Dust Tactics» Forums » News

Subject: Lionsgate acquires rights for a DUST movie adaptation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a *very* active top on the General BGG Forums, surprised nobody has posted on this side of the front!

You can read about it here and here

What seems interesting to me, is that the first article mentions that the rights have been acquired from FFG. Does this mean Paolo and FFG held the rights? Is that even legally possible, for one of the parties to sell the rights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Migdolas wrote:
There's already a *very* active top on the General BGG Forums, surprised nobody has posted on this side of the front!

What seems interesting to me, is that the first article mentions that the rights have been acquired from FFG. Does this mean Paolo and FFG held the rights? Is that even legally possible, for one of the parties to sell the rights?

More than likely just another example of bad reporting.

They just noticed the words "Dust" and "based-on-the-boardgame", made a quick Google on Dust, found the old strategy board game and the FFG logo and then declared the license was taken from FFG.

I participated in 9 different press conferences in my life. Number of times journalists presented the info 100% correctly: 0 out of 9 (with multiple journalists in every occasion). Always a mistake or misinformation given to the public in every single instance.
The problem is that journalists take all about 5 seconds to understand something (which they often don't), and then try to focus only on what THEY think is important (and not who called the press conference think what is important... y'know, the reason they called them in the first place).

What i learned: take ANY news with a HUGE grain of salt. They can report a car crash in an ok fashion, but ask them to report anything that require them to understand something and you'll get bad information. Every. Single. Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
didnt lionsgate do the mutant chronicles movie ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Migdolas wrote:

They just noticed the words "Dust" and "based-on-the-boardgame", made a quick Google on Dust, found the old strategy board game and the FFG logo and then declared the license was taken from FFG.

I participated in 9 different press conferences in my life. Number of times journalists presented the info 100% correctly: 0 out of 9 (with multiple journalists in every occasion). Always a mistake or misinformation given to the public in every single instance.
The problem is that journalists take all about 5 seconds to understand something (which they often don't), and then try to focus only on what THEY think is important (and not who called the press conference think what is important... y'know, the reason they called them in the first place).

What i learned: take ANY news with a HUGE grain of salt. They can report a car crash in an ok fashion, but ask them to report anything that require them to understand something and you'll get bad information. Every. Single. Time.

To quote from the article in the first link:

"Lionsgate has acquired the big screen rights to Fantasy Flight Games’ popular sci-fi strategy board and miniature game series Dust "

I dunno, that seems a true statement to me. I mean it certainly isn't popular since Battlefront took over... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

"Lionsgate has acquired the big screen rights to Fantasy Flight Games’ popular sci-fi strategy board and miniature game series Dust "

I dunno, that seems a true statement to me. I mean it certainly isn't popular since Battlefront took over... whistle

Well:

"Lionsgate has acquired the big screen rights to Fantasy Flight Games’ Dust Games popular unpopular sci-fi strategy board and miniature game series Dust "

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah colour me less than enthusiastic about Dust right now. I'm one of the folks who has been largely screwed in the KS debacle, and until that gets sorted out I don't really have any interest in supporting the game or spin-offs from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
Cygnus2112 wrote:
deedob wrote:
Migdolas wrote:

To quote from the article in the first link:

ZIIIIIING !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Whoa, those are some gross generalizations about "journalists." I think you're harboring a few misconceptions about what a real reporter does, and what it takes to get real news out. And a reporter's job is not to focus on whatever corporate or government line is being fed to him. That's called "being spun."

Anyway, it looks like the original piece of reporting from The Hollywood Reporter never mentions Fantasy Flight (although it uses the game as an illustration).

The writer who injected the "Fantasy Flight" element appears to be a film blogger who essentially reposted the news with a little personal commentary. No actual reporting there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="newsguy"]
Quote:

Whoa, those are some gross generalizations about "journalists." I think you're harboring a few misconceptions about what a real reporter does, and what it takes to get real news out. And a reporter's job is not to focus on whatever corporate or government line is being fed to him. That's called "being spun."

do you really want to start an arguement about the objectivity of the media under the obama dictatorship ?

the news has gone from objective reporting to towing the party line , and thus i would have a REAL hard time finding an article or report that doesnt drip with the reporters personal feelings and opinions , and a very few heavily obscured facts .

and NO , i dont watch fox news either as i dont have cable , but watching the press buy everything obama is selling ..................

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.