7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Full disclosure, out of the 3 I have played DCDB and recently SotM. I have played multiple games of DC and only 2 of SotM within the last week.

Remember when all 3 games originally came out SotM was declaired the best by public opinion in the BGG forums? Now all 3 games have multiple expansions and several mini expansions. The three game companies' developers have fleshed out their core mechanics while progressing a strong creative direction. In addition, they have innovationed their individual gaming engines with additional mechanics to better reflect the fluid nature of simulating a comic book brought to a gaming table.

With that said, I'm wondering how everyone feels these games are doing comparatively in these category (including all additional mechanics):

1) Theme (recreating comic book battles and stories within the game's structure).
2) Fun.
3) Easy of set up and breakdown.
4) Easy of play (learning and teaching with new mechanics included).
5) Replaybilty with new mechanics and sets added.
6) Quality of expansions.
7) Intergration of additional game mechanics beyond the core rules.
6) Potential for future growth as a gaming engine.

I understand these games are not all deck builders but they are all cards games with a super hero theme. They can be compared because no matter the mechanics, they are all trying to acheive the same thing- simulationg comic book battles and stories. Just because one is DC, one is Marvel, and one is completely created doesn't mean they can't be compared. They are all recreating a similar storytelling structure, fantasy settings and character design and development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was an early naysayer of DC dbg, but it's the one that captured my heart in the end, and it's getting better and better with each expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Bui
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freedfromthematrix2 wrote:
Full disclosure, out of the 3 I have played DCDB and recently SotM. I have played multiple games of DC and only 2 of SotM within the last week.

Remember when all 3 games originally came out SotM was declaired the best by public opinion in the BGG forums? Now all 3 games have multiple expansions and several mini expansions. The three game companies' developers have fleshed out their core mechanics while progressing a strong creative direction. In addition, they have innovationed their individual gaming engines with additional mechanics to better reflect the fluid nature of simulating a comic book brought to a gaming table.

With that said, I'm wondering how everyone feels these games are doing comparatively in these category (including all additional mechanics):

1) Theme (recreating comic book battles and stories withing the game's structure).
2) Fun.

I understand these games are not all deck builders but they are all cards games with a super hero theme. They can be compared because no matter the mechanics, they are all trying to acheive the same thing- simulationg comic book battles and stories. Just because one is DC, one is Marvel, and one is completely created doesn't mean they can't be created. They are all recreating a similar storytelling structure, fantasy settings and character design and development.

I am not a professional reviewer or anything so just saying I don't know everything about board games. These are just my opinions.

1) Theme- All have cool themes. I feel Marvel Legendary has the best theme with the masterminds and schemes to overcome playing as the superheroes or vce versa playing as the villains. Sentinels also has a great theme, second IMO to Legendary. The supervillain works nice with the locations so I do feel like I am a superhero with their cool powers trying to beat them. DC deck does have simple theme as playing as the superheroes to beat the supervillains with special abilities or vice versa with forever evil which I like. Theme probably does lack little less because people complain situations like where Batman would not have super strength or heat vision. But I do enjoy the new additions which are the crisis expansions which make the themes a little more cool to play with.

2) Fun- For me, I love the dc comics deck builder the most. I have the most fun with my friends and family with this game. When we play board games this is the game we would bring out over the other two. We love DC comics too so that is factor. Marvel Legendary is the next one that is most fun for me. I do enjoy this game a lot and have fun combining heroes together to beat the masterminds. Sentinels is a solid game and we like playing as these new heroes. But it is the less fun for me since with my group, we prefer the Marvel and DC comics games more.

3) Easy of set up and breakdown- Most simple game to set up is the DC game. So quick to set up and breakdown the game. My little 10 year old brother does it for me at times. We all prefer this game since it takes shortest to prepare to play. Marvel Legendary probably takes the longest to set up. Minimum over 5 minutes usually for us, picking the various setup cards and which groups to play with takes time. Sentinels has medium set up time for us. It just is picking from the various heroes, villains, and locations is what takes up most time probably.

4) Easy of play- DC comics deck builder is the most simple to play and teach IMO. I can teach my little brother or other little kids. I teach teenagers or my girlfriend and her friends. It is easiest to understand for other people in my play groups that aren't gamers. I usually teach the dc comics game first because it makes it easier to teach Marvel Legendary. It isn't too hard to teach this game because with power in the DC version, it is just split into fight and recruitment against vilains and heroes. But in the end, main objective is to beat supervillain like DC and true winner of game has the most the victory points. So I find between the two there are relatable components. SOM not too hard to teach since main point is to just cause damage to supervillain and bring his HP to 0. It mostly is just playing cards, using powers and dealing damage with various combos obviously.

