Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is just from the fact that I've played Diplomacy too long, and the map and setting are so similar, but I kept reading past the fact that a tax chip can be placed at sea.

I kept comparing the board to Diplomacy, and saying that there is one less eastern power (Turkey isn't playable in Imperial), but additional "supply center" equivalents in North Africa. Oh, but nevermind. I had done all my thinking by looking at the land.

No wonder I've seen posts about Russia being powerful. Not just do they have great access to the Balkan knot for conqeust, but they have the Black sea as their guarenteed feifdom. Russia didn't do so well in this time period, but they will this time, no?

So fifteen land tax regions, and nine sea regions, for an average of four per country?

Suddenly ships don't seem so weak afterall.

Now I have to rethink everything about the board. Hmmm...

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia did plenty well in this time period. By the 1950s they were the only European power in the first rank.

Turkey was a major focus of international investment in the 19th century. So was Egypt, which is irritatinngly just off-map.

Other map complaints: Algeria was French! The Balkans are roughly the correct boundaries for 1913, but not for any date before then. I'm guessing the game doesn't start in 1913, you have to have some build-up...mutter..mutter...mutter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fish demand representation due to taxes on the high seas
Its hardly meant to be historical - its a game where every country has a chance to be the one on top!

I also find a lot of the charm in the game is it is a flashback to Diplomacy and also is pretty simple to play like Diplomacy and also has lots of depth like Diplomacy.

One of the interesting things about the game is that if you try to make a country do well all on your own you will suffer one of two fates - you will be pounded with a resultant decrease in the value of your holdings in that country - or you will have a lot more investors, who will perhaps take a larger share of the holdings than you.

I think with good players, it is going to be a fine balance of holdings and instead of doing great with one, you will need to do well with several.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fish demand representation due to taxes on the high seas
DragonCat wrote:
I also find a lot of the charm in the game is it is a flashback to Diplomacy and also is pretty simple to play like Diplomacy and also has lots of depth like Diplomacy.

Diplomacy is far deeper. After all, you cannot write whole books about Imperial. Of course, a game need not have such extraordinary depth to be good (as Imperial most certainly is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.