Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Abercrombie
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to create a board for C&C:A where I can build terrain. I have found the base material but am intimidated at the prospect of drawing the hex grid on the material. Thinking about creating a simple temple and either marking the center of the hex or the corners with a black or red dot to minimize my chances of goofing up a line.

Has anyone done this? If so, pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Ancients
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one way to do it.

http://prufrockian-gleanings.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-mak...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Abercrombie
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoA_BGG wrote:

That is what gave me the idea, but was trying to avoid drawing the lines. Was trying to get pictures on how just the corners or center denoted would look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Ancients
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do a little test using some dot stickers on a mat or spare bit of carpet. Using offset squares would be another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Abercrombie
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoA_BGG wrote:
You could do a little test using some dot stickers on a mat or spare bit of carpet. Using offset squares would be another option.

What do you mean by "offset squares"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used 1-foot cork tiles about 1/4" thick. Another nice aspect of cork is that it can be easily cut for making hills. One side of the cork is lightly sprayed with green paint, the other left natural. It's best to get your cork tiles from the same place.

Because I wasn't confident about making a hex grid, I decided to take inspiration from old-school wargames and use staggered squares. If I can find some pictures, I'll post them.

Edit: here's an example of staggered squares from the Second World War at Sea series. The idea is that you have rows of squares. The next row is offset by 1/2 the width of a square, then the next row returns to the layout of the original row. Doing so means that each square is surrounded by 6 others -> substitute hexagon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: All you have to do is define the hex. So it's not necessary (unless you like the aesthetic) to complete the line.

You could define the center of each hex with a .25"–.5" dot of color that contrasts against the surface. That would leave a "hex-less" appearance but still give the visual cues necessary for establishing the grid.

Or, mark the corners of a three-hex junction with a triskelion with the lines pointing in the direction of the next junction, then the hex grid will better suggest itself visually without the need to finish the line.

I have also seen effective hand-drawn grids where the lines aren't perfectly straight. It makes the board appear less artificial and a little more natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Abercrombie
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I used 1-foot cork tiles about 1/4" thick. Another nice aspect of cork is that it can be easily cut for making hills. One side of the cork is lightly sprayed with green paint, the other left natural. It's best to get your cork tiles from the same place.

Because I wasn't confident about making a hex grid, I decided to take inspiration from old-school wargames and use staggered squares. If I can find some pictures, I'll post them.

Interesting. I hadn't considered cork. I am interested in pictures if you can post them. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found them. I forget what battle this is. It involves a number of elephant units in the Carthage center.

Another note: because the various Commands & Colors games don't use the same number of hexes per sector, I've used red yarn to mark the sector boundaries.

Overview of both sides:

Roman left flank:

Carthage right flank:

Edit: You can see here that some of the squares are a different shade.

I used 3 squares per foot (4" per square) which works well with 15mm figures that are about 1.5" wide. Another note is that, because C&CA is 13 hexes wide by 12 deep, you need an extra column of staggered squares on 1 side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.