Subject: Ripped off what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I was watching a Dicetower video and they quickly mentioned that 7 wonders wasn't original and that they had played "a similar game" 2 years before 7 Wonders came out.

Do you know which game that might be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas K
msg tools
Fairy Tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agentus wrote:
Fairy Tale.

I had never heard of that game...

which game would you say id better? (I realise this is very subjective...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're similar because of the draft and pass mechanic. Fairy Tale is smaller and a bit cheaper, points based on sets of cards still face up. 7 Wonders also has some set collection, but a bit varied and with some other concepts of buying, warfare, and of course the expansions. I'd read some comprehensive reviews or watch a couple of videos showing game play to see what fits best. Fairy Tale is limited to 4 or 5 depending on version. 7 Wonders plays up to 7.

You could also throw in Among the Stars as another game that has drafting as a mechanic, but adding in placement of the cards you draft to put together a space station. Some have said this game replaced 7 Wonders for them. It all comes down to your tastes and gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas K
msg tools
M7N6L wrote:
Agentus wrote:
Fairy Tale.

I had never heard of that game...

which game would you say id better? (I realise this is very subjective...)

For an easy quick draft game: Sushi Go

If you want a little more: 7 Wonders.

Fairy Tale somehow never resonated with me. I have it but never play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And fairy tale ripped off from poker as they both use cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned Fairy Tale and it didn't ever really seem like a good game to me. 7 Wonders is a much more fully realized gaming experience and beyond the drafting mechanic, I don't think the two have much in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unveilmyeyes wrote:
And fairy tale ripped off from poker as they both use cards?

I believe you are taking the contextual intent out of the original comment. What they are attesting is that 7 Wonder game mechanic was not innovative in and of itself because Fairy Tale, that also uses that mechanic came out before 7 Wonders. The entire basis of the argument was to address many people's belief that this began, and thus innovative, with 7 Wonders. For many people, 7 Wonders was their first exposure to this mechanic, and Sam really wants to make people aware of Fairy Tale and give credit where credit is due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have and like both games and disagree with the Dice Tower that 7W ripped off Fairy Tale. As others mentioned the similarity is in the draft and pass mechanic, however from there, little is in common.

7W has the wonder board, which will affect your strategy. It has resources to acquire to help your building options, has money to spend or trade to build or acquire for points. 7W also has a building tree. The expansions even add more variety.

Fairy Tale has a different drafting strategy. 7W will provide some direction initially about selecting resource/commodity/trading cards initially or something towards your wonder (or leader). FT doesn't have the strategy in that case to guide you--you have to do it on the fly. The thing about FT that I like better than 7W is that in FT, you draft, but not play your cards. You assemble your hand of drafted cards then get to play the best three in order. So at least I can assemble a hand whereas in 7W I draft the best card (or bury a very useful card for my opponent).

FT also seems to have different interaction. Both games have interaction of denying (selecting/burying) a useful card an opponent can use. 7W has the military interaction, trading interaction, and more interaction through Cities. FT has more attack cards which flip them. FT also has cards which provide points if you have the most of a certain type, so there is a race element.

Both are good games and different enough to play either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play both games. I prefer 7Wonders, by far, over Fairy Tale. Apart from the replayability (virtually unlimited in 7W) I also think FT is trumped by 7W when it comes to acessibillity, depth and iconography. Apart from the drafting aspect, they play very differently, though.
That having been said, FT does get play time at our place.

Edit: ninjad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Having played both 7 Wonders and Fairy Tale, I would agree that 7 Wonders is not a "rip-off" of FT. True they both use the card drafting mechanic, but two games that share the same core mechanic is hardly an uncommon occurrence. 7 Wonders is still substantially different, so both games have their place.

Personally, I prefer FT because it is simpler and faster to play. 7W is still a great and engaging game, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were other games even before Fairy Tale that used a drafting mechanic. In fact, there are probably some old timey card games (played using a regular deck of cards!) that use some variation of card drafting.

I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a version of Hearts that has you passing two or three cards to your neighbour before starting the round. I seem to recall doing that back in high school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the draft mechanic is similar 7 Wonders in not a rip off of Fairy Tale. I remember hearing an interview with Antoine Bauza and he was asked about the similarities and he said that he had never played or heard of the game before developing and creating 7 Wonders. The draft mechanic has been used in other games and in fact you can look at it coming from booster drafts done with CCGs. I think it is a bit disingenuous for Dice Tower to make a statement like that without concrete evidence that Antoine Bauza consciously lifted the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two important points here:

1. I own and love 7 wonders+extensions...I am not at all interested in the original game as I tend to prefer longer deeper game and 7 wonders is probably the shortest casual game I play. From what i understand Fairy Tales is not as deep so...

2. Dice Tower guys said they had played a similar game 2 years prior to the release of 7 wonders, not that 7 wonders ripped anything off. I named my post "ripped off" just for the fun of it. They actually said in their video that 7 wonders was a good game and better than the original game it was inspired of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for the OP to clear his choice of word up or else DT is going to take some heat (maybe) for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.