Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just received my copy of Valley Games' recent reprint of Die Macher, and I'm wondering how many people I should arrange for my first play of it. I've heard that it's better with more than three, but how many for a first play: four or five?

Presumably with five it will take longer than four, but does it add enough to the game to be worth the extra time? Is it comprable in quality with both numbers? Is the time difference enough to be concerned about? Should I just plan for five and thus allow for one cancellation? Is there anything different about this edition that changes the optimal player number from 2nd edition?

What say you, denizens of BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game had 4 players and took 5 hrs. That included teaching the rules and stepping through them the first two turns and which took about two hours. Turns 3-7 then went pretty quickly as we were comfortable with what we were doing and took the remaining 3 hrs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have read, for your first play you might want to use the variant where you slide the cards on the natinoal board instead of just replacing them.

I am curious about the number of players as well since I just got my copy and plan on playing next week.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about that variant, In my one game, we used the Valley Games rules as stated, where cards are placed from left to right when spaces are open and place anywhere when full. During the game one player won 3 elections in a row (turns 2,3 & 4) and pretty much pulled away from everyone. If we had added platform cards from the left, he would have had a huge advantage and possibly been a runaway leader. As it was he still beat us all by 25 pts, whereas players 2-4 were less than 3 pts apart from each other.

With more experience, I'm sure we could have done a better job of preventing the 3 wins in a row. But as it was, no one made a huge jump in points because national platform cards were added.

Edited Post: Forget what I said above, I completely botched the rule. In the variant, platform cards are removed, remaining cards slid left and the new card added on the right. This has the effect of making the remaining platforms worth less "seats" each turn, but makes them worth more in the final victory point total. The new card will attract more seat in the national board each turn, but is worth less in the final tally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanT wrote:
I'm not sure about that variant, In my one game, we used the Valley Games rules as stated, where cards are placed from left to right, but not slid from left to right. During the game one player won 3 elections in a row (turns 2,3 & 4) and pretty much pulled away from everyone. If we had added platform cards from the left, he would have had a huge advantage and possibly been a runaway leader. As it was he still beat us all by 25 pts, whereas players 2-4 were less than 3 pts apart from each other.

With more experience, I'm sure we could have done a better job of preventing the 3 wins in a row. But as it was, no one made a huge jump in points because national platform cards were added.

I am not sure if I explained it right or maybe I am misunderstanding you. From what I have read about the variant, you place cards from left to right if there are spaces left. Once the spaces are full, if you remove a card from the national board, you slide all the cards to the left and put the new card on the right. This will allow someone from putting a card in there near the end of the game at the leftmost position and get the big bonus.

I haven't played the game yet but from what I have read, this is way alot of people do play.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
I am not sure if I explained it right or maybe I am misunderstanding you. jonpfl

No, I just transposed my "left" and "right" I edited the post so hopefully it makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.