Subject: The Solo Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several solo games and was wondering what everyone else thoughts of this game are as a solo game? So far I have mixed feelings, it is obviously a great game mechanically and flow wise, but really the solo games seems to be missing for me.... but it maybe just me or the team draws I have gotten thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own, but I think it might be you. You are the first person I've read who didn't like the solo experience. I love it. It is as challenging and as much identical to the two player experience as any board game I have ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the solo game is fantastic. It's more elegant than I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted it may have been just the draw I got on the opposition team and card turns.... I'll play some more series and like I said I do not dislike the game at all, far from it, I will play through some more series and see how they play out.

Also, how many buy rounds are you guys using prior to start of the series?

Cheers,
PE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo game is solid, but doesn't come close to playing against a live opponent who can make intelligent decisions. The solo game is really reliant on the players that end up in the opposing deck. If they have no synergy or require cards to be played in a certain order, then you will beat it easily. This past weekend I played two series with two buy rounds each and won easily 4-0 and 4-2. I'm considering a variant of the solo rules where if the opponent's player has the pinch hitter symbol and its immediate action whiffs, you discard it to play the next card. That might ramp the challenge back up. I'd rather not play with fewer buy rounds since that means I won't get to upgrade my team as much, which is half of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
The solo game is solid, but doesn't come close to playing against a live opponent who can make intelligent decisions. The solo game is really reliant on the players that end up in the opposing deck. If they have no synergy or require cards to be played in a certain order, then you will beat it easily. This past weekend I played two series with two buy rounds each and won easily 4-0 and 4-2. I'm considering a variant of the solo rules where if the opponent's player has the pinch hitter symbol and its immediate action whiffs, you discard it to play the next card. That might ramp the challenge back up. I'd rather not play with fewer buy rounds since that means I won't get to upgrade my team as much, which is half of the fun.

If you want to ramp up, the easier and more effective way to do it is 1 or 0 buy rounds. Plus, it is right there in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo variant for this game is one of the very best I've ever run across. I've only played 5 series with it, but it's incredibly smooth, and I lost 4 out of the 5 series. It frustrates me--many times i lose a game in the bottom of the 9th and a few times in extra innings. Grrrrr!

What I love about it is not having to think or go through a bunch of mechanics for the AI, yet it gives you a good (for me so far--great) challenge. It's also a fast setup time and delivers a fun, increasingly tense experience.

When you're down 3-2 in a series and in the late innings of the 6th game, sweat droplets drip...and your lower lip gets a workout from your teeth.

Not that it ever happened to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
The solo variant for this game is one of the very best I've ever run across. I've only played 5 series with it, but it's incredibly smooth, and I lost 4 out of the 5 series. It frustrates me--many times i lose a game in the bottom of the 9th and a few times in extra innings. Grrrrr!

What I love about it is not having to think or go through a bunch of mechanics for the AI, yet it gives you a good (for me so far--great) challenge. It's also a fast setup time and delivers a fun, increasingly tense experience.

When you're down 3-2 in a series and in the late innings of the 6th game, sweat droplets drip...and your lower lip gets a workout from your teeth.

Yes. Mirrors many of my feelings. I won with 3 and 2 buys but haven't yet won with 1 and haven't tried with 0. Plan another session with 1 buy tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:

If you want to ramp up, the easier and more effective way to do it is 1 or 0 buy rounds. Plus, it is right there in the rules.

Like I said, I'd rather not do fewer buys because that gives me less opportunity to mold my team, which is a big part of the game for me. With 0 or 1 buy round, you're probably only going to add 6-8 players over the course of a 7-game series, and many of those will only see play once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
rickert wrote:
AdmiralACF wrote:

Like I said, I'd rather not do fewer buys because that gives me less opportunity to mold my team, which is a big part of the game for me. With 0 or 1 buy round, you're probably only going to add 6-8 players over the course of a 7-game series, and many of those will only see play once.

As I said, to each his own, but I think 75 percent of the fun is trying to win with whatever 6 cards you are dealt, even if the other player (AI or human) gets 6 better cards. Plus it sounds like you have really exceptional live opponents who always create synergy in their decks and make the optimal move in every card they play. Why not just pick the 15 cards for the AI? You will know what he has in his deck but that's true against a human player as well. Plus there will be that synergy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:

Oh, now I get it. They said they decreased the innings from 9 to 6. 6 innings, 6 cards. Each card represents the highlight of that inning.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
FYI

The Solo game is harder if you deal the AI its team from the original core 60 Free Agent cards instead of including the expansion cards. There are less immediate actions that will not fire for the AI that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
FYI

The Solo game is harder if you deal the AI its team from the original core 60 Free Agent cards instead of including the expansion cards. There are less immediate actions that will not fire for the AI that way.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I just shuffled all the expansions together as soon as I got the game, so that's probably a factor in making the AI opponent less difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
One, please
mbmbmbmbmb
I experienced the same thing; putting all the expansions in made the solo AI a weaker opponent.

The question I have is how often does anyone win the first game of a seven game series against the AI? I find I'm always concentrating only on generating enough money to get a good buy round. I almost feel like I'm throwing the first game (or two).

But I guess to counter that...it is very exciting to sometimes eek out a win in that first game against the AI!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulling out expansion cards for the AI deck would take a lot more setup and teardown every game though.

I like that setup is normally less than a minute or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Olson
United States
Woodbine
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
One, please
mbmbmbmbmb
I can agree with your desire to get started quickly. However, I don't want anyone reading this to get the opinion that set-up for this deckbuilder (even solo) is terribly complex. The Free Agent cards are marked clear enough. Building the AI deck from Free Agent cards only happens once at the beginning of the series (not each mini-game). I suppose the more expansions you have the more cards it would be to sort through. But to reset the game you have to sort cards to remake the starting decks anyway.

I guess it depends on your experience with other deckbuilders. I've recently played through a few sessions of Legendary Encounters: Alien which is a card sorting nightmare compared to BH2045.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the solo game with just the base deck. It plays fine without the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just keep all expansions shuffled into free agent deck, deal out 15 cards to AI. If he flips over a expansion card, I just replace with top card of FA deck for hopefully a base FA....and so on and so on until all his cards are just base game FA deck. Alot easier to set up IMO. plus then you just shuffle FA deck after every mini game before the buy round and your good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
BankerNot1 wrote:
I experienced the same thing; putting all the expansions in made the solo AI a weaker opponent.

The question I have is how often does anyone win the first game of a seven game series against the AI?

I played six solo series with no buy-rounds testing the new iOS app. I won four of the series, but always lost Game 1. My best result was a 4-1 series win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.