Subject: Games with chain of command rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a weird thought and am wondering if there are any wargames out there that represent the chain of command somehow.

Ideally I would want to find a multiplayer war game (team vs team) where each player has it's role. Like the leader is in charge of strategy and subordinates are figuring out the tactics or something like that ...

I don't know ... talk about different wargames that handle chain of command aspect.

I also wonder what house rules could be used for regular tactical wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Back in the day when I got tired of Blitzkreig and had got TacAir and didn't like it, I did a homemade game using the TacAir counters on the Blitzkreig map. These have HQ units. The chain of command rules were that without an HQ you could only activate one hex at a time. The next level up in HQ allowed you to activate all the units of that command even if in multiple hexes, and so on. As you reached higher HQ's, the act of activating large numbers of forces caused the HQ to flip to inactive, so your supreme HQ could do a very large attack or retreat, but was exhausted once used. Air units (TacAir had tons of these) could flip HQ's to their inactive side if attacking effectively.

The gist was that when both sides had good command and control things were fairly even, but if one side got an HQ advantage, they could do deep surrounding movements and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have a look at megagame makers in the UK. Teams and hierarchy is what they do:

http://www.megagame-makers.org.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't tried it myself, but The Guns of Gettysburg includes rules for a 2-vs-2 variant that is based on a (two-link) chain of command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Le Vol de l'Aigle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
goodpoints wrote:

Looks great.

I recall not so long ago someone round here starting up a big PBEM game but I can't remember who it was..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign for North Africa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Epic/Overlord mode in Commands & Colors: Ancients/Memoir '44

SUSD playing Overlord Memoir '44
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-memoir-44...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the Megagames games which are a cross between a board game and a LARP.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-megagame/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
badge
Solo Monk - Thelonious Monk
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Only to the degree where Leader Rank is enforced when leaders are in the same hex. I added Napoleon's Last Battles (campaign rules) to the post before seeing your reply; it is probably a better example because Commanders provide command to officers who in turn command units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
rstites25 wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Only to the degree where Leader Rank is enforced when leaders are in the same hex. I added Napoleon's Last Battles (campaign rules) to the post before seeing your reply; it is probably a better example because Commanders provide command to officers who in turn command units.

Isn't The Civil War a 2-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Battles of the American Civil War (GBACW) system (GMT) has a pretty important CoC system underpinning it. You have to maintain a CoC from Army Commander down to the regiment, and if you don't you have fewer potential activations per turn. At the start of a turn, each Corps determines it's Efficiency (which determines how many activations it *may* take during a turn). This number can be positively or negatively adjusted by proximity to the Army Commander... and the number of Activation chits is determined for each Division under each Corps. All the chits are put in a cup, and drawn one at at time until the cup is empty, signaling the administrative tasks at the end of a turn.

As each Divisional AM is drawn, each brigade under that Division can undertake its actions, one brigade at a time... unless a player risks trying to coordinate multiple brigades, after which he can move two or more brigades simultaneously.... or they may just dither and stand in confusion... or if you've got a firebrand for a Brigadier, he may touch off a hell-bent-for-leather charge towards the nearest enemy.

There are 6 games in the series and all use those basics, but also there are battle-specific rules added on, in conjunction with Random Events which really add that ACW flavor. The flash and elan and the ineptitude of various commanders does come into play... and the vagaries of the chit pull system mean that no two battles can ever play out the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately coming to mind: the orders systems in Civil War, Brigade (CWB) Series and Napoleonic Brigade Series. Designed to be handled by one player, there's no reason why there couldn't be a commander-in-chief player that is handing those orders to subordinate players to execute on the board.

EDIT: I've never played any Regimental Sub-Series or Line of Battle Series games, but I think they also have a similar orders system, which would make them similarly suited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
moujamou wrote:
goodpoints wrote:

Looks great.

I recall not so long ago someone round here starting up a big PBEM game but I can't remember who it was..

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234785/1806-campaign-start...

Should be this fellow. Unfortunately I ended up being too busy when it was starting and had to back out, not sure if he's still running it. I just recently got the first volume in a trade though and I'm itching to try it out with some interested parties at my club.

To further elaborate on OP's request, I would also suggest:

Toulon, 1793 which has rules for up to 5 players to play the various nations (and wings in the French case) involved and includes some pretty significant FoW in combination with a spying mechanic and some negotiation rules that encourage inter-factional friction

Tactical Combat Series, Napoleonic Brigade Series, and Civil War, Brigade (CWB) Series all share a similar, and quite superb, written orders command system that could easily accommodate formations being divided up to multiple players with some enforcement of limited communication between them. You would also have to accommodate WWII radio technology for TCS vs. courier based communication of NBS/CWBS. You might find some existing house rules somewhere out there if you dig through the CSW threads or something.