5) Replaybilty with new mechanics and sets added- I think Marvel Legendary has most replaybility since they have so much possibilities with who the heroes/villians face and the different henchman groups and schemes to overcome. Great game with MANY ways to play. But DC comics me and my group love this game a lot. And even though it is simple doesn't have that many cards as other two games. We love playing this game the most, and with its simplicity it makes it the preferred game for us to play. SOM has a lot of cards also so there can be a lot of different situations in this game also. Many different villains and heroes to choose from with various locations too.

6) Quality of expansions- I like all the expansions that come with these gams. They all introduce new cool things to play with. I prefer the DC and Marvel games so far since they introduce plsying as the villains and heroes which is pretty cool. Marvel has cool expansions but their theme is already solid so it doesn't really change much. DC comics usually has same mechanics and nothing big changes, but I like the crisis themes, and how forever evil is more destruction.

7) Intergration of additional game mechanics beyond the core rules- Besides crisis expansions to add more to DC games and switching to play as villains for DC & Marvel games. I am not sure what other integrations are used. Everything else is mostly the same for me with these games. I did like additions made for both games though

8) Potential for future growth as a gaming engine-I feel Marvel Legendary could be used to produce a lot more cool games with their gaming engine. The idea of combining a group of heroes together to beat a supevillain with a specific scheme and stop the henchman from advancing through the city is a very cool theme for this game. I do like the DC game a lot though since we get to play a Superhero to beat various supervillains and the crisis add more things to overcome. This gaming engine is more simple but I enjoy it and there could be fixes to make it more enjoyable and thematic. The engine for SOM is cool one though and I do like how they made sentinel tactics which is fun game also. SOM has grown a lot with their gaming engine and getting more recognition, but I still feel the Marvel & DC games have more potential since they are well known for their popularity in comic world.

Overall I do enjoy all three games a lot. I own all three and every expansion and almost every promo card except some in SOM. They are all 3 solid games IMO suitable for different types of gamers. I feel DC game is fun for competitive tournaments and I recently participated in a couple while other games are cooperative and have more team work involved. But I feel SOM & Legendary Marvel get the better reviews and they do deserve it. But my opinion overall in my enjoyment with my gaming group is ranked in order:

1. DC deck builder
2. Marvel Legendary
3. Sentinels of Multiverse

Just my opinion and ranked how much these games will stick with me and I would love to hear other feedback/comments from people. But I am more biased (I'll admit) since I do love DC comics the most, then Marvel Comics, then SOM since it is a great game but I don't find too much enjoyment in their comic books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

1) Theme (recreating comic book battles and stories withing the game's structure).
2) Fun.

Fair warning, I'm a DC fan boy, but I own all three.

1) Theme:
First: Marvel, this does the best job of replicating a comic book story line.
Second: Sentinels, this does the best job of replicating the final climatic battle.
Third: DCDBG, getting better, but still not really a comic theme.

2) Fun:
First: DCDBG all the way.
Second: Sentinels usually a great time, but falls flat once in a while.
Third: Meh. I really don't enjoy this one much, I keep it for my game group.

3)Ease of Set Up/Breakdown:
First: DCDBG, less than a minute.
Second: Sentinels (though it's the most fun to set up, I wanna be...)
Third: Marvel, actually a bit of a chore to set up and even more to break down.

4) Ease of Play:
First: DCDBG. Two minutes to teach and the cards are pretty straight forward.
Second: Marvel. Fairly straight forward, though combos can get complicated, especially with villians.
Third: Sentinels. A HUGE amount of text on the cards, independent play, and multiple modifiers can really make this game difficult to teach.

5) Replayability:
First: Sentinels. Infinite possibility in infinite combinations.
Second: DCDBG. Changing starting characters lead to fun new strategies, plus huge number of cards.
Third: Pretty much feels the same to me. Changing the mastermind and schemes doesn't seem to change the game as much.

6) Quality of expansions:
First: Sentinels. Fantastic quality through all the products with no drop in quality between expansions.
Second: DCDBG. Each expansion has included some new mechanics and new ideas (especially Forever Evil), but the new characters are the key. Also, not a huge fan of the crisis concept. Extends the game a bit too long.
Third: Marvel. Just didn't seem to make as big a difference.

