Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Admittedly I haven't had a chance to play yet... but have been reading the rules and studying the map. So far, I'm only confused by the use of the term, "Winter Zone Border" (bottom right, pg 4). What is that? I don't see it marked as such on the map (though I may simply be missing it).

According to para 3.3, Winter is everywhere during winter, and only in Russia and Finland during the fall. Yet the bottom of page 4 under, "Winter Zone" talks about units having to stop after crossing a "Winter Zone Border". Thusly during the winter, is that any border? The paragraph's use of the river Vistula as an example leaves me with the impression that perhaps the "Winter Zone Border" is that around Russia and Finland only?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply means the borders between the Soviet/Finnish areas and the rest of the map in the 4th card play of a year when there is a difference in weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, thanks for confirming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Westerman
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
But what is the Soviet border? The example -- "Rivers on a winter zone
border, such as the Vistula, do not freeze" -- mentions a river that is in the middle of Poland and is to the west side of East Prussia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

westerman wrote:
But what is the Soviet border? The example -- "Rivers on a winter zone
border, such as the Vistula, do not freeze" -- mentions a river that is in the middle of Poland and is to the west side of East Prussia.

Yeah, I also realized that today, myself. So I looked at a few WWII maps and it appears that for a while the western border of Poland was the Vistula river. So I rationalized that's why it's mentioned in the example of a Winter Zone border river.

But your question I think still stands... the Vistula does run through the middle of Poland on the ViE map. So why is it used as an example of a Winter Zone border river?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Westerman
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ron D wrote:
Simply means the borders between the Soviet/Finnish areas and the rest of the map in the 4th card play of a year when there is a difference in weather.

Bringing up this subject again because you didn't answer my question as to why the Vistula defines the winter zone border. Is this is a mistake in the example or truly a winter border?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dalgliesh
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Vistula is an error. It was once the winter zone border, but that got changed when research showed this river rarely froze. The winter zone border is the Russian border. Change "Vistula" to "Dniester".

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.