9 Posts

Song of Blades and Heroes» Forums » General

Subject: What miniatures to use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hejsan Hej
msg tools
Hi all,
I'm looking for prepainted fantasy miniatures (for example humans, knights, elves, orcs, trolls, dragons and so on) to use with the Song of Blade and Heroes rules.

Is Heroscape a good choice? Or Heroclix, Horrorclix or Mage Knight? Would it look all ok as a whole to mix and match from all these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
The capital of New Hampshire is pronounced "Conquered." The people are called New Hamsters. They pronounce "aunt" to rhyme with "taunt."
mb
I'd go with D&D or Pathfinder minis for prepainted.

You can see a selection at http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/12 - just type in a search term in the search box, such as "elf" or "dwarf" or "archer" etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market has Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok on clearance. They are more detailed but also more fragile than D&D minis.

I use mainly D&D minis but have 2 warbands worked up from Confrontation minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You really can use anything you want. Mage Knight and old Horrorclix are easily obtained for very low prices. Confrontation minis might cost a little more, but generally look great. I don't know what the cost of the Pathfinder figures are, but I'm sure they'd work too.

I'd suggest picking up figures that you like the look of and making appropriate profiles for them. You can't really go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hejsan Hej
msg tools
Thanks alot for great help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trappan wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for prepainted fantasy miniatures (for example humans, knights, elves, orcs, trolls, dragons and so on) to use with the Song of Blade and Heroes rules.

Is Heroscape a good choice? Or Heroclix, Horrorclix or Mage Knight? Would it look all ok as a whole to mix and match from all these?

They would all look okay (as long as you can deal with the HeroClix bases). I've used all of these.

Heroscape: Great figures, great variety, EXPENSIVE (but worth it) AND hard to find.

Heroclix: Ok. Meh. Rather fraile. But SUPER CHEAP.

Horrorclix: Same as Heroclix. But tend to be pricey because they are hard to find.

Mage Knight: Better than HeroClix and just as cheap if you can find them. But again, Heroclix bases.

D&D/Pathfinder and even Reapers Legendary Encounters pre-painted to to be the best. Durable and droppable. But prices vary WIDELY. The cooler the figure, the higher the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used everything mentioned above. I tend to take heroclix off of their bases. Other cheap figures I use include plastic toy animals and dinosaurs, action figures as giants, figs from games like Descent or Battle Masters, and appropriately colored marbles as elementals or magical energies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
If you don't mind using 1/72 scale and leaving standard fantasy behind you can still get Arcane Legion prepaints very cheap at Miniature Market. There are 3 non-random booster bricks one for each faction for $12 each that have around 60 minis each in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hejsan Hej
msg tools
Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.