13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for Gamer Weekend wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Sedenya
msg tools
Hi all!

We have a Gamer weekend on the horizon and I would like to get some recommendations.

We are 6 players, playing for fun and laughs as well as for (medium) serious strategic challenges.

The 3,5 days should feature a good mixture of fillers and long, epic boardgames (though no "proper" war-games).

We tend to like weird, crazy games (e.g. Ca$h&Guns/Space Alert/Space Cadets: Dice Duel), epic 4x (Eclipse, TI3). Co-Ops, intrigue and player elimination are ok.
Very abstract Euros like El Grande we do not like.
Fantasy/Dungeon Crawls would be great, too, but I hate Talisman.

6+ player games we enjoyed so far (in order of playing time/complexity):

- Resistance: Avalon
- Ca$h & Guns
- Nuns On The Run
- Bang!
- Rampage (using two games)
- Space Cadets: Dice Duel
- Dungeon Fighter
- Space Alert (6th player as "Game Master")
- Small Worlds
- Eclipse
- Twilight Imperium 3
- Dominant Species
- Here I Stand

Unplayed, but on my list so far:

- Warrior Knights
- Colt Express

Any other games we should give a try?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cutthroat Caverns could work well!

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or Star Wars: Imperial Assault for dungeon crawling goodness, but I do not know if you can play them with 6.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game or Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game might also be worth a look.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shodan71 wrote:

- Resistance: Avalon

There's The Resistance + some modules from The Resistance: Hidden Agenda and/or The Resistance: Hostile Intent as an alternative. Hostile Intent is probably better value if you have Avalon as there is very little overlap (I've not any hostile intent modules yet).

FlowerFall might be worth a look for the fun and laughs category, as might Red7 (I've not played either but have looked at reviews and both are on my wishlist)

Haggis (2-3p) - which it's only 3 players it can be useful to have some smaller games for people who have been eliminated or are up earlier or later than everyone else.

Hey, That's My Fish! (2-4p) or Hive Pocket (2p) for the same reason as Haggis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Cop Bad Cop is a good hidden traitor game in the style of resistance or bang but with some unique mechanics.

King of New York should also fit fine into your criteria. It's a fun "take that!" Beat 'em up. Pretty light.
Tales of the Arabian Nights is a very fun group storytelling game that's more about the experience than anything else.

For a meatier thematic game there's Eldritch Horror. It's a co-op but more often than not you're off on your own adventure anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lighter game which works very well for 6 players would be Citadels:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/478/citadels

With 6 or 7 players I also really like 7 Wonders.
It's definitly on the lighter side, too. But it plays pretty quick (simulatious actions) and has many decisions to make in much less than a hour:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders
Definitly a Euro, but for me it's not a dry game.

My ultimate suggestions for kind of geeky game events would have been Galaxy Trucker - so much fun but even with expansion it's only a 5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
And download the app before playing ...

BANG! The Dice Game

The Thing

[redacted]

Have fun!|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good light games for 6:
Unexploded Cow - silly theme that works, gameplay is simple and different (at least from my gaming knowlage) enough.
Pit - simple, fast, loud, fun
Enemy Chocolatier - more of a game than the others still simple rules and fun theme
The there's always a place for Catch Phrase! and other family games in a group of even numbers

slightly heavyer but still light/pro-casual group:
Catan - a classic choice, I know a euro but at 6 players its about the trading and building interactions
Acquire - a stock holding game that my group enjoyed more than I thought when I first came across it
Betrayal at House on the Hill - a good theme/story driven game works best with 5-6 players

For more heavier games you and others covered all the ones I can think of and experience in.
I recently started checking into different versions of risk because small world was such a hit in my group, you may want to do the same. The top three seem to be: Risk Legacy Risk: Godstorm and Risk 2210 A.D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Roeswood
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendations for Games for 6 based on your group's preferences:

Shadows over Camelot -- Co-op game with a traitor!

Illuminati -- If you can find a copy, weird fun with lots of backstabbing and strategy

Survive! With 6 player expansion -- Escape the island! It's crumbling! There are sharks and dragons everywhere! AAAAAAHHHHHH!

7 Wonders -- great medium strategy game

Bohnanza -- wacky bean farming and trading game that plays well with any number

Any Fluxx Game -- Fun, crazy, and quick, lots of genres based on your group's likes

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Tons of replay ability - unique game play.

We like Liar's Dice for 6.
If you have dice you can borrow from other games (need 5 per player) and some plastic cups you have yourself a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Germany
Böblingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Filler

+1 to One Night Ultimate Werewolf

Shadow Hunters

Strategic

Game of Thrones (2nd edition)

Dune, if you can get your hands on it (or better: want to make a DIY copy with Ilya's files here on BGG). An alternative would be Rex: Final Days of an Empire, which is easier to get than Dune, but IMO the changes from Dune to Rex were overwhelmingly to the worse, though

Political

If Political games work for your group I highly recommend the (in that genre IMO still unsurpassed) Republic of Rome

Chaotic Fun

Cosmic Encounter, but this would need an expansion to play it with 6 people (or at least some additional counters/markers for the sixth player, poker chips might work)

Hidden Traitor

+1 to Battlestar Galactica

Co-op

+1 to Eldritch Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Senji
Room 25
BANG! The Dice Game
King of Tokyo
Dune / Rex: Final Days of an Empire
Elder Sign
Alhambra
Formula D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Sedenya
msg tools
Sorry, for not responding earlier, but "real life" kept me from the keyboard for some days...

Anyway - thank you all for the great and inspiring recommendations!

Especially Room25, Escape and Libertalia were put on top positions of my buy list!

The weekend went pretty weird, as we started with Warrior Knights (rather "meh", but might be some major rules misunderstanding) and Nuns On The Run (not enthusiasm, but the game really grew on people after the first couple of plays - so we might see it again on weekends to come).

Then we put Eclipse on the table after 1,5 years and kind of got stuck with it - 4 plays in a row and despite some strategic shortcomings on my side, everybody was having a great time.
This wasn't planned and we did not have that kind of focus on one game for years. Here I Stand went home untouched because of this.

Still and because of reasons I cannot really put my finger on and despite the elegance of Eclipse's rules and the awesome usability of the components I still find something lacking... but this is a different topic.

Last game to get played was Colt Express, which I really liked, but for half of the group it did nit really click.
Lack of strategic options and/or lack of the opportunity to be nasty were the main concerns.
I thought it was chaotic, easy fun, but if you are looking for some strategic depth (like in Space Alert, that has a similar pre-planning mechanism) or nastiness (like in Bang! or RoboRally) you might be better served elsewhere.

Thanks again for your input!

Happy gaming,
Stefan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.