Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Legends of Andor as the best fantasy adventure game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Fehner
msg tools
Learning that Kosmos will be putting out the Andor expansions, I have been really thinking about getting Legends of Andor.

Is this game the best fantasy adventure game out there? I'm not looking into buying another dungeon crawl fantasy game. I know Andor seems more like fantasy adventure which is exactly what I'm looking for in a fantasy board game.

Is Andor the best fantasy adventure co-op or is there another that would be even better?

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game, and initially enjoyed it, although it is more of a puzzle to me...and I grew tired of it after a few plays.

That being said, the artwork is pretty fantastic, and the components are not bad at all either.

My opinion is that there are better co-op fantasy-based board games out there.

Runebound (Second Edition)...I have this game and it is quite solid, although it is probably going to be a bit hard to find.

Shadows of Malice...my personal favorite fantasy board game right now...can be played solo, up to 8 people.

Mage Knight Board Game...I bought this, top-notch components. Many people really like it...I liked it alright, but did not really scratch my itch. Also, with more than 2 people, this is an all-afternoon affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MageKnight, Andor, and Defenders of the Realm all have a puzzle feel. I own the last and its ok, but not the adventure game I was looking for.

Runebound 2nd edition is really good but not for more than 3 players. It is also out of print and getting the game and expansions is expensive because of this.

My 1st choice is Talisman, it is an epic fantasy adventure. I started with 2nd edition in the 80's and now play 4th edition. Great game.

Another game I recommend next is Prophecy.

Prophecy is lighter than Talisman, and many prefer its character development and movement style.

Return of the Heroes is supposed to be pretty good but is out of print. I haven't played it, but it looked promising to me.

Another good one is one of the Warcraft board games, I forget which one, and you have to be careful because there are different ones, but I am not a WoW fan so I didn't explore it further.

I am a huge fan of fantasy board games, 5 of my top 10 games are fantasy based. Others I play are dungeon crawls and know the difference but you didn't want those, so I avoided them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Legends of Andor is the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hard to know if it is the best if you haven't played them all. But, yes, it is the best I have ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Malice and Mage Knight are both better, if you ask me.

SoM has a great ruleset that is streamlined. It tells a story through the actions of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's OOP, but I think Magic Realm tops them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike Andor.
I would suggest mage knight plus lost legion expansion as well.

The best dungeon crawler by far is descent and here you got plenty of replayability PLUS every expansion is a no-brainer and there are allready plenty of them with more coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.