GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,073 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Founding Fathers» Forums » General

Subject: Future expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Moore
United Kingdom
Buckland Monachorum
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
mbmbmbmbmb
The feel of this game is absolutely superb.

There is a real sense of history involved, and it gives a great narrative.

Currently, the game runs up until the Civil War and the extra cards from the Offices and Statesmen expansion really add to the game.

In that expansion, some of the new cards have an 'R' and 'D' on them, and I was intrigued to see in the rules that it mentions these letters being present for future expansions (I assume as the parties change towards Republicans and Democrats). If this is the case, it looks like there may be plans to continue the timeline, hopefully into the 20th century.

I was wondering whether Rick could let us know if there ae any interesting snippets of news for any more expansions??.........No pressure....lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks very much, Dave.

Yes, there might be something along those lines going through blind testing right now. Can't say too much yet since things can still change. The unfortunate part is that it will be another big job for Luca, our artist, that will take quite some time to realize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moore
United Kingdom
Buckland Monachorum
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rick, that is great news, although I won't be too impatient, as I have a lot of history to change first!

I can imagine that there would be a lot of work to do, to get the feel right and get all the correct issues and balance correct, but it is great to know that this superb system has the potential to continue.

I'm glad to hear that you are going to keep Luca busy as well!

Thanks for the quick response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Lffvet wrote:
Thanks Rick, that is great news, although I won't be too impatient, as I have a lot of history to change first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Rostoker
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There any chance of said expansion adding the possibility of admitting ahistorical states to the map in response to ahistorical event choices made earlier on? Thinking of something like a new state for if the US managed to pull off 54 40 or fight and nets the lower half of modern British Columbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
werefish wrote:
There any chance of said expansion adding the possibility of admitting ahistorical states to the map in response to ahistorical event choices made earlier on? Thinking of something like a new state for if the US managed to pull off 54 40 or fight and nets the lower half of modern British Columbia.

Or Ontario...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
werefish wrote:

Or Ontario...
Thanks for the interesting suggestions, guys!

I am looking at those kinds of possibilities, but more in the area of Cuba and Santo Domingo.

Tell me what you think, but seems like if Polk had pulled off 54 40 the result would have been an Oregon-sized, i.e. larger, Washington.

The idea of a divergence from the Jeffersonian military build-down and toward a Hamiltonian (or Burrian) build-up that would have allowed more US military effectiveness in 1812 and conquest of Canada is one that I'd like to consider for a special expansion to include some of the less likely, but possible, paths history could have taken. Presumably these new Americans -- many Loyalists and also French speakers -- would not have been happy to be conquered and now you have a hearts and minds problem that might really cast doubt on future foreign adventures. On the other hand, adding states in the far north would have caused considerable stress in the slaveholding states. Plus there were times when New England was ready to secede; how much stronger would such an idea be if Ontario and Quebec were also in support of it.

These radical alternate history scenarios quickly get pretty complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Rostoker
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't a Washington of that size make it really large? I'd think they'd have carved out most of the extra territory as its own state and named it after Polk or Jefferson or something; plus it would be easier to manage for you as the designer if it had its own state card and didn't force you to write out optional electoral votes on the Washington card based on if it had the larger population or not.

Quebec, when it was invaded in the Revolutionary War and in 1813, tended to turn against the Americans more to poor treatment by American forces and the weight of British successes than any ideological opposition to republicanism or the US. If you're going for alt-history involving it though, you might want to consider an issue giving the chance for much stronger intervention in the Rebellions of 1837 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebellions_of_1837) instead, especially for the much larger and longer one in Lower Canada (Modern Quebec) for a chance to gain states in the north.

In any event I think Lower Canada would have been much easier to bring into the fold politically than the Loyalist populations in Upper Canada (Ontario) would have been, so long as they didn't feel their language, religion, or culture were infringed upon.

Anyways, just seemed like since 54 40 was explicitly about gaining additional territory, it seems like it should have a card if you pull it off... but now that you mention the threat of New England Succession, I think the possibility to lose states would be incredibly interesting too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Looking at the map again, yes, you're probably right it would more likely be its own state. By the way, for anyone who has not seen it a fascinating book is How the States Got Their Shapes.

Interesting idea about the Rebellions, thank you. I guess I could look at how French-speaking New Orleans reacted to becoming part of the US for an example that actually happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.