Railways of the World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anyone want to make a new map? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If so, I can provide a background map for pretty much anywhere in the world using the software I wrote for my UK map:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/148344
(It's a bit clumsy at the moment, but if I get time to tidy it up I'll post it in the general game aids section).

Having got the background image, paste it into OpenOffice Draw (but I guess Microsoft PowerPoint will do too. I've heard good things about InkScape).

Next you need to draw a hex grid. Real hexes are difficult, but there is a very close approximation which works well. Define a fine grid, about 1/15th of the size of the hexes you want. Turn on 'snap to grid'. Using the polygon tool, you can now draw an approximate hex on this grid.

The vertical edges should be 8 grid steps high. The diagonal edges go 4 grid steps vertically, and 7 grid steps horizontally. The resulting hex is 14 grids wide (edge-edge) and 16 grids tall (point-point).

Having drawn a hex, cut and paste it to make a row of hexes. Snap to Grid should match them up correctly. Then cut and paste a row offset to make the second row. Finally cut and paste pairs of rows to fill the board. You probably want to select all your hexes at this point and group them into a single object.

You may want to resize your image at this point. The original board is about 30 hexes each way. The UK board is longer but narrower. The Europe board shorter but wider. I think the two new US boards are a bit smaller.

To make a city set a fill colour for a hex. (You could also add a city image if you want). For sea, select and delete a group of hexes. (OO Draw allows you to open a group and edit its parts - I presume PPT can do this).

I made little hill symbols and cut and pasted them, however you could also use transparent filled hexes to change the colour of the hills without hiding the background image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Hexes, one approach is to use one of the online pdf hex generator sites. After creating a map in the right size in photoshop, you can place the hex pdf over it and there you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the first one: a Western US map. I've posted it in the Miscellaneous Game Accessory section, as it could be used for a range of other games.

I've only done a simple full correction for the curvature of the earth, so the horizontal varies slightly between top and bottom, but it's not too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah i have been thinking about making something. do you have a map of iowa ?
http://www.milebymile.com/main/United_States/Iowa/maps.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's Eastern China. I did Iowa too, but I sent that privately instead of uploading it because I thought it was less likely to be of general interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one last map - this one unrequested. I'll do some more if people ask for them. Japan:

Now this one is a serious challenge because of all the mountains. I would rotate the image and crop it to keep just the main island and eliminate a lot of sea.

The geography is going to make for lots of narrow corridors. How are you going to make people interact? I haven't a clue. If someone gives this a try, I'm very keen to see the results though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this Keving, the pictures look fantastic! I've been working on a western Canada/US map but don't have any topo. But this Japan map has me very intrigued now. Any chance of getting another western north america pic, but further north? I have it with mid-Oregon in the southwest, up to Prince Rupert in the Northwest. The east edge was cutting through the middle of Alberta and down through Montana. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came back from a trip to Kyoto, which (both the city and region) obviously had a 10-player game of RRT played out 100 years ago. Most of the RR companies have one linear line, so getting anywhere takes multiple line and multiple tickets, often climbing back to the street to change to the adjacent station owned by the other company. Often, it was more sensible to walk 2 miles instead of take the nasty train network. Further, no one had bothered to build lines to the less profitable corners of the city... the whole thing might have been annoying if we hadn't been laughing about it the whole time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the big western Canada topo:

And as a bonus, here are Germany and the whole of the British Isles.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/160443
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/159901

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.