Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Callahan
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few references about the "traditional bring-a-game-take-a-game prize table", but I've never been to a BGGcon before, so don't know what this means.
I get the whole bring one game/get one game part (I'd say that's pretty much covered in the title), but I'm not sure what I should be bringing.

1 What do I need bring? New, used but good condition, doesn't matter??

2 Does it need to be wrapped? Just wondering if this is a secret exchange, or if everyone gets to see what is on the table.

3 Is it one game per group (cabin), or per person? My husband and I both may want to do this, but we don't want to appear greedy by bringing two/taking two.

4 How much do most people spend? I don't want to show up with Slide 5 and stand next to someone who brought War of the Ring Collector's Edition.

5 What age-range do I need to target? I'm not exactly going to be showing up with Busen Memo, but don't want to provide nightmare-fodder for some young child by bringing Arkham Horror.

6 And one more question because I want to use all of the dice: is there anything else that I should know?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the e-mail:

"We ask that you bring new, in-shrink games or something equally valuable."

I take that to mean new or possibly something that is out-of-print or has some other reason why it would be worth as much (or more) than a new game, and not something that is widely available and has been opened/played. This is just my take on what "equally valuable" means when I read it.

I think the e-mail also makes it clear that it shouldn't be wrapped.

"To encourage desirable items, we'll all vote on the most desirable item. Whoever brought that item gets first pick and then when your item is picked you get to pick next."

So there will be more and less desirable items but if you bring a less desirable item you'll be picking closer to the end. If one brings the very least desirable item and everyone agrees, that individual will likely be stuck with their own item at the very end.

I'll defer to the admin on whether it's one per cabin or one per person, but I don't think there is anything particularly "greedy" about bringing more items since you'll be getting items in return that are about equally desirable as the ones you brought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
except for them being unwrapped, it's a lot like the white elephant exchanges after Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
I'll defer to the admin on whether it's one per cabin or one per person, but I don't think there is anything particularly "greedy" about bringing more items since you'll be getting items in return that are about equally desirable as the ones you brought.

The idea is that it is one per person-who-wants-to-participate, so a couple in the same cabin can each bring a game and get a game. Kids too if they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Callahan
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I got the email, but lost it with everything else in my inbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lili Private
msg tools
mb
Thanks this was a helpful thread --are there examples of previously brought items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michariella wrote:
Thanks this was a helpful thread --are there examples of previously brought items?

In 2015 as I recall those were some of the offers:
Istanbul
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Lords of Waterdeep
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

The "better" or most "desired" game you bring the most likely you'll get to choose early. Most "desired" game owner gets to pick first, followed by the person who brought what is picked. If this closes a loop, then the next most "desired" game let's owner picks next.

As I recall many there was a wide range of variety, from small game expansions to larger games like the ones above. If you have anything unopened in shrink still that you don't care for it's a great way to get something else.

Even better, found a pic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.