it too.

You can also search for European game stores and game groups, you might be able to meet some people playing in Europe--how cool would that be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Andrews
United States
West Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
+1 for Space Hulk: Death Angel
+1 for Pandemic The Cure you can remove the circular "board" and keep track of Outbreaks and Epidemics with pen and paper.

Mr. Jack Pocket is a great 2 player, can be surprisingly thinky for it's small package.

Agent Hunter is a simple memory game, maybe not much replayability though.

Zombie Dice may be too light for you, but its a fun push your luck game in 13 dice.

ps--A girlfriend that will camp and play games! Marry that girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but it sounds like Impulse might be really good for this. It's a 4x card game.

+1 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game for your solo play idea.

+1 Oddball Aeronauts. You literally play the whole game in your hand.

+1 Innovation. This is the same designer as Impulse and offers lots of depth for playing over and over.

I really think you should buy a few of these and try them out before you go because you don't want to be stuck with a boring game for three months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly recommend Sellswords. Easy to play/teach.

Also if you're looking small with a good amount of playtime Tiny Epic Kingdoms is really really good, especially if you get deluxe content.

and since you're camping what would it be without some bugs? Hive Pocket comes with me everywhere.

If you asked my girlfreind, Machi Koro comes everywhere, but it is not fantasy themed, and we put it in and its expansion in a normal deck box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slindy Lindemans
msg tools
Hi all

again - thanks so much! I have already learned about so many new games, this is great. For now, I think I am most drawn to

Hive pocket
Star Realms
Tiny epic kingdom
Spacehulk card game
mr Jack pocket

But I havent even looked at all the games mentioned yet! I also heard about Game of Thrones card game: themewise, I think my girlfriend would like that. Looking at Warhammer diskwars, I also found Warhammer invasion (a theme I would like). Any good experiences with these two?

Anyways, I think I will follow Justin's advice and buy several games beforehand and try them out - what a great excuse!

thanks!

Stuart

PS Oh and Brian, YES, definitely ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Slindy61 wrote:
The game I'm looking for should be:
1- for 2 persons and/or co-op with solo variant
2- lightweight and small: I'm taking 15kg max on my bike, so game should preferably not be more than 500g
3- easy to play in a tent - we wont bring a table of course
4- preferably with a fantasy / sci fi theme

game | Condition NOT covered (see #ing above) | NOTES

Hanabi 4

Dominion 2*
don't take more than 1.5 sets worth of cards. Bring enough cards for 2 start decks, the "always on" cards (Copper, Silver, Estate, etc.), and 15 to 30 Kingdom cards. You'll also need a smaller, custom box.

Star Realms

Roll Through The Ages 4
Bring only 2 pegboards to cut back some weight. Use lid as dice tray

Zombie/Cthulu Dice
May be too filler and light. Find a flat surface for dice

Race For The Galaxy 2*
need card case that's much smaller than original box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good recommendations. I'm going to add Urbion for an interesting co-op.

Not sure how travel friendly it is but SOS Titanic is popular with my girlfriend.

Finally, some couple specific games: Mr. Jack Pocket and Battle Line are my most played couple games

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.