flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
This popped up on my Facebook feed from last night (my time):

"Mayfair Games Bids a Fond Farewell to Noted Designer Martin Wallace

Mayfair Games and Martin Wallace have made some great games together: games about trains, games about planes and games about automobiles. Games based on best-selling literary works, games set upon the fields of honor and games about making things. However, all things, no matter how good, must eventually end. And it is endings we speak of today. Mayfair Games and Martin Wallace shall venture forth to seek their futures along divergent paths. We, Mayfair Games, wish him and his family good health and prosperity as we know he will continue to delight board game enthusiasts in the future.

To Martin Wallace from Mayfair Games, best of luck and may fortune smile broadly upon your endeavors!"

( see it, for real, here: https://www.facebook.com/mayfairgames/posts/1015310372421585... )

WTF?

Since when have companies formally announced going their separate ways?

If this was the expiration of a license, presumably reverting back to Martin, then this might make some sense but even so it seems an odd move to post anything.

If this is a nice way of saying goodbye because things have become rather acrimonious then why not just stay silent?

I find the whole 'clipped niceness' of it a bit bewildering (and not a little passive-aggressive).

Am I reading too much in to it? Reassure me, good people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely weird.

Also no more expansions for Steam.

How will I feed my need for expansions for train themed games? Well Tony, how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmmmmmmm... i say hmmmmmmmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace about to be absorbed by Asmodee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
tellerium wrote:
Definitely weird.

If Martin is free of Mayfair obligations perhaps I can get him to design a Snowdonia scenario? #youdontaskyoudontget

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyboydell wrote:
tellerium wrote:
Definitely weird.

If Martin is free of Mayfair obligations perhaps I can get him to design a Snowdonia scenario? #youdontaskyoudontget

I suggest one situated in the Welsh Black Mountains - so every move you make earns you black cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't read anything more into it than what a sports team might release after trading a beloved player under good circumstances.

Just getting initial information out of the way.

Better than someone asking about expansions to steam six months from now and getting bgg worked up into a froth based on half assed rumors a couple people overheard somewhere.

No reason not to make it sound really nice, regardless of what went on behind the scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this seems like nothing more than a cordial, old-fashioned end of relationship letter. Proving that class didn't completely die.

scifiantihero wrote:
I can't read anything more into it than what a sports team might release after trading a beloved player under good circumstances.

Just getting initial information out of the way.

Better than someone asking about expansions to steam six months from now and getting bgg worked up into a froth based on half assed rumors a couple people overheard somewhere.

No reason not to make it sound really nice, regardless of what went on behind the scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Yes, this seems like nothing more than a cordial, old-fashioned end of relationship letter. Proving that class didn't completely die.
Huh... My first thought was that, like relationships, there's a rush to announce the breakup so that everyone knows you're the dumper and not the one who got dumped. Issuing a press release certainly avoids the perception that Wallace stormed out in a fit of anger.

If they had just kept mum, eventually people would realize they weren't together anymore and start speculating if there were problems and who was mad at who, etc. I don't see this as classy so much as just an attempt to head off gossip and speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty: So, what happens to the band now?
David: What do you mean?
Marty: He's not coming back, or...?
David: No, we, we shan't work together again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is an amicable parting of the ways, rather then a bitter acrimonious ridden split?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Maybe it is an amicable parting of the ways, rather then a bitter acrimonious ridden split?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The joys of uninformed speculation enjoined with the freedom offered by technology.

Although the chatter in the information vacuum would have made great entertainment, I'm not surprised that both parties have enough experience and wisdom to realize that they would be better served to weather this type of thread over the potential PR issues by not doing it.

Then again, any press is good press.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a contract ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Message to mayfair

Next time just say

"That (&9&(& (insertname) has %^&***( off and we bid the *&&( a ()**(&(& good ridence and hope he catches the clap...(&(*(*er."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw imho though ymmv, "discussing retailers" is the wrong forum... mayfair is a publisher and wallace is a designer... but the big reason is that this thread will be lost and buried in this forum while posts in the mayfair forums and the martain wallace forums will be easy to find even a decade from now...

I was going to cross post to those but Eric Martin (mr. bgg news) already has... you can find those threads at...

in mayfair games forum...
Mayfair Games Bids a Fond Farewell to Noted Designer Martin Wallace

in wallace forum...
Mayfair Games Bids a Fond Farewell to Noted Designer Martin Wallace

edit: fwiw it looks like Eric's post were 11 hours before this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Clap is a very nice instrumental by Mssr Howe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
The Clap is a very nice instrumental by Mssr Howe.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple TripleCrown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my business experience, overly flowery "farewells" of this kind usually indicate a sort of passive-aggressive contempt on the part of the writer.

The writer is invariably the "dump-ee", but wants people to believe otherwise by appearing magnanimous about the split. However, somehow, the excessiveness of the good will towards the "dump-or" portrayed in such messages always ends up betraying the writer's contempt in a way that is far more public than what would have occurred otherwise! This tends to make the writer look petty, and makes readers side with the dump-or.

It is always classier to say only what is necessary in these circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
England
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purpletriplecrown wrote:
In my business experience, overly flowery "farewells" of this kind usually indicate a sort of passive-aggressive contempt on the part of the writer.

The writer is invariably the "dump-ee", but wants people to believe otherwise by appearing magnanimous about the split. However, somehow, the excessiveness of the good will towards the "dump-or" portrayed in such messages always ends up betraying the writer's contempt in a way that is far more public than what would have occurred otherwise! This tends to make the writer look petty, and makes readers side with the dump-or.

It is always classier to say only what is necessary in these circumstances.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purpletriplecrown wrote:

Well, to be fair no-one has ever accused Mayfair of giving a f*ck ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
More info here:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/31026/ships-sinks-mayfair...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting out of Mayfair Games?

I might just start looking at Martin Wallace again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.