Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... it appears there's one Blue, one Green, and one Red hit on each die. Blue hits blue, green hits green, and red hits red.

That's identical odds for each color.

Has there been any word as to why they didn't simply opt for one hit side and two blank sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well not having played Battlelore (but having played C&C:A and Memoir) there are probably other functions of the dice, such as the "THier Finest Hour" where you can activate one type of that unit for each mathcing symbol rolled, I'm sure battlelore will have an equivilent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilhelm Fitzpatrick
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, CC:A does exactly the same thing, and I found it just as annoying there. I wound up replacing the symbol dice in CC:A with a simple CRT using standard dice, and I have a hunch I may do the same thing with Battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It becomes important later when you add different and special effects which use the different sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesama wrote:
Well not having played Battlelore (but having played C&C:A and Memoir) there are probably other functions of the dice, such as the "THier Finest Hour" where you can activate one type of that unit for each mathcing symbol rolled, I'm sure battlelore will have an equivilent.

Hrm... but if there was a card that referred to the colors, couldn't you just put a table on that card:

Flag = Green
Lore = Blue
Hit = Red

... and maybe make the flag green, lore blue, and hit red to begin with if they wanted to go that far.

I mean, it seems like cards and special effects (especially if not common) could be reworked for greater elegance in the common "hit" mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I had to guess, part of the reasoning for doing the dice this way would be to make it consistent with all the other C&C system games. For Battle Cry and Memoir, the odds were different for different units. Here they are not (nor in Command and Colors Ancients). But for all cases hits are those that match the unit type. The presence of cards such as "activate a unit of each type rolled" could be the other reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
thesama wrote:

This is likely where the difference matters. Cards that tell you to roll a certain number of dice and activate matching units, or heal matching units, or perhaps there will be special abilities that allow one color to be converted to another, etc.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always found the dice mechanics in Battlecry and MM '44 enjoyable and clever. In BC the cannons were hard to hit but they were also quite weak. It made for some interesting decisions.

I am sure Mr. Borg has a reason for leaving those mechanics behind. But I'd really be interested to know.

It does seem like the dice are being underutilized but I am no designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmb
In the blog they do mention that certain troops get bonus hits on the bonus strike side and some get a bonus when a lore side is rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought some more about this issue. Perhaps it is a matter of good "fun" luck vs. bad "makes you mad" luck.

In Battlecry and MM'44 the Artillery was quite hard to hit. On certain scenarios, if you got lucky and took out an important artillery unit early, it could really sway the game. By evening out the chances of hitting the basic units, you are removing some of that frustrating "bad" luck. The units can be differentiated through health points and abilities without letting raw luck become the deciding factor.

The dice mechanics in MM'44 and BC were clever but perhaps an evening out of the odds will lead to less frustration of games decided by dice. The command cards have gotten better with each iteration (less frustration / more flexibility). Perhaps this dice issue is a similar tweak.

I got my preorder yesterday at a local game store. I am quite excited to see what Mr. Borg has put together this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little surprised they didn't abolish the different color hits as well. In C&C:A, the only reason the different hit colors matter is for the I Am Spartacus! card. It would seem to me a lot better answer would have been to re-work that card somehow, and go with the single hit die face. As it is now, it's just confusing.

I certainly hope that there is a good reason for the different colors, and there may well be. But for C&C:A, neither I nor anyone I have mentioned it to has been able to supply one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.