Campaigns of Napoleon System: 1x Series is also amenable to having multiple players commanding a corps or 2 and/or the army commander(s) with the addition of some communication restrictions. The most recent entry, The Habit of Victory, includes some rules to divide the Coalition into a Russian and Prussian player, though I don't recall much detail in the way of communication restrictions.

Eagles Of The Empire could also provide some inspiration with the detail it gives to organizational structure and corps command. The impulse activation system of modified initiative rolls determining the sequence of play could be very adaptable to team play of other games without disrupting core systems too much. Just come up with justifiable command ratings for formation commanders, factor in organizational efficiency and other unique situational factors as appropriate and then just dice off for the sequence of activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:
Ideally I would want to find a multiplayer war game (team vs team) where each player has it's role. Like the leader is in charge of strategy and subordinates are figuring out the tactics or something like that ...

here's a whole series of videos from exactly this kind of event that we run at Origins every summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZmLc1UegGc&list=UUARQpZmRq6...

we've got 4 of them planned for this year

edit: more details about previous years' events
http://grogheads.com/?p=4346
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jux_ wrote:

we also do similar exercises as a corporate teambuilding / leader-training event, too

http://harnessedelectrons.com/training.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:

I knew driving down to Origins would be worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bayonetbrant wrote:
Jux_ wrote:

here's a whole series of videos from exactly this kind of event that we run at Origins every summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZmLc1UegGc&list=UUARQpZmRq6...

edit: more details about previous years' events
http://grogheads.com/?p=4346

Very interesting.

Any chance that you have more detail available on the rules you use on top of an existing boardgame like Persian Incursion?

Have you looked into using the Tactical Combat Series before? From what I understand (from a limited non-military perspective), the orders/op planning system is based on principles of the Boyd OODA loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
here's where the discussions of Persian Incursion went

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd4d88d/292

This year, we're building all the games around OTS's FlashPoint Campaigns computer game, where we'll have the actual game dev's oeprating the game for us, so the participants just have to worry about the battle itself as the CDR, XO, OPS, INTEL, FIRES, etc staff positions

(for those of you that know the mils-speak, we run the CO, XO, S2, S3, S5, and FSO, and if enough participants, we have assistants to the 2 & 3; more than that and we split into 2 head-to-head teams)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A multi-player aar for GD '40

http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs/Lee/gd40/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathon Lethem
badge
Solo Monk - Thelonious Monk
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Sphere wrote:
rstites25 wrote:
Sphere wrote:

Isn't The Civil War a 2-player game?
I'm sorry, I must not have read the original post. (Poor excuse, I admit.) I had it in mind that the question was about representation of chain of command in the game, not players performing in that capacity. I'll change my recommendation to Napoleon's Triumph, where my description for Napoleon's Last Battles is a pretty good fit for how the players operate in a team game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Jux_ wrote:
I had a weird thought and am wondering if there are any wargames out there that represent the chain of command somehow.

I don't know ... talk about different wargames that handle chain of command aspect.
Most wargames don't deal with this matter specifically, (a) because they are intentionally designed to be suitable to two-player wargames, and (b) it is a trivial exercise to replace any command structure they have by the actual communication between players if you play them multiplayer. Apparently the La Bataille series was originally designed with this assumption in mind: each player gets a corps, has 10 minutes to move it each turn, there is an overall commander, and players can only talk to each other when they are in the same hex (otherwise have to exchange paper notes).

The game that I know that actually provide explicit rules for multiplayer play is Close Action: Naval Warfare in the Age of Napoleon, 1793-1815. It also has explicit signal rules that govern how information is exchanged between different ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the tactical level Stargrunt II
A figure game but you can always replace the figures with counters.

The lowest level is the squad (although a squad could make detachments) each squad (including HQ "squads") gets an activation but the squad leader can choose to (re)activate a lower level squad instead of his own squad.

Personal preference would be to run at company level with players controlling a platoon, attached transport or the company HQ.
With more players, either run at a battalion level (needs lots of space!) or give some players individual squads (but one ortillery strike in the wrong place could leave someone with nothing to do for the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try http://www.kriegsspiel.org.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide