Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
this is something i've been thinking about for a while:
How would Carcassonne play if you restricted tile placement and the way the whole landscape developes to a board of a defined size?

Just mocke dup this design and thought i migth have it printed.

Any thoughts or ideas on how this could work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the area was big enough to hold all tiles with plenty of room to spare, it probably wouldn't change the game much. It would just mean you had to worry about the pieces sliding around on the board.

If the tiles barely fit, the last portion of the game would get really frustrating as your choices of where to play becomes very limited.

Just my guesses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
If the area was big enough to hold all tiles with plenty of room to spare, it probably wouldn't change the game much. It would just mean you had to worry about the pieces sliding around on the board.

If the tiles barely fit, the last portion of the game would get really frustrating as your choices of where to play becomes very limited.

Just my guesses...

Mhmm.. yes. probably.

I got working on the idea again after having played Carcassonne: The Castle.
The space restriction seemed to make for a much tighter game, but the tiles in that game are a bit more flexible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:

How would Carcassonne play if you restricted tile placement and the way the whole landscape developes to a board of a defined size?

It would play a lot more like Carcassonne: The Castle and I am not entirely sure that is a good thing if you have more than 2 players.

I like the restriction of you can place stuff anywhere so long as it doesn't go off the table (which is in the rules of one of the Carcs but I don't remember which one off the top of my head).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
I think you'd feel like with https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12902/carcassonne-city, where in the second/third stage you run continually closing the borders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some folks may exploit the fact that no new tiles can go beyond those boundaries. If this is the agreed upon house rules, then that's fine. It does upon up some new strategies assuming the landscape gets to those boundaries.

I've heard of one game where one player kept leaving holes, knowing another player with OCD would "have to" fill them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!
Yeah, i'm sure playing in such a limited space would change tactics/strategies and change the value of certain tiles.

The 9x15 set up was an idea for probably plaiyng with base game+2 expansions, which is about the size i usually play with (disclaimer: haven't played regular carcassonne in ages... but recently been playing the "the city" version whcih i found quite exciting).

9x15=135, and base game + 2 expansions is usually pretty close to that, so it should make for a very tight game.

You'd need to come up with some alternate rules though, i.e.:

The game ends whenever a player draws a tile that cannot be played.
(you could come up with a diffferent rule, but it might lead to you sifting through remaining tiles untill you find something you can play).

You could also introduce some alternate scoring rules, similar to "Carcassonne, the city", where you get points for the largest un-tiled space or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently been trying out the board (after a longer hiatus from Carcassonne) and it works really well.
One thing i really like about it is that it basically puts a time limit on the game, which is something i feel the game really needs when you're playing it with too many tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.