Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Frequently misplayed rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I'm getting into this game, and, with previous games of this sort, I have always found helpful to read the frequently misplayed rules files usually available.

I see there aren't any for Virgin Queen, any advice from your experience? It would be nice to write a list based on your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So these aren't necessarily frequent mistakes, but good to make sure are clear.

Hits are normally on 5 and 6, except for conversion where it is 4,5 and 6.

You can't assault a fortified port if the owner has ships in adjacent sea.
Also if owner has ship in port you must have more in adjacent sea. Naval superiority can protect you.

You can't build Spanish regulars in Netherlands, only Walloons.

You can only patron one each of artist and scientist each turn.

Paris and Central Europe VP.

England owns Dublin in campaign game, they do not automatically lose it even if another power activates Ireland.

Related to earlier point, understand how powers that can activate minors can lose keys due to others activating, this is especially true of Scotland, if England would invade France and take Edinburgh and protestants later activate Scotland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- The artist/scientist sponsored has to be chosen randomly (unless he's Italian).

- Fortresses that aren't ports (such as Montpellier and Perth) don't defend against piracy attempts. Neither do keys.

- When converting spaces, you need an adjacent space to have the same religion as the religion you are converting to, but that adjacent space doesn't have to be in the religious struggle area. It can even be overseas, if both the converted space and the adjacent space are ports.

- Portuguese treasure goes to the player who controls Lisbon, not necessarily to Portugal's ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Read
United Kingdom
BATH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:

- Fortresses that aren't ports (such as Montpellier and Perth) don't defend against piracy attempts.

Hi Fielmann

Where specifically does it say this? The rules state "1 die for each fortress controlled by the targeted power ... adjacent to the sea
zone where piracy is occurring."

Montpellier and Perth look adjacent to me. Has this been FAQed somewhere? Obviously this hinges on your definition of 'adjacent'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
certain death wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

- Fortresses that aren't ports (such as Montpellier and Perth) don't defend against piracy attempts.

Hi Fielmann

Where specifically does it say this? The rules state "1 die for each fortress controlled by the targeted power ... adjacent to the sea

Montpellier and Perth look adjacent to me. Has this been FAQed somewhere? Obviously this hinges on your definition of 'adjacent'
16.1:

"Ports are adjacent to one or two sea zones, as marked with the anchor symbol. Sea zones are adjacent to all ports with symbols in their zone and all sea zones that share a common sea zone boundary."

Also: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17138137#17138137
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Read
United Kingdom
BATH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
certain death wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

Hi Fielmann

16.1:

"Ports are adjacent to one or two sea zones, as marked with the anchor symbol. Sea zones are adjacent to all ports with symbols in their zone and all sea zones that share a common sea zone boundary."

Thanks mate, what you were saying made sense, I just wanted to be clear rules wise; especially when you could consider that thematically a coastal fortress, say on a cliff, might have no port, but still be able to bombard passing piratical types!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
certain death wrote:
Fielmann wrote:
certain death wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

Hi Fielmann

16.1:

Thanks mate, what you were saying made sense, I just wanted to be clear rules wise; especially when you could consider that thematically a coastal fortress, say on a cliff, might have no port, but still be able to bombard passing piratical types!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart. or verisimilitude in this game system. Eg., the minor ports (Dunkirk) which
are available to invade England when they were wholly inadequate to the purpose in real life.

You guys thought I was gone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I dunno ... we managed to evacuate a whole army through Dunkirk ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.