7) Integration of mechanics beyond the base game:
First: Sentinels. Every character has it's own mechanics and rules, but all flow beautifully into the main game.
Second: DCDBG, each expansion adds something new. The victory points in forever evil, the crisises, etc.
Third: See all feels the same from before.

8) Potential for future growth:
Three way tie. I think all have reached a point where they are or could be considered done. I will keep buying the expansions for DCDBG and Sentinels (probably not Marvel), but none of these games need to be expanded at this point.

Overall Rankings:
1) DCDBG
2) Sentinels
3) Marvel

Thank you and good night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. DC is competitive, Marvel is semi-coop, and SotM is fully coop.

For DC, I eventually stopped playing it and gave it away to my sister. The decisions were becoming too predictable, so the game started feeling like it played itself. And the randomness of who gets the overpowered hero, who gets the first chance to buy the overpowered cards that show up, etc. also made it less fun. But we played the game dozens and dozens of times (if not over a hundred) before it got to the point where it just wasn't fun any more. So it was well worth the price, and I'd still recommend it to others since you'll get plenty of mileage out of it.

For Marvel, I play it a lot less often now. It's still a great game, and I'd still play it in a heartbeat. The issue is just Legendary: Alien Encounters is even better, and is way too similar to want to play both. But that's due to the fully cooperative aspect, and the teamwork Aliens requires. I love that stuff. Marvel is still a great game though, and I wouldn't get rid of it. Due to the cooperative nature, it also doesn't suffer as badly from poorly balanced cards.

For Sentinels, I am actually liking it more and more as time goes by. I still like it a lot less than Marvel, and less than I enjoyed DC until it got repetitive and predictable. But it has kind of proven its staying power at this point. Unlike Marvel and DC, each player is a unique hero. That is a definitely unique aspect, and a very pleasant one that is great when you're in the mood to act like a super hero.

1-Theme) Sentinels -> Marvel ---------> DC
2-Fun-at first) DC -> Marvel -------> Sentinels
2-Fun-after a lot of plays) Marvel -> Sentinels --------> DC
3-Set up) DC -> Sentinels ------> Marvel
4-Learning) DC -> Sentinels -> Marvel (all very close)
5-Replayability) Sentinels -> Marvel ---> DC
6-Expansions) Marvel -> Sentinels ----> DC
7-Extra mechanics) Sentinels ----> Marvel --> DC
8-Future potential) Marvel -> Sentinels --------> DC

So if you want a quick, easy game that anyone can be taught easily, get DC. You'll get plenty of fun out of it before you get sick of it.

If you want a game that is wildly different every time you play, and makes you a unique hero that plays entirely different to everyone else, and some will love, but others will hate, get Sentinels.

If you want a game that is more fun to more people, but takes a lot more work to set up, is very heavy deck-builder feel, and plays similarly enough from game to game to develop common strategies, but different enough to stay interesting, get Marvel. (the villain+environments feel pretty samey though, where most are just punch hard to win. A few expansions had a few different ones that made you play differently, but they're the exception and not the rule. I expect that will improve over time)

Or get all 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midnight Rider wrote:
I was an early naysayer of DC dbg, but it's the one that captured my heart in the end, and it's getting better and better with each expansion.

For me, the exact opposite has happened. Each expansion has added more and more incredibly powerful cards for low cost that completely ruin the balance of the game. The initial box was amazingly well balanced with almost no overpowered, each expansion adds more and more amazing cards for low cost/cost not relative to their abilities/points. Like the cards that give you +1 power for each hero in your hand/discard pile.. and costs 2. You can easily get +10 power from that card. Or the cards that are worth 1 point for each villain you have at the end of the game. Easily worth more points then a supervillain. I think it's going in a direction that ruins the game. I haven't bought Forever Evil for that reason, though I have played it 5+ times with friends.

Anyways, onto your questions:

Theme: Sentinels- Legendary- DC

Fun: DC-Sentinels-Legendary

Ease of Set Up: DC-Sentinels, THEN A HUGE GAP and Legendary

Replayability: Sentinels, Legendary, LONG GAP, DC

Quality: Sentinels, Legendary, HUGE HUGE HUGE GAP TO DC

Integration: Sentinels, DC, giant chasm to Legendary

Potential: This is a sticky question. Sentinels was announced with a fix number of expansions and there are only 2 or 3 left. They have other games to continue the story.

Though, I'd still go with Sentinels-Legendary-DC

Now, onto real thoughts:

I've owned all 3 games and this is my thoughts:

Legendary was a fun game but it was a massive pain to put together/take down. I traded it away because it takes longer to set up a fight then it does to play it. That's a huge problem in my book. It's fun, but not that fun.

