Myth» Forums » General

Subject: BGG Story Competition - Myth Journeyman - VOTING rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I want to take a quick moment and recognize eight individuals here on the Geek.

Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools

MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Tott Donetta
msg tools

Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb

Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jonathan Ricks

Texas
msg tools

Sudo Nim
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

These folks all put in the significant efforts to create a story for us to review, judge and ultimately determine a favorite.

Regardless of who’s selected by this community, you are all winners to me and I applaud you publically for your submissions. Thank you. These stories probably add some 40 hours game play to the base game of Myth; a fantastic feat. I’d say we, as a community, definitely benefited from this competition. So thanks for all the long nights, skipped family time and your commitment to the Myth community!

So here’s the next step in this process. All 8 stories have been gathered and stored in this Geek List. I’ll ask the authors to refrain from editing their works until the voting closes just to be fair to your fellow competitors.

Please take a moment to download the entries and read through each story.

The voting poll is below. I will leave the voting open until March 19th (I reserve the right to extend this date if I feel there’s a need).

The only way I know how to conduct a vote on BGG is via the “poll” feature. The one challenge with this option is we all have the ability to change our vote. Does anyone know of a better way to conduct a BGG vote?? If so, please post below OR PM me. Thanks. Assuming there’s not a better way, I ask for the community’s cooperation and ask that we all refrain from changing votes once they are cast. Thank you.

Some things to keep in mind
MegaCon games has complete creative control with the winning submission. I expect whatever we submit as a winning entry will go through various edits and play tests before being finalized.

These stories are hard to create. Balance changes may need to occur after proper play testing. Please keep this in mind when voting. Judge the winner based on what you’d like to play. If there’s a particularly difficult spawn, monster or new mechanic know it will be tested and tweaked appropriately.

I’ve seen several of the authors ask for feedback. While they cannot change their stories during this voting period, giving each of them your opinion only furthers their current story and possibly future stories they will create. Please consider offering constructive feedback - they each deserve it.

I cannot guarantee anything, but I have plans for future community competitions. If this process is successful (which I think it will be), then we’ll have a blueprint for future events. The MegaCon team is highly interested in how well this competition is a) received and b) processed.

Right now, I can’t think of anything else. Please post questions below.

I’ll thank everyone in advance for participating in the vote!

-Alex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Poll
Please download and read all 8 Story Quest submissions. Select your favorite and vote below. The winning entry is passed onto MegaCon for inclusion in their Myth: Journeyman Kickstarter
What Story was your favorite?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Madness of Dr. Optengraf by Tim Chase (torva)
2.2% 3
The Terror Queen by MM (Mistermannindy)
13.4% 18
The Fae Folk by Tott Donetta (Tott_Donetta)
3.0% 4
Mirror of Souls by Tobias Loeffler (nimmzwei)
36.6% 49
Yardu's Revenge by Jonathan Rowe (deadmarlowe)
31.3% 42
A Question of Honor by Dan Gillis (F0rmally Kn0wn As)
3.7% 5
Not By Sight by Jonathan Ricks (Oileta)
4.5% 6
It Came From the Sea by Sudo Nim (thesigma)
5.2% 7
Voters 134
This poll is now closed.   134 answers
Poll created by MythMod
Closes: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
reserving for future use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
reserving for winner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I just want to say thanks to those who have voted thus far. If there are any questions, please post them here or PM me. I am hoping we get a large number of voters here. I can tell you that MegaCon will judge the success of this competition, not only by the quality of the submissions (which have been quite impressive) but also by the voter turnout.

I am absolutely prepared to press MegaCon for more competitions. They are very open to it. They will be much more inclined to hear this group if we can show strength in numbers. Hopefully this makes sense. At the moment, I don't think there's really any way to judge the "size" of the community. Are we large or possibly infinitesimally small? Are we simply a place where the 1% gather or do we represent a majority of backers? I suspect we are somewhere in between, but there's no way to know. There are 712 ratings of Myth on the home page of BGG - just for perspective.

Rest assured, if the Story competition ends with 50 total votes, our community will be viewed much different than if we end with 500.

