Henry Chang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the first edition for 50+ games with my wife, I finally added the expansion cards.

Regarding the Cathedral, the rules only specified that "At the beginning of the game, the cathedral is placed next to the role cards in the middle of the table. During the builder phase, any player can choose to build the cathedral instead of building one of the cards from their hand." However, if two (or more) players wanted to build the Cathedral, and since there is only one Cathedral, what will happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First come, first served. Turn order matters, just like in Puerto Rico. Thus, the player who chose the builder has first dibs on whether he wants the Cathedral. If not, his player to his left, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spiegel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hinghenry wrote:
After playing the first edition for 50+ games with my wife, I finally added the expansion cards.

Regarding the Cathedral, the rules only specified that "At the beginning of the game, the cathedral is placed next to the role cards in the middle of the table. During the builder phase, any player can choose to build the cathedral instead of building one of the cards from their hand." However, if two (or more) players wanted to build the Cathedral, and since there is only one Cathedral, what will happen?

We've always played it as a building that only one person can build. Once one builds it, they take the cathedral and place it in front of them like any other building. The only difference is it isn't shuffled into the deck and would never be a part of any player's hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only 1 for the whole game. Supposedly, there should be only one player who's the "odd man out" on not being able to get an 6-cost cards to save his life (which is exactly what the Cathedral's meant for). If multiple players are fighting for it, then you be getting at least some 6-costs yourself, or it's just going to be one of "those" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Oh right I guess I confused it with the rules of Race for the Galaxy. In RftG everyone put a card face down and reveal it simultaneously. That makes me wonder what happen if more than one player intend to build the Cathedral in the same round.

Now I noted that the rules says "To build, players take a card from their hand, lay it face UP on the table in front of them... ... The Builder builds first. Then in clockwise order, all other players may build one building each, if they choose it." So it's not simultaneous action! The later players can actually choose what to build in response to the other players' choice! Cool... that would lead to new (correct) way of playing the game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hinghenry wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Oh right I guess I confused it with the rules of Race for the Galaxy. In RftG everyone put a card face down and reveal it simultaneously. That makes me wonder what happen if more than one player intend to build the Cathedral in the same round.

Now I noted that the rules says "To build, players take a card from their hand, lay it face UP on the table in front of them... ... The Builder builds first. Then in clockwise order, all other players may build one building each, if they choose it." So it's not simultaneous action! The later players can actually choose what to build in response to the other players' choice! Cool... that would lead to new (correct) way of playing the game. Thanks!
You now get to see what others have built and react to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hinghenry wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Interesting you just noticed it was not simultaneous action selection after 50 plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Interesting you just noticed it was not simultaneous action selection after 50 plays.

I didn't mean simultaneous action(role) selection... If you read what I said I meant just the builder phase. It was alright when the Cathedral is not involved because everyone just pick one from their hand to build. It seems more fair if everyone reveal the building simultaneously, but the correct rule actually help balance the first-governor-player advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.