Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Henry
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 core games and all the expansions for the first edition. I really have enjoyed this game but it has not made it to the table much in the last 2 years. Mostly due to set up time and play time. Is keeping the first edition to use with second a good idea or should I use it to fund the purchase of second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Lumiukko
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with both though not much and I don't think it's possible to mix them both. They play differently, so much that some people say they are 2 completely different games. If your point is whether to keep both and play them separately, it's up to you but I guess that if you didn't play Descent 1 before, for sure you'll play it even less once you have another similar dungeon crawl.

If you search for some buyers for the Descent 1 expansions, geekmail me, I might be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a big fan of the first edition, I bought the second one with great excitement. That excitement soon turned into MEH. I traded it away after 3 tries, and eagerly went back to the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, first edition is a superior game with much deeper tactics.

However, second edition is more streamlined and convenient, with shorter session times, so it hits the table more easily.

There is (or at least was) a kit available that converts all the first edition characters and monsters to second edition, so if you decide to go that route, your first edition figures are still of great use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not do it. I tried 2nd edition and its so Bland compared to first. I am going back to first and I am about to start a Sea of Blood campaign.

I was tempted by 2nd editions quicker play time and the thought that would make it come to the table more, but it ended up with me just not wanting to play it at all, so it has not hit the table in 18 months.

Now getting quiet excited to be doing first edition again, which I never had a Meh moment with.

I recommend stay with first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all of 1st and 2nd edition. 2nd edition has seen more play and we've gotten further in the campaigns that we ever did in 1st, and it is a much more streamlined rule set. Others have mentioned it is bland, but I think it is just fine and it loses a lot of the fiddly rules from 1st edition.

Heck, I've got '3rd Edition Descent' as well, Star Wars Imperial Assault, and it improves on 2nd edition in many ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Own and played first...

Bought all of second... Traded second away a year later...

I still have first ed. No contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sibley
United Kingdom
Ramsgate
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:
I own all of 1st and 2nd edition. 2nd edition has seen more play and we've gotten further in the campaigns that we ever did in 1st, and it is a much more streamlined rule set. Others have mentioned it is bland, but I think it is just fine and it loses a lot of the fiddly rules from 1st edition.

Heck, I've got '3rd Edition Descent' as well, Star Wars Imperial Assault, and it improves on 2nd edition in many ways.

Agreed its streamlined, to the point though that there are so few decisions to make. As the Overlord your options are dull, and such a limited deck, and as the player there is a lack of tactical options. The campaign that comes in 2nd ed base game is agin restrictive in where you can go, almost like a Xbox console game, you are pulled down a very linear path. Now with road to legend the players can go anywhere on the map, each dungeon is different and the individual levels of the dungeons take about the same time as a 2nd ed level , so the time issue with 1st is eliminated too. ( had no issue with time with any of the 1st edition modules, but I know some do.

I am selling my 2nd ed as i have zero interest in playing it . Which is a shame because production wise its very nice. And I did play about 8 of the scenarios so I did give it a good chance to draw me in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main reason for leaving 1st Edition behind was that a single level was taking four plus hours to complete. Now a level takes my group 45 to 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it if you think its better.
Or just... get Star Wars Imperial Assault and Arcadia Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Henry
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
Do it if you think its better.
Or just... get Star Wars Imperial Assault and Arcadia Quest.

Arcadia Quest is awesome.

If I do decide to get rid of my first edition is market place the best place to sell it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.