Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game suggestions for my less nerdy friends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaleb Kueckelhan
msg tools
Hello everybody, first post here! After playing a few of the more mainstream games (catan and hearthstone) I decided that this is something that I definitely wanted to get into. I picked up a few games that I really enjoy playing and now I'm trying to get some of my less nerdy friends (including my girlfriend) interested in playing with me. Marvel Legendary and Smash Up were the last two games I picked up and they went over really well. We played for hours a couple nights in a row. Now I'm looking for suggestions for more...uhhh...goofy, lighthearted, easy-to-pick-up games that they might enjoy. I've looked at a lot of licensed games like the star wars trading card game and the DC deck builder (or street fighter-big fan of both) as well as some cartoony games like king of tokyo-new york and small world. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy the deck builders like Legendary and Thunderstone but I want to branch out a bit more from that genre.

Heres my main list of games I'm considering. Critique, rank, add, veto...whatever lol.

Small World
DC or Street Fighter Deck builder
King of New york (over tokyo?)
Star wars the card game
Any one of the munchkin games
Seasons
A game of thrones the board game
Sentinels of the Multiverse (if it isn't too much like legendary)

Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
. Paperback (deck builder meets a word game)
. Ticket to Ride (always goes over well)
. Dixit or Tajemnicze Domostwo
. Love Letter (comes in a batman version too)
. The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon (fun social deduction game if you ever play with 5+)
. Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game (it's the new hot game)
. Pandemic (a classic co-op) Forbidden Desert is also good.
. Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age (if you want to try worker placement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

I suggest you let us know what games you already own by creating your collection on BGG. You can learn how, and other cool BGG stuff, here New Users Want to Know

goofy, lighthearted, easy-to-pick-up

lighthearted, easy-to-pick-up games

easy-to-pick-up games

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just starting out, I might get King of Tokyo over King of New York. It's easier to teach and learn.

Sentinels is a totally different game from Legendary, and one of my favorites. It's really difficult to track all the modifiers and effects. Might want to try before you buy it if you can. The good news is that it's a great solo game, so if no one else likes it you can still get a lot of play time.

Munchkin won't get much love in these parts, but if you can find one with a theme your group likes, non-gamers will typically enjoy it.

The Game of Thrones board game is fantastic, but fairly heavy, so might not be a great starting pint.

Small World is great, one I would highly recommend.

Other games to consider are Ticket to Ride, Love Letter, Coup, and Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henry
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors - dice building
Tokaido
Mice and Mystics - dungeon crawl
Escape
Castle panic
Splendor
Abyss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Paperback (deck builder meets a word game)
Ticket to Ride (always goes over well)
Dixit or Mysterium
Love Letter (comes in a batman version too)
The Resistance or Avalon (fun social deduction game if you ever play with 5+)0
Pandemic (a classic co-op)

These are good recommendations in particular. I'd stick to something fairly basic or gateway (nothing complicated) for people who aren't used to games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Small World - good choice, interesting, humerous, not hard to learn
Star wars the card game
Any one of the munchkin games - Can be fun, the cards are really funny, but the game itself is bad design, very random, free-for-all bashing, not much influence and may take several hours, I sweared to never play it again, especially with power gamers. Only get it when you play for fun and mood only.
Seasons
A game of thrones the board game - That's a good but very long and not easy game, maybe not the right choise

A game I'd recommend is 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Chase
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Try my game https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/the-10th-war

There's a rulebook and pnp you can download for free. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I've not played most of the games on your list but of the ones I have:-

Small World - Quite a lot of bits and pieces. This might put people off. It is light hearted and easy to get to grips with but it's much better when everyone knows the races and powers without having to refer to the quick reference all the time.

King of New york (over tokyo?) - KoNY has a few more bells and whistles and it probably more attractive to established gamers since there is more chance to take advantage of tactics. KoT has the advantage of simplicity. It punishes people who don't think ahead pretty hard so it might be frustrating.

