J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
***DRONE DECK SPOILERS***

***DRONE DECK SPOILERS***

We won our first game tonight. It was our 3rd time playing the game. The caveat is that we hit a facehugger drone card FIRST round of the game, and the player was going to become an alien no matter what since neither of the other two players had 3 battle power.

We house ruled and just swapped the facehugger for a random card from the drone deck.

While I think the facehugger is a great drone card, having it come first round is rough. Granted, it was also fairly unlucky. I think that's going to be my house rule from here on out though. If the facehugger drone appears within the first few rounds of the game and no one can kill it, we swap it. Alien player is neat but that's not the central premise to my gaming experience as of now.

After I beat the game a bunch more times on all the movies I'll probably go back as it will make it more interesting if it ever happens again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it can also happend in the second or third round, or...

Play with the Alien deck rules. That way the "killed" player is still doing something (and he might even win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:

We won our first game tonight. It was our 3rd time playing the game. The caveat is that we hit a facehugger drone card FIRST round of the game, and the player was going to become an alien no matter what since neither of the other two players had 3 battle power.

Not sure if you're playing the facehugger correctly (or maybe I've got it wrong). If the 1st player gets the facehugger, it doesn't help if the 3rd player is able to kill it, since the hugger will infect the 1st player at the end of the 2nd player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:

Not sure if you're playing the facehugger correctly (or maybe I've got it wrong). If the 1st player gets the facehugger, it doesn't help if the 3rd player is able to kill it, since the hugger will infect the 1st player at the end of the 2nd player's turn.

Yeah, you're right I wasn't playing it correctly. Agh this game is hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimmo Viitanen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
coyotemoon722 wrote:

We won our first game tonight. It was our 3rd time playing the game. The caveat is that we hit a facehugger drone card FIRST round of the game,

I'd say it really doesn't matter which turn it is you reveal the facehugger. You can get yourself screwed in any round by risking scanning and then not having attack left to kill whatever it is you scanned. To me your houserule takes away from, and not adds to, the game. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played twice so far, and we pretty quickly decided that we should only scan if we had at least 3 more attack left over after the scan ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Only played twice so far, and we pretty quickly decided that we should only scan if we had at least 3 more attack left over after the scan ^_^

That seems extremely difficult to pull off early game since there are only 5 grunts in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Gawain wrote:

That seems extremely difficult to pull off early game since there are only 5 grunts in your deck.

Exactly, so don't scan ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Waiting for enough attack to scan AND kill whatever you scan on the same turn? You sure you have that much time? That would mean a few turns of basically doing nothing with your attack cards.

I'm not that patient. Couldn't do it.

Aren't the odds of you pulling a face hugger from the drone deck pretty small? I would risk it. Losing that much tempo on the off chance you reveal something really nasty doesn't seem worth it. Keep that complex clear as possible and you're gonna have an easier game.

Just take your chances and scan. What's the worst that could happen? You die. Big deal. Suck it up, man. No one lives forever.

And besides, if you get a face hugger then you're an Alien. That's pretty badass. Live in the moment. Embrace the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with Alien Players, sure. Not when it's your 1st/2nd game, and you're not, and you risk eliminating players in round 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gawain wrote:
... you risk eliminating players in round 1.

I can't disagree with you. But, I don't know how much of a risk that actually is and I'm too lazy to figure out those odds.

My thought is that you'll kill off the aliens faster, overall, if you scan when you can. I certainly don't have any numbers or vast experience to back that up though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
My thought is that you'll kill off the aliens faster, overall, if you scan when you can. I certainly don't have any numbers or vast experience to back that up though.

It definitely depends on which movie you're playing (or which objective, if you're mixing them together). If you're playing with The S.O.S., you don't want to scan if you can't kill the eggs. It'd be better to have them drop into the Combat Zone, get revealed for free, and then whack them.

There are plenty of objectives that have cards that make it much rougher if they reach the Combat Zone, though. I just played with Nothing Can Stop It, where one enemy makes all other aliens in the Combat Zone gain +3 combat, and another prevents strikes from being healed (not to mention a very tough unique enemy from that set who gets much worse in the CZ). You're much better off if you can kill them in the Complex, which means you have to scan.

The other thing is that you don't always have to spend combat strength to scan. Sometimes you can use card effects to do it for free (or an alternate cost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this one...it almost ruined my enjoyment.

We were in Objective 1, the SOS, and somehow pushing Hive Cards into the Combat Zone and scanning resulted in us discovering all 4 Egg cards first...before any Event cards were pulled. Shockingly we also had very little to work with in our decks and I pulled an Event...4 Facehuggers...how do you stop that?

I had enough attack to kill 2 of them myself, and managed to pull Lambert's attack coordinate on the next draw and the next player had just enough to finish off the third and fourth using my coordinate.

I went from "This is super thematic and awesome!" to "Dude are you serious, why am I even playing this?" to "Ok, it's possible to bounce back with an extremely lucky draw."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.