Subject: Forget or get black goat for collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tee Dius
Australia
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i've now got all expansions except black goat and miskatonic. i'll be getting miskatonic next, but is it still worthwhile getting black goat to complete the collection?

reading posts, most mention that the three other small box expansions are far better, the mechanic isnt that good etc.....and i saw a comment that one of the other small box basically superseded black goat, so it worthwhile just forgetting about it (and resist the collectionist tendencies), or still interesting to add in, and made all the better when used with miskatonic.

ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the Corruption mechanic is that it just isn't triggered all that often, particularly when you've mixed in other expansions. It does add more investigator cards, monsters, and a herald as well, so if you want those then I'd say get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it just depends on what you want, but ultimately I would agree that it is the least essential of all the expansions. I've never use the herald, and thus never used the corruption cards. The "Cult of the Thousand" is a pretty useless mechanic as the odds of getting the membership are really low and not actually beneficial once you have it. Ultimately it becomes a "more of the same" expansion. If you just want to have extra items, mythos cards, etc. to add some variety its worth the money (IMHO), but if you actually want new mechanics or a game changer, you will be OK to pass on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding my voice to the above chorus. Black Goat is the least of the Arkham expansions... but is still pretty good.

My group never uses the herald, but we do keep the location cards in the neighborhood decks to fill them out. (Our usual location mix is base, Dunwich, Black Goat, King in Yellow and Miskatonic, which keeps the decks at a manageable size but provides lots of variety. Cult of a Thousand and Corruption get triggered every half dozen games or so.)

We have rotated the Mythos cards in on occasion, and they are very atmospheric, giving more monster oriented game. However, we only use Mythos andOther World cards from the base game, one large expansion, one small and Miskatonic at any one time due to dilution concerns.

The additional monsters will make your monster cup just a tad more vicious, and make Dark Young fairly common, but we like this.

Finally, the small investigator cards (items, spells, skills, etc.) we use every game. If I didn't own it, I would buy the expansion just to have those. I would miss those games carrying around the Milk of Shub-niggurath and trying to decide if we were desperate enough to use it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Base + DH + BGotW using the herald and Shub as AO is pretty epic. Use only big cards from Base, DH, & BGotW (including added ones form MH). Use all relavent small cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I am absolutely in the minority regarding this expansion. It's my favorite of all the expansions, including the big boxers.

The Corruption mechanic can trigger repeatedly, dependent upon, of course how many hex monsters the investigators collect as trophies. (Defeat a hex monster, draw a Corruption). I've only lost two games through all of the corruption cards being drawn, but I've had numerous close calls.

In order to get rid of the corruption, a gate matching the symbol has to be closed or sealed. In order for that to happen, you've got to draw one of those gates; as you know, not always a given.

My favorite aspect of the expansion is a second monster bag containing only hex monsters and when a gate opens, two monsters are drawn, one from each bag. In addition, Dark Young move!

Did I mention that there are nine hex monsters in the expansion, three of which are Dark Young?

The Cult of 1,000 Young has its own deck, drawn from if an investigator joins the cult. This doesn't come into play much, because by the time someone becomes a member, there's not much reason to go to one of the three locations that require a member to draw the cult encounter, except if a late, random clue is placed there. Also, the encounters are universally bad.

This is much improved with Innsmouth Horror, which adds more cards to the Cult encounter deck, many of which are favorable. Innsmouth Horror also has a special Skill card for each of the existing expansions, Black Goat being Initiate, which requires the owner of that Skill to become a member of said Cult.

All of that being said, I also only use one expansion at a time; so, I don't have a problem with dilution or the effects not triggering.

Highly recommended, despite being in the minority.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Partridge
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I personally feel Black Goat is a better expansion compared to Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. Black Goat has enough mechanic changes that it feels like a new addition. Black Goat is harder and it usually makes for shorter games by waking up the AO quicker. I always place the Black Goat encounter cards on top, so I have a greater chance of joining the cult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
It's a buy. It took a lot of flack early on but as players started picking up on it its reputation has gone up.

Complete the collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Herald there is. No more free turns with monster surges not moving the doom track. Plus, using the Herald, Corruption is pretty much guaranteed to come into play. Now granted, Common and Unique Items are, umm, disappointing, no, that's putting it mildly .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an "all-in" player, and while I don't use the Herald from this expansion, many of the components are just great!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Dius
Australia
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, collection is now complete (including black goat )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Black Goat and use it quite often along with a big box expansion (and Misk Horror to tie the room together).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.