Please consider participating in this process and vote for your favorite story. Your vote is being used for much more than just determining the winner.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Reading these makes me wish I had taken the time to submit something. These are all really good! Congrats to each of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
I M really excited about the competition and have downloaded all the stories. I just don't have any time to go through all of ghis stuff atm.
I hope to glance over them and then make a decision for my vote based on my gut feeling. I guess theme and creativity for new concepts (noot just hack and slay) are going to be my basis.

Thanks to all participants and tbe mythmod!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to attempt to play each of these this week before voting.

I'll be back...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
I hope to glance over them and then make a decision for my vote based on my gut feeling. I guess theme and creativity for new concepts (noot just hack and slay) are going to be my basis.

Thorsten - you have until the 18th to vote. Maybe that gives you more time than you thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
i have one read trough done, going to read trhough again and then vote. not enough time to play them.. but they all read FUN! many thanks to the creators!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, they are all fantastic. For those creators who are not getting a lot of votes, I just want to say that it isn't because your Story Quests are bad at all. They are all full of creativity, interesting tweaks, and just fun stuff. I honestly had a hard time narrowing it down because I liked little things from each. Great work. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ok, i voted, but what a difficult choice. Excellent all around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. As I do more of these reviews on the eight story quests, I can't help but think there should be another Story Quest #9: give each of the creators one tile to put together in an overarching story.

A very hard decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will B.
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Holy crap guys, these were all really good. And a lot to digest. Some of these read very Mice & Mystics in format which is not a bad thing at all. I look forward to playing all of them when I have time.

Good luck to the authors, and thank you for taking the time to craft these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lapja lapja
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

Three things to consider :

1. Myth is ranked #1679 which is not really a among the best games here.

2. You also got a bunch of Kickstarters who were not very happy with the production time the original Myth took.

3. Generally extension do not sell as well as the original game.

Considering the above I would use the work you have put in the extension to create a new and better game, rather than trying to surf on Myth's bad karma.

just my two cents.

And by the way, no I would not buy an extension of Myth, let alone two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lapja wrote:
Guys,

2. You also got a bunch of Kickstarters who were not very happy with the production time the original Myth took.

Considering the above I would use the work you have put in the extension to create a new and better game, rather than trying to surf on Myth's bad karma.

just my two cents.

So, which one did you vote for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
lapja wrote:
Guys,

just my two cents.

So, which one did you vote for?

Ha-ha. I think this must have wandered in from another thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
Ha-ha. I think this must have wandered in from another thread...
I suspect the KS as it was mentioned in the first update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bump for all those who have not voted. Good luck to all contributors and well done everyone. Any word on when this wraps up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:
A bump for all those who have not voted. Good luck to all contributors and well done everyone. Any word on when this wraps up?

Alex said voting closes next week. We'll know the winner as soon as the vote ends by looking at the poll itself. I'm expecting finality next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get what's wrong with changing votes but whatever =P

It's not like I still vote for the same political party as I did the first time I voted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I honestly wished I could have voted for more than one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would've been nice to offer people 1st (3 points), 2nd (2 points) and 3rd (1 point) choices. For one thing, it would have given authors a chance to support scenarios other than their own... I voted for myself (that's not bad, is it?) but there's at least two other stories I'd have LOVED to support. Then again, a story with enough second-place support might eclipse one with a loyal following. Is that desirable? It would also encourage voters to read more than one story. That's definitely desirable. But then again, I wouldn't know how that could be set up on BGG. Perhaps it can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well said, Jonathan. Personally, I was fine with the single vote concept. Keeps things easy and uses the BGG construct to manage the process. I honestly don't think the end result will be any different.

What I think is great is we as a community get some great new stories that stretch out our gaming experience significantly. There are some awesome new game play ideas in those stories - I can only hope MegaCon reads all content posted here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was hoping for a booklet with ALL the Story Quests, like we got with the first Kickstarter. I know, it's kind of unrealistic, with the amount of work and playtesting involved to turn just one single story into an official module, but considering how small the MYTH-DEV-community is atm, I think it would be a great gesture and could motivate more people to create content for MYTH.
BTW I'm just starting to make my way through all the other stories and: Wow, guys, really great ideas and presentation. Really, really cool and I totally like Random's idea about a "best-of" module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.