Hide
5 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Opinions on house rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Santiago Bosch
msg tools
Well, due to some problems we had when we originally read the rules, we ended up with some apparently odd rules which I would like to mention in case someone uses them as well or whatever.
Because I originally got my game in Spain, it mixed rules weirdly, so 2-tile cities score 2 points, but fields only score 3 points per city (a mix between the 1st and 3rd edition rules, i think) which I think makes it so you're more likely to build bigger cities but there isn't that much difference between field and city.
Another thing is we don't auto-count unused features which you finish, like it says in (at least my) rules. For example, if a player places a tile that finishes a city with no meeples, he has to "spend" a meeple to get it. This is more just what feels right for us, but perhaps someone thinks this impacts negatively?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John de Wit
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icsant3 wrote:

Another thing is we don't auto-count unused features which you finish, like it says in (at least my) rules. For example, if a player places a tile that finishes a city with no meeples, he has to "spend" a meeple to get it. This is more just what feels right for us, but perhaps someone thinks this impacts negatively?

Your house rule for this follows standard rules. You can claim a feature when you finish it but only if you have a meeple in hand.

Edit: To clarify, because I'm not sure exactly what your rules say, you can claim one feature. The exact process is: 1) place a tile 2) place a meeple on a feature on that tile 3) score completed features (for all players, that have meeples on them, including the one you may have just claimed) 4) reclaim meeples from completed features.
So in practice it's not really necessary to put your meeple on the board since you will reclaim it immediately, but you must have one available in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdewit wrote:
Icsant3 wrote:

Your house rule for this follows standard rules. You can claim a feature when you finish it but only if you have a meeple in hand.

Edit: To clarify, because I'm not sure exactly what your rules say, you can claim one feature. The exact process is: 1) place a tile 2) place a meeple on a feature on that tile 3) score completed features (for all players, that have meeples on them, including the one you may have just claimed) 4) reclaim meeples from completed features.
So in practice it's not really necessary to put your meeple on the board since you will reclaim it immediately, but you must have one available in your hand.
cross reference for reinforcement:

Question on Rule - Placing Meeple you don't have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icsant3 wrote:
Because I originally got my game in Spain, it mixed rules weirdly, so 2-tile cities score 2 points, but fields only score 3 points per city (a mix between the 1st and 3rd edition rules, i think) which I think makes it so you're more likely to build bigger cities but there isn't that much difference between field and city.
I have not followed the whole history of scoring changes. I do know there was an alteration in 2-tile city scoring but I have only known Farmers/fields as scoring 3 points per city.

Quoting current Z-Man rules

•For each city that the field touches, the player with the most farmers in that field scores 3 points. The size of the city does not matter. If some players are tied for the most farmers, they each score the points for that field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icsant3 wrote:
...I would like to mention in case someone uses them as well or whatever.

This is exactly what our game has evolved to. It may be more common than you think.

We started out playing with 1st edition rules. When 3rd edition came along we welcomed the change to farm scoring because of the simplification, but we did not favor the change for the 2-tile city to 4 points. So we stuck with the 2-point 2-tile city, and 3 points per city for farms. Because farm scoring increased under 3rd edition it does not make sense to promote small cities to 4 points and increase the tendency for many small cities to be built, which compounds the already over powered farm scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.