Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, it's almost time for my winter order, and I've built up quite a list of games that I want, but the problem is that I can only get two due to cash and closet space restraints. Below is the list of games that I'm thinking of buying. Here's what I'd like you to do. Imagine that you don't have any of these games and that you were given a choice of two from the game fairy. Which two would you pick and why? Don't worry about my gaming situation. Just answer for yourself. Thanks. And the list:

Shogun (assume that you don't have Wallenstein either)
Mission: Red Planet
Robo Rally
Nexus Ops
Marvel Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had the chance to play around with Marvel Heroes at GenCon, and it was pretty fun -- definitely something I'll think about grabbing in the next few months. Nexus Ops has really grown on me -- I've had it for about a year.

Personally, I'd go for those two, but it's since I don't know anything about you, well, take it for what it's worth.

I have the older pewter-guys edition of RoboRally but I don't play it that much. Mission: is something I'm intrigued by, but I've purchased way too much stuff over the past few years and I need to think for more than 30 seconds about buying new games!

You should be able to find some great deals on Nexus Ops, and it's a very fun game to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun without a doubt. After that, I'd go for Mission: Red Planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may well get Shogun even though I have Wallenstein already. Of the others, RoboRally is my favorite, but Nexus Ops is in there too. The others don't interest me that much, so I'd go with Shogun and RR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops & Marvel Heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun......

And then I'd fill my fridge with Kirin Ichiban beer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Shogun. I love Wallenstein, and not just because of the tower. I like how it balances luck and non-luck. You have some elements you can plan for, yet there is a bit of the unknown as well, but you still know what that unknown is, just not in the order it will occur (annual actions). The tower is nice as well, even though I know it drives some critics nuts. I've found though that if you pump in a lot of troops, you'll get a lot out. Only a few, then that's when things get dicey but that's warefare for you when dealing with peasant armies and mercenaries that like to switch sides.

Robo Rally would be my next choice and is on my to-get list. I enjoyed planning the turns with the cards you have to get to where you needed to go for flag pickups while hedging your bets with the traps on the board. The nice thing is that you're never completely out of the game in case things go really bad for you.

I haven't played the others, but in terms of interest I'd grab Mission next followed by Nexus. Dunno about Heroes as I haven't read anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Shogun, and then it would be a toss up between Robo Rally and Nexus Ops for the second one. I'd probably get Nexus Ops if I was more likely to have just 2 people around, and get Robo Rally if I was more likely to have a group of people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt, Game Number One of my purchase would be Robo Rally. It's my favorite game ... in part because it's so versatile. It can be long or short, easy or hard, straight-forward or chaotic, played with 2 or 8 or anywhere in between, all by choosing which boards to play and where to put the flags, etc.

Not everybody likes it, but I would say definitely get Robo Rally.

As for Game Number Two, that's not as clear cut for me. Of the 5 games you listed, I've only played Robo Rally and Nexus Ops, and I enjoy both of those. Of the other 3, they all look really good to me and I'm hoping for a chance to play them sometime.

I guess I'll say: Get Robo Rally. Then listen to someone else more knowledgeable than me for your 2nd game. But get Robo Rally.

robotrobotrobot thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops, while it is still cheap and available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shogun and RoboRally. Guess which I already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
HamsterOfFury wrote:
Shogun......

And then I'd fill my fridge with Kirin Ichiban beer.

You live in England and you drink Kirin? England, home of Samuel Smith and Bass? Right next door to the land of Guiness? The country that developed a whole style of beer just so their deployed troops could get good beer (IPA)? And you drink Kirin? I'm stunned!

Oh and I have Nexus Ops, Roborally, and Shogun on my Christmas order, but Shogun is a gift for a non-family memeber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Roborally and Shogun. Then I'd sneak in Nexus Ops if I found it cheap somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Shogun and Marvel Heroes. No contest for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good recommendations from all. Thanks. If you don't mind, for those of you who have played these games, how about giving me a little more info about your gaming experience with these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you don't mind, for those of you who have played these games, how about giving me a little more info about your gaming experience with these games.

Get Robo Rally.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here.

Get Robo Rally.

I've played Robo Rally since it first came out ('94, I think). I've played it many, many times since then. I can't recall ever playing a game of Robo Rally that I didn't enjoy, whether I won or whether I came in dead last.

Get Robo Rally.

It's my favorite game out of the 200+ games that I own, and my favorite game out of the (who knows how many) games that I've played.

Get Robo Rally.

I wrote a session report recently. You can read it if you want a taste of one given game, but the main reason I bring it up is that during that game the person who came in 2nd was bargaining with us to allow him to continue to play after he touched the last flag. In fact, he considered NOT touching the flag because he was having so much fun that he didn't want to have to stop if he came in 2nd. (It was a tournament setting in which we needed to play until at least 3rd place for ribbons.) How many games do you know of where a person regrets winning because he has to stop playing? A link to it is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/932167#932167

Get Robo Rally.

I'd be hard pressed to choose the 2nd game to purchase from your list of 5 great games, but your 1st game should be Robo Rally. (As someone pointed out above, Hasbro recently announced that they aren't going to be selling Nexus Ops any more (along with several other AH games). That might tip the scales towards buying that before it goes away.)

Get Robo Rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a beautiful story and very touching, and for some reason I have this irresistable urge to get Robo Rally. I don't know why. Well, it's looking like I might be getting Shogun and Robo Rally. If anyone wants to make a last ditch effort to save one of the other games from disappearing from my order, now is the time to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my work here is finished.

I'm tired. But it's a good kind of tired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.