msg tools
UPDATE 4/14/15: version 2.4 posted
* terrain deck replaced by conditions deck
* maneuver cards added for more strategic options
* adjusted card mix after playtesting

You have your choice of two files: full (full-color experience) or ink-friendly

UPDATE 3/18/15: new rules posted (v2.2)

-----

I've been developing a two-player card game off-and-on for a little while now, and I just recently published some PnP files for it (link goes to Dropbox folder, there are several files).

A brief overview:
Campaign! is a tactical card game in which two players wage war back and forth across a battlefield, trying to eventually sack each other's castles. Win a battle and you advance toward your objective; win enough battles and you achieve it. Battles are fought by playing unit cards representing units of soldiers on the field, as well as army and condition cards that provide bonuses for your units or penalties for your opponent's units.

It's relatively simple and plays quickly, and it's received some decent feedback thus far (ex.: "In its current form, I might actually pull it off the shelf and play it every now and again."). Try it out, let me know what you think. If you feel so inclined, there's a questionnaire in the Dropbox folder that would help me out a lot. I've got thick skin, so fire away.

(Note: It's very much a work in progress, with none of the art finalized and most of the cards lacking names at this point. It's fully playable, though. Just so you're warned.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Campaign!, a tactical card game for two players
Why not submit it to the two-player PnP design contest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL SMITH
msg tools
Hah. That's what brought me here, actually. I was hoping to polish it up just a little bit more before submitting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. Reminds me of Star Wars Episode 1 Clash of the Lightsabers game: here

Both are sort of advanced games of the simple "War" card game.

I think I'd like it. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another comment:
I wouldn't mind trying it out, but I'd use up a couple inkjet cartridges printing it out. So, if you could use thick outlines instead of full silhouettes for the card artwork, more people may be willing to print this game out and give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL SMITH
msg tools
Ah, an excellent point that I had not considered. I'll get a more ink-friendly version up within the next few days. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL SMITH
msg tools
As promised, there is now a file in the same upload directory called cards-ink-friendly-0.2.pdf which will make your printer much happier. Hopefully you get the chance to try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL SMITH
msg tools
And after some playtesting tonight, there's a fairly significant rewrite in the works.

Condition cards are being split into their own deck*, and you'll now lay out five along with the territory. Unit cards are played into specific "slots" created by the condition cards. This ratchets up the strategic element, I think, and also starts whittling away at the dominance of cavalry (I have some other thoughts in that regard as well).

I'm also going to be playing with the card balance soon.

* I'm a little ambivalent about having three separate decks for this game, but it's a big improvement in gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL SMITH
msg tools
New update!

After some more playtesting, I decided that the condition cards were fulfilling the same role as the terrain cards but doing it better, so the terrain deck has now been replaced by the conditions deck. I've also added some maneuver cards to keep the conditions more dynamic and add another layer of strategy.

Lastly, I've adjusted the card mix a bit. Removing the terrain cards freed up some other space (I'm trying to keep it to 108 cards), and I made some changes to make the other unit types stronger relative to cavalry. There are fewer cavalry in the deck now, and more pike than shields. Likewise, there are more cards that give bonuses to pike and fewer cards that give bonuses to cavalry. What I'm hoping to achieve here is to make it focusing on any one unit type can be a viable strategy rather than just hoping for the biggest cavalry cards.

Try it out, let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls