Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That people seem put off about? Okay, again, call me a newbie, but I just got Eastern, Sands, and Scenario Book #1 (Expansion set is coming, on backorder) and I'm looking at the maps...

So my real question is: Couldn't we all just play the maps at, say, 50 yds a hex? The only thing I can think of ending up crazy is the ranges of the weapons. Obviously a rifle can fire farther than 6 hexes/300 yds, but with what kinds of accuracy?

So let me know. Maybe I just haven't played enough wargames. I'm sure someone out there smarter than me ('cause that's not hard to accomplish) can easily see how switching the size of the hexes around breaks the game, but from the maps I'm looking at, they don't look as though they would have anything that would affect the gameplay.

I don't know, I just tinker by nature. My wife says I can "make anything into Risk" I just haven't ever told her about ASL...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Or is this a"Variant" What about that 100 yard hex size
Not only the weapon range but movement would be affected as well. Most units move 2 hexes. You're talking about guys running two football field lengths per turn. If you had 50mn hexes, then what? Four hexes per turn?

But there's another problem: Stacking. In other squad level games I've played, there are stacking limits in those 50m hexes. In Sergeants!, none. If hexes were only 50m, then you would have to establish some stacking limits.

Finally, the maps ARE 100m hexes. You could "pretend" the hexes are 50m but then the maps wouldn't look right at all. If hexes were 50m then the buildings are really tiny, because they take up one hex.

I think that the 100m hexes are part of what puts the simplicity into Sergeants! The game is NOT meant to be a Lock n Load, or ASL. I played the other day with a guy who is a big Squad Leader player and he enjoyed the game and had nothing bad to say at all about the hex scale.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the scale. To me, the little guys are moving around, hiding, shooting, clobbering each other. The fact that some "realism" has been taken out by larger hexes and simpler rules doesn't bother me at all. I still like the other Squad game I have (Lock n Load) but Sergeants is just very easy and fun to play. I'm not sure what all the 100m hype is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sergeants is just very easy and fun to play. I'm not sure what all the 100m hype is about.

First off before you read the rest of this post, Mark, I'm on your side in the end. Play the dang thing and have fun. The rest of the post is a friendly debate of game mechanics, which if you don't want to do, just lemme know...

I knew that the time scale of the turns would have to change in order to take account for the movement rules staying the same, but in looking at the maps, I felt that the houses/buildings represented in the hex wouldn't suffer all that much. As for stacking, We're talking single men here (no pun intended). There's only fifty guys (or less) to a side in most scenarios. Why can't they all be in the same hex? I can fit fifty people in the 70' x 50' lot that my house sits on much less a 50m hex with my house at the center. 'Course if you want to bunch your guys up so that my well-placed machine gun burst can hit them all, that's your problemdevil. But in a single-man per counter game, why would there have to be a stacking limit? I suppose there is a limit somewhere, but not with the amount of counters provided...

I was just thinking that people who were offput by it could find a way to look past it. When I cut my early wargaming teeth playing Centurion and Battletech and Ambush, I don't recall worrying a whole lot about what the hex sizes were. I just played. That's the idea I was trying to get across. I was thinking of that people could look at the map as 50m and then see the game as Memoir 44-ish, where the terrain type for the hex just is that, the terrain-type for that hex. Which is what's in the rules anyways.

And Lsatly, like I said earlier, maybe I should just stop worrying about how other people see the game, just play it, and have fun. Though I hate to see an endeavor like this go down for such a silly thing, so I'm willing to spend a little effort trying to bring it to the masses.

PS. Mark, I posted my earlier comment on the LBG boards too, no need to reply twice unless you're trying to make the conversation there complete.

MJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh!!! "Lsatly" is how my kids in class would write.

"Mr. Jones! That says, 'lastly,' DUH!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.