DC has been played 140+ times because it is quick and easy to play. It has problems with power creep, luck, and someone getting too many good cards too quickly so they win easily, but it is still a solid game. That being said, I am not planning on getting anything else for it. I own the base game, Heroes Unite, and both Crisis expansions, and feel that each expansion has less and less playtesting and more and more completely overpowered cards in it that throw off the balance of the game and ruin it for me. The base game was extremely well done, the rest of these not so much. It also suffers because each expansion keeps the same mechanics just with different cards. There is only so much variety you can add into the game.

Sentinels has been played 100+ times by me and I love it so much I started a monthly challenge for people on BGG. It is amazing. It has theme out the wazoo, and it is their custom theme. Each hero/environment/villain is different and plays completely different. Each one is thought out and well balanced. Some I like more/less due to personal taste, but they are all well loved and used. It has problems with fiddliness that are overcome with plays, but is still incredibly fun to play.

Really, it depends on what you want. More solo play? Sentinels, hands down. Large groups? DC is a lot of fun. Have a lot of time to set up/take down? Legendary.

However, I would recommend Sentinels first, DC second, Legendary last. I won't trade Sentinels ever, and DC would have to have a huge reason for me to trade it. Legendary got the boot and I'm not regretting it one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
RichardU wrote:
I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. DC is competitive, Marvel is semi-coop, and SotM is fully coop.

This is why new game mechanics are added to this comparison. Semi-coop and coop have been added in the Crisis sets of the DCDB so it can be compared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:

This is why new game mechanics are added to this comparison. Semi-coop and coop have been added in the Crisis sets of the DCDB so it can be compared.

That would be an even more unfair comparison. DC isn't a terrible game, but it sure would sound like it if you wanted me to talk about their idea of coop as implemented in the Crisis expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
RichardU wrote:

That would be an even more unfair comparison. DC isn't a terrible game, but it sure would sound like it if you wanted me to talk about their idea of coop as implemented in the Crisis expansion.

Agreed. The coop mode really feels like Cryptozoic added it in to appease the nay-sayers that claimed the theme didn't work with the heroes fighting each other. It takes a great game that already has the potential of sometimes going a little too long and extends the play time to a point where I've usually stopped caring about half way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools

1) Theme (recreating comic book battles and stories within the game's structure).
2) Fun.

I understand these games are not all deck builders but they are all cards games with a super hero theme. They can be compared because no matter the mechanics, they are all trying to acheive the same thing- simulationg comic book battles and stories. Just because one is DC, one is Marvel, and one is completely created doesn't mean they can't be compared. They are all recreating a similar storytelling structure, fantasy settings and character design and development.

1) I think that Legendary and Sentinels do a better job telling a story. But DC is SO much more thematic in the details of each card. Almost every card's mechanics somehow relate the that particular character's theme.

2) They are all fun IMO. With different groups you can easily make the appropriate game work.

3) This is where Marvel is lagging. You can play a game of DC while a small army is setting up the legendary match. The others are fine. There is some sorting and what not, but nothing compared Legendary.

4) I think DC is the easiest to pick up and learn. Your character tells you what cards you would want to go for. That alone reduces stress of needing to know everything. Sentinels is a bit of a chore, but once you get the process it gets easier.

5) I think DC is the least on the replays. But 10 good games is not bad.

7) I think Sentinels is the only one that will be able to do that. Crisis was fun to make DC pure COOP, but not needed IMO. I know Legendary will get new things added into them, but it would be nigh impossible to have them blend into the older sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sentinel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three and have played them multiple times. Legendary is my favorite by a mile, even though I've always preferred DC to Marvel.

Sentinels is fiddly, and we found it to be very boring to play, honestly. The few combos that each hero has take forever to pull off. It feels like playing in slow motion. I do like the environments though, and it's very sound thematically. And there's lots of replayability with all the heroes and villains and environments.

DCDBG is OK for a quick game, but the theme is very poorly integrated and every game plays the same. Not much in the way of strategy. The outcome feels random, and the avatar heroes from the original game are not well balanced, IMHO.

Legendary's combination of schemes and masterminds and heroes means every game plays differently. Replayability is off the charts. Lots of combos. Very fun. While it's not the most strategic game ever designed, compared to the above games, I really appreciate how strategic it is, comparatively. I typically devise a strategy before the game begins as to which cards to add to my deck, and figuring out the synergies between the heroes is paramount to playing well. Every expansion they've released is great and worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.