Any one of the munchkin games - I don't like the Munchkin games at all, the only strength is the jokes and they are pretty nerdy. I wouldn't be buying this for people who wouldn't understand D&D in jokes.

I +1 the suggestions for Dixit. Most people can get enjoyment out of this and it's very social provided you actually talk to people about their choices as well as just take the scores.

Modern Art is an auction game with a very accessible theme. I've seen all sorts of people enjoy playing this.

Some sort of dexterity game might be an idea. These seem to be good for getting people who wouldn't play a boardgame involved. PitchCar and Bausack are good examples (although they might be hard to get).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ergundergun wrote:

I really enjoy Munchkin but have found the artwork can be a bit off-putting to some people. The Adventure Time version overcomes that by using only AT-related art, with lots and lots of references to the show.

There's also an Axe Cop version, but I've yet to play that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lopresti
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any of the Fluxx games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when comic book and fantasy themes were the definition of nerdy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you listed, the ones that fits your criteria the best are Small World and King of Tokyo/New York. And probably Sentinels of the Multiverse.

I don't know much about the King of series, but Tokyo is easier/New York has more strategy.

Small World is a great light-hearted game that actually has some interesting decisions. I'd personally recommend Underworld over the original. Both are great, basically the same game, but it depends on which starting races you would prefer. I just like the Underworld races more, but look on DayofWonder's website and decide. (In Underworld you can get the Shrooms, and that cracks me up)

Sentinels is in my top 5. I think it is an amazing game. It is really really easy to play and teach (play a card, activate a power, draw a card). The theme is supper immersive, and it is nothing like Legendary. You really feel like the hero and it can be as hard or as easy as you want it to be. I can teach this game to anyone.
Only caveat. There is a bit to keep track of. There are many apps to keep track of that stuff. It is easy to get passed that stuff and it sucks people in. Just have to mention that.

As for the others.
I cannot speak for DC/Street Fighter deck builders or the Star Wars CCG.

Munchkin depends on your group. If you can do the take-that type stuff without getting vengeful, go for it. Not my cup of tea, but I see the appeal.

Seasons is in my top 5 but I would not recommend it based on what you asked. At least not as one of your friends' first games. The art makes it seem really light, but that is essentially pasted on. It is really rich strategy wise. The game is not incredibly complicated, but I would not have it be one of the first games I teach someone. I would definitely revisit Seasons after you get a more solid group (after they've all played maybe 5 some games?). This is by no means a brain burner, but still there are a lot of symbols and a lot to keep track of. Really great game, but I'd hold of until you meet people you aren't introducing to gaming (or you have forged those people yourself!).

The GoT board game, is also a really good. But where Seasons was a tentative no, this is a definite resounding no. This is a much heavier game. I would almost recommend staying away from fantasy flight if you're looking for easy-to-pick up games. Almost every game I've played by them has been awesome but they like complicated rule books (though they do release how-to-plays for most of their games). A lot of work learning, but worth the effort. But not everyone is willing to do the work (yet).

Okay two more recommendations.
Mice and Mystics. This is kind of a spoof on DnD or dungeon crawls with a really cute theme (you're humans turned into mice, needing to save the day and to fight rats and roaches and stuff). It is really really clever. Everything makes sense, and it makes use of the environment in very clever ways. It is a little dice heavy, but the game pulls you and makes those dice mean something to you. Rules are pretty straight forward, and it really doesn't matter if you mess up rules. You'll still have fun. Hands down best narrative I've ever played in a game. And it even comes with a story book that you read as you play.

Summoner Wars. Admittedly this is my favorite game, and I have the tendency of thinking everyone would like this, but I actually think you will. This is strictly 1v1, but for people starting out with games that's pretty ideal. You each have different fantasy armies (there are a bunch and you can buy as many or as few as you want, I'd start with the Master Set), and you go until one side kills the other's Summoner (sic king). Really great hand management, grid movement, and chess like control without being too chess-y. The abilities are all awesome. Best of all the rules are super streamlined. You lern the base rules then let the cards guide you. The fun comes in learning the decks (which are again really inexpensive and you do NOT need to buy more to be a better player... but you'll probably get addicted and buy more). I can't put my love for this game into words. But it's at a point where a girl not being willin to play this game with me might be a deal breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ergundergun wrote:
Hello everybody, first post here! After playing a few of the more mainstream games (catan and hearthstone) I decided that this is something that I definitely wanted to get into. I picked up a few games that I really enjoy playing and now I'm trying to get some of my less nerdy friends (including my girlfriend) interested in playing with me. Marvel Legendary and Smash Up were the last two games I picked up and they went over really well. We played for hours a couple nights in a row. Now I'm looking for suggestions for more...uhhh...goofy, lighthearted, easy-to-pick-up games that they might enjoy. I've looked at a lot of licensed games like the star wars trading card game and the DC deck builder (or street fighter-big fan of both) as well as some cartoony games like king of tokyo-new york and small world. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy the deck builders like Legendary and Thunderstone but I want to branch out a bit more from that genre.

Heres my main list of games I'm considering. Critique, rank, add, veto...whatever lol.

Small World
Star wars the card game
Seasons
A game of thrones the board game

Thanks for any advice!

Not to judge but your list goes from super simple, can get knocked out in 10 min, to, holy crap we have been playing for 2 and half hours Im flipping the table. You are wanting games for less nerdy friends....I recommend the old saying K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

There is nothing wrong with any game on your list I have played a few and own a couple. I would just start with the basics...+1 for King of New York/Tokyo, Smallworld, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Carcasssonne.

I would also suggest Settlers of Catan (well now just called Catan), Dominion, Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert and Smash Up. You really cant go wrong with anything anyone else has listed.

I would stay far away from Game of Thrones unless your friends are really into the books or the show and are willing to slip into those roles as it is super heavy and can be very long...I love the books and the show but I have friends who have a bit of ADD and there is no way they could play this game.

I might also suggest meeting up at a local game store and play a few demos before spending a bunch of money...I dove right in and have purchased something like 20 games in 6 months but that is because I am little obsessed with the hobby. I dont regret any purchases but not everyone can do that or not everyone has a wife who would be "ok" with that.

Either way good luck and have fun. Buying a new game always makes me happy and I hope it does the same for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what you think your group will like. Here's how I started. Every game I own I found a video of someone playing it. That way I could see if it is something my game group would like. There's a couple of Youtube channels that are a good place to start.

Geek & Sundry's Tabletop with Wil Weaton - Wil plays through games with many internet and sci-fi celebs.

Watch It Played - A guy and his two children teach and play through games.

Dice Tower live events - usually heavier games, but are generally good examples of play throughs.

BoardGameGeekTV's Gamenight - large variety of games covered. You get the rules, a play through, and then each player critiques what they liked and didn't like about the game.

There are many more good channels out there. You will see that pretty much every game I list here was in one of the videos for the above channels.

I play with some friends of mine since college about once or twice a month. For the most part they like shorter casual games. Ones that last around 30-40 minutes. Though they don't mind an hour long game if they find it fun.

I started with Timeline, Sushi Go!, Carcassonne: South Seas, and Tsuro of the Seas.

I wanted simple games to teach, games that could handle several people if more show up. We usually have 3-4 people, but can have 6-7. For Tsuro we started by playing the original rules, then brought in the dragons. Now they won't play the original any more. One of the couples bought Timeline and Sushi Go after the first night of playing, so those have become a staple of gaming night. I prefer the original Carcassonne over South Seas, but South Seas is so much easier to teach. The scoring system in more simple. For the most part it is the same game, but in the original the tile diversity encourages making large cities and roads where as in South Seas you try to complete islands and bridges as fast as possible.

From there I introduced Castle Panic to start the group into co-ops. What's nice about Castle Panic is it is easy to teach and most of the time you win. Some day we will get up to Shadows over Camelot or Forbidden Desert. My next co-op I am going to introduce the group to is Hanabi.

