Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ShengLong1990
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding game. Three Kingdoms Redux manages to be both a Euro Game and American Game at the same time. How does it accomplish such feat?

1. It is Euro in nature from the sense of resource and worker placement - in this case the generals, money, rice, people's approval, emperor's approval, etc.
2. It is American in nature because the theme is applied so strongly that one cannot help but be fully immersed in the world of the game. Most Euro games only have themes pasted on - good mechanics but poor theme application. This game has both good mechanics and excellent theme execution. I've read the novels multiple times and can truly feel the passion and research reflected into the creation of this game. It truly is the labor of love by the creators of this game.

So in summary, looking at the overall pros and cons:

Pros:

1. As I mentioned above, great application of the theme. Excellent implementation of the general's strengths based off how those generals strengths are portrayed in the novels.
2. Great game play mechanics and execution of the turns. No dice involved and the resources are placed similar to typical Euro games. Even winning "combats" is done by outbidding your opponent(s).
3. Excellent video tutorial and manual. The videos and manuals are easy to follow, showing exactly where to place the components on the board, how to execute the game play steps, from beginning to end.

Cons:

1. Need to have exactly 3 people. If anyone can come up with Solo or 2 player variants, I'm all ears. This is why it's 9.99 instead of 10.
2. Depending on the strategy, going full 12 rounds takes longer than 165 minutes - more like 180 to 240 minutes. That's assuming no AP takes place and the players understand what they are doing.

If I'd have to indicate areas for improvements:

1. Variants for more / less players.
2. Expansions: Maybe prequel including Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, Yellow Turbans, Gongsun Zan, Liu Biao, etc. Sequel with Sima Yi, Liu Chan, etc. Or even expansion within the same time window with Ma Teng, Zhang Lu, Yong Kai / Meng Huo, Yuan Shu, etc.

In the end, regardless if you're a fan of American games or Euro games, this is an absolute gem that deserves a spot in everybody's game library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Not really sure why people think Euros can't have an immersive theme? Sure many focus more on the mechanics but many have both quite well integrated too I think. The ones I like at least
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the game a month or so already, but haven't had a chance to play it yet...and that's strictly because of the "3-players needed" (we have a group of 3 of us that can get together maybe every 6-7 weeks for a night of gaming, but before introducing a new game to them i'd better have it "down" pretty well and have played it several times already)...

when I actually have 3 players exactly for a game night, they're not interested in spending the evening learning a new game that they may/may not even enjoy...and/or learning new rules as we go, watching videos, etc...they just want to "play" (and I already have a large number of excellent games that we can have up and running in minutes)...

when I have a new game to "learn" I either play once/twice with my wife, just to get the basics/mechanics down, etc...or we have another couple that are willing to learn a new game with me, and we can play/learn as a 4-player game...in both cases I could then much easily/quickly teach any game when I have only 3-players avail...

but, with this game i'm afraid it's going to be a long time...I don't see any way this can be used with either 2 or 4 players, so devoting one of our few 3-player game nights to just learning this probably isn't going to happen...

now, this is obv. my fault; I knew it was strictly 3-player when I bought it...but I am hoping that someone comes up with a variant that would actually make the game fun with 2 (or even somehow 4) players so that I can start to learn it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

why not either play a schizophrenic solo or 2-player where players alternate the 3rd player action? You lose the alliance aspect of it, but it should be good enough just to learn the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Not really sure why people think Euros can't have an immersive theme?

They can. They just usually don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
I've had the game a month or so already, but haven't had a chance to play it yet...and that's strictly because of the "3-players needed" (we have a group of 3 of us that can get together maybe every 6-7 weeks for a night of gaming, but before introducing a new game to them i'd better have it "down" pretty well and have played it several times already)...

when I actually have 3 players exactly for a game night, they're not interested in spending the evening learning a new game that they may/may not even enjoy...and/or learning new rules as we go, watching videos, etc...they just want to "play" (and I already have a large number of excellent games that we can have up and running in minutes)...

when I have a new game to "learn" I either play once/twice with my wife, just to get the basics/mechanics down, etc...or we have another couple that are willing to learn a new game with me, and we can play/learn as a 4-player game...in both cases I could then much easily/quickly teach any game when I have only 3-players avail...

but, with this game i'm afraid it's going to be a long time...I don't see any way this can be used with either 2 or 4 players, so devoting one of our few 3-player game nights to just learning this probably isn't going to happen...

now, this is obv. my fault; I knew it was strictly 3-player when I bought it...but I am hoping that someone comes up with a variant that would actually make the game fun with 2 (or even somehow 4) players so that I can start to learn it...

You can play with 4+ players, by just having 2 players play together as one kingdom.

I will definitely have to figure out how to make a solo game out of this. Once I play the game a few more times to see the patterns of how each kingdom works, I think I can come up with a solo or 2-player game. It's not going to be easy, but I have a few ideas in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

John,

There is also suggestion to try the game via play-by-forum in another thread. You may take a look and see whether that works for you although the game progress may be slower than usual since it depends on the timing of each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nighthawk326 wrote:

You can play with 4+ players, by just having 2 players play together as one kingdom.

I will definitely have to figure out how to make a solo game out of this. Once I play the game a few more times to see the patterns of how each kingdom works, I think I can come up with a solo or 2-player game. It's not going to be easy, but I have a few ideas in mind.

Henry,

Do share it on BGG if you come up with a solo of 2-player version for the game. We will be interested to know about it too!

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pax
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, Lu Bu isn't in the game? O.O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Why isn't LuBu in the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffak78 wrote:
Why isn't LuBu in the game ?
The game's focus is on the three states of Wei, Wu and Shu, so Lu Bu is not one of the generals in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Asking your friends to view the very instructive video isn't an option? It tells you more or less everything you need to know to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jophan wrote:
John_VW wrote:
Asking your friends to view the very instructive video isn't an option? It tells you more or less everything you need to know to play.
that's fine, but the video I saw was 40+ min...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
Where I’m supposed to be
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
jophan wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Having a blast in the play by forum with this one.

Don't have a gaming group. Kids are both under 3 years. So, the play by forum is my outlet and I am having a great time with my 1st game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vroomer wrote:
John_VW wrote:
jophan wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Don't have a gaming group. Kids are both under 3 years. So, the play by forum is my outlet and I am having a great time with my 1st game.
ryan, where exactly is it that you can play via "the forum"? can you send me (or post here) the exact link? thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
Where I’m supposed to be
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Vroomer wrote:
John_VW wrote:
jophan wrote:
John_VW wrote:

ryan, where exactly is it that you can play via "the forum"? can you send me (or post here) the exact link? thanks...

Game 1 - already in progress: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1335968/three-kingdoms-...

Game 2 looks to be a hoot, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls