Subject: Clarification on the "don't split the hive" rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of a question today, never came up in the (admittedly few) games I've played with the applet.

Let's say you have this situation:
.. ..
.. BB ..
-- AA
.. aa ..
bb ..
.. .. ..

BB/bb are queens, AA/aa are ants, and .. and -- are blank spaces. Pieces horizontally next to each other are touching (sorry, ASCII art makes hex grids tricky!)

Can AA move from its current location to the dashes? That is, it will move up/right, around its own queen, and come to land right next to where it started.

The rules say you can't move if that move breaks off some bugs from the main hive. In this case, as the ant moves, its own queen becomes disconnected from the other two bugs, but once the move is over, all the bugs are once again connected into a single hive.

Is the "must always be connected" rule only checked at the end of your move? Or during each step of a bug's movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I remember the hive can NEVER be split not even during a move that would return the hive to "completeness" at it's end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
That's how I play also.

When a piece is moved - check hive completeness when the piece is removed. If still complete - valid move. Otherwise, not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely not allowed, as I just recently pointed out in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130961#1129818

I don't have the paper rules handy, but the online rules show this very case to be illegal, hiding in the section cleverly named "One Hive Rule."
http://hivemania.com/images/page7.gif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers! I should have checked the online rules, as GaryP pointed out, it gives almost exactly the position I provided as their example of "you can't do this."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.