Just recently we started playing Ticket To Ride and Formula D. What's nice about Ticket to Ride is kids can play or help out. My friend's 4yo daughter likes counting out the trains, identifying the colors, and placing the trains. Same with Formula D, what kid does not like cars!

I just picked up Camel Up. We have found that this game plays great with 4 or less players and is a lot of fun while drinking. With 5 or more the game starts to have a pattern where one person will never get to bet. Gambling is always a good choice!

7 Wonders has gone well with the group, though most prefer the randomness of Sushi Go.

My next step with the games I have in my collection I am going to introduce King of Tokyo, Small World, and Lords of Vegas. I just picked up some party games, I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I will be introducing them to Sheriff of Nottingham, Say Anything, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf - all should be fun with a few drinks in our system.

I also just picked up Pandemic: The Cure, Machi Koro, and Trains. I think they will like those games. I love deck building games but I figured my friends would not like most because of the themes, that is why I picked up Trains. I pre-ordered Specter Ops, they will definitely like that game. I can see that turning into a drinking a game. For every last seen token the hunters take a drink. Every time the agent is located or injured the agent takes a drink.

My friends have Qwirkle and Apples to Apples which are good for groups like this.

So far everything I introduced my friends to they enjoyed and would probably play again. Favorites are South Seas, Tsuro, Camel Up, Timeline, and Sushi Go. Though now I don't have to bring Sushi Go or Timeline with me. That leaves more room in my duffel bag for other games

When we do have games nights I always bring at least one game we have all played many times and like, something someone wanted to try again, and something new. That way we have a game we all know how to play and like in case the other games don't go over well. A game that we are still getting use to the rules. And finally a new game to test the waters with to see what my friends like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Kueckelhan
msg tools
Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm really excited to hear sentinels isn't like legendary, that was the main reason I didn't want to pick it up yet (aside from the fact that if i like it...its gonna get expensive with all the addons...). I think I will definitely check out that and probably pandemic soon. I'm gonna update my collection and wishlist with a lot of these suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions for GOOD licensed games (based on video game lore, movies or books) or do they all mostly suck? The main reason I wanted to check out the game of thrones game was the get people like...my dad to play with me.

Thanks again for all the help, I didn't expect half this many responses. You all rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ergundergun wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm really excited to hear sentinels isn't like legendary, that was the main reason I didn't want to pick it up yet (aside from the fact that if i like it...its gonna get expensive with all the addons...). I think I will definitely check out that and probably pandemic soon. I'm gonna update my collection and wishlist with a lot of these suggestions. Does anyone have any suggestions for GOOD licensed games (based on video game lore, movies or books) or do they all mostly suck? The main reason I wanted to check out the game of thrones game was the get people like...my dad to play with me.

Thanks again for all the help, I didn't expect half this many responses. You all rock.

Watch the Dice Tower's Top Ten Games Based on Movies or Books on YouTube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am working on overcoming my AP. Here is my 'to do' plan ...so far: 1).
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to "less nerdy topics", are you looking to avoid the traditional Science Fiction and Fantasy?

As a small addition and I'm surprised I didn't see these:
(or maybe I'm blind)

Takenoko Looks cutesy on the surface until you play.
Ascension-Series More fantasy but easy to learn and fits "deck-builder" mechanic.
From earlier
Ticket to Ride - we prefer the Europe version but there are several variants.
Pandemic - as an introduction to co-op mechanic... save the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
ergundergun wrote:

The Game of Thrones game is great, but pretty heavy. Not really a game casual or non-gamers would typically get into quickly. I haven't played the A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, but I've hear good things. That might be a better match.

There are tons of great licensed games! The new Star Wars: Imperial Assault is great if you'd like a little bit of an RPG or tactics game. If you liked Marvel Legendary, there's also Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game. On the heavier side of things, there's Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. If you aren't turned off by collectable games Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men is great. Also, Love Letter: Batman just came out. And that's just off the top of my head! I'm sure you'll be able to find a good game with a theme that'll match almost anyone's interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic
7 Wonders
Galaxy Trucker
King of Tokyo
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.