Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Verret
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first solo game, then could not not resist to start another one right away.
Rules are easy to grasp (with help of the FAQ), but like any game, I always need a confirmation about a few rules. Couldn't help it.

Tornado: "Rearrange all mages in a room".
Page 16: "Shadows may not be moved or harmed by any method except spells and Vault card that specifically refers to shadow"
Does Tornado affect shadowing mages also ? I guess not.

Talking about shadows, I'm not sure I understand their role completely.
Page 16 again: "Shadowing Mages act after the mage they were shadowing, copying their action...."
Does that means the shadow must choose exactly the same option if the main mage had a choice to do (like Guilds, take 8 gold or 4 mana) ?
If yes, what about shadowing mage without a mage to their right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first question seems to answer itself.

The second question is in the FAQ - they're going to change the wording - they don't have to take the same option when shadowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18285585#18285585

This is by far the weakest part of Argent: the language is not consistent. When I see the phrase "All Mages" I assume that it means all mages in a room, including shadows, but in this case it actually doesn't include shadows. Now I know that because I've read the rulebook and the FAQ and the forums, but none of my friends have, so stuff like this is always a point of confusion. The spell should really say "Rearrange all non-shadow mages in a room".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
From the FAQ: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18285585#18285585

This is by far the weakest part of Argent: the language is not consistent. When I see the phrase "All Mages" I assume that it means all mages in a room, including shadows, but in this case it actually doesn't include shadows. Now I know that because I've read the rulebook and the FAQ and the forums, but none of my friends have, so stuff like this is always a point of confusion. The spell should really say "Rearrange all non-shadow mages in a room".

I guess my group just naturally read it the other way, since shadow mages are not effected by anything unless a card says it does, of course the tornado wouldn't effect the shadow mages. or you could look at it that the shadow mages arnt in the room, they are in the other room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are not sufficient to explain 'all' that's going on in the game, particularly how the word 'all' and the concept of shadowing. They effectively contradict each other.

I thought Trey was answering all the questions? I don't see any response from him here.

I think 'all' needs to actually mean all, and the shadowing rules should only apply to targeted effects, but I'm a long time Magic player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that no spell can affect shadowing mages unless it says so.

I agree they should have worded it better, but when you see "all" read "all non-shadowing"

Trey thumbed my original response. I saved him some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow seems too powerful to begin with, so I think we'll house rule it with experienced players to all meaning all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Piechocki
msg tools
mbmbmb
They're actually quite restricted - most of the time they can only shadow a spot that's already occupied by an enemy, and they by default end up one spot behind in turn order.

There's lots of pros but also lots of cons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
I think 'all' needs to actually mean all, and the shadowing rules should only apply to targeted effects, but I'm a long time Magic player.

The rule does not say Shadows cannot be targeted. It says they are immune to all spell effects.

In Magic terms, it's more like Indestructible. Even if there's an effect that says "Destroy all artifacts," you wouldn't destroy an artifact with the Indestructible keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 24 year old son said no to the house rule so I never implemented it. But yes, that's a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.