Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Dos Santos
United States
Hallandale
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to clarify something about the Zombie Heroes. According to the rule book, if a character dies while the sun tracker is in the Black Zone, the zombie player that killed them takes over that character, which becomes a Zombie Hero, and the player whose character dies gets to draw a new character.

So what happens if the character dies AFTER the tracker has moved out of the Black Zone? Does the player who controlled the deceased character still get to pick a new one? Does the deceased character not get revived by the Zombie player that killed them and just stays dead period?

And what if the character wasn't killed by a Zombie player but by an explosion when they were on the same space as a Zombie?

Clarifications would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember if it was Growing Hunger or just an FAQ that they put out but Heroes Replenish and Zombie Heroes are rules that should always be in effect. So basically just ignore the black zone and turn killed heroes into zombie heroes and let that player select a new hero.

Also Heroes only become Zombie Heroes if they were killed by a zombie or a card specifically states it. So the Father can take his own life by canceling a card if he expects the zombies will get the better of him. Explosions also don't allow you to come back from the dead. Theres not enough of you left!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen anything that says those 2 rules should always be in effect. They're optional rules which are a part of some scenarios but not necessarily all of them. In fact there are several official scenarios from Growing hunger which do not use the Always Zombie Heroes rule.

Regardless, the original rules from the base game already state (under 'Death of your last hero') that when a player's last hero is killed, that hero is automatically turned into a Zombie Hero and that player automatically receives a new hero, so assuming you're playing with 4 Hero players, that will effectively be the case every time a hero dies. If there are fewer than 4 Hero Players, though, then the first heroes to die will just be dead (unless they died in the black zone or a card turned them into a zombie hero).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick you are correct with your answer however it was updated in the Timber Peak rule book.

Note - Always Zombie Heroes and Heroes Replenish
were optional rules in the original Last Night on Earth,
but are now intended to always be used in all Scenarios.
Because of this, both Heroes Replenish and Always Zombie
Heroes are listed on all of the Timber Peak Scenario Cards
in the Scenario Special Rules list at the top)

I personally don't play any games with out those two rules. It just makes since but I play this mostly 2 player so it makes a big difference there. The game is much better balanced when theres always 4 heroes in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been stated by FFP that expansion rules are not published to protect IP and ensure that expansions have to be bought to get the rules.
Whilst I totally agree with making Heroes Replenish and Always Zombie Heroes standard rules, FFP should republish the base game rules with the statement from Timber Peak in force.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dos Santos
United States
Hallandale
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses. So the dying while in or beyond the Black Zone thing basically only makes an impact when players control more than one hero (i.e., if their first hero dies while out of the black zone they don't become a Zombie hero). When four different players each control a separate hero, however, their characters always become Zombie heroes when they die regardless of the position on the Sun tracker. Is that about right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digory wrote:
Thanks for the responses. So the dying while in or beyond the Black Zone thing basically only makes an impact when players control more than one hero (i.e., if their first hero dies while out of the black zone they don't become a Zombie hero). When four different players each control a separate hero, however, their characters always become Zombie heroes when they die regardless of the position on the Sun tracker. Is that about right?

Correct, according to the original rules. You can see how the effects of hero deaths will change, based on how many players are in the game, which doesn't make sense; hence, the rule update by FFP.

Based on the original rules, a 2-player game could theoretically see only 1 hero on the board (if all 3 died outside the black zone), which would be rather dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel: Just so you are aware the Timber Peak rules are available on their web site. http://www.flyingfrog.net/lastnightonearth/pdf/LNTP_Rulebook... With that being available I dont believe they plan on updating the LNOE rule book because the Timber Peak is basically the updated rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know that the Timber Peak rules replaced the basic game rules! I better download and read them!
Although my point really was about updating the basic game downloadable rules. It wouldn't take much and let's face it, they could do with an update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digory wrote:

The Timber Peak rules includes a new Sun Tracker that does not have different phases. There is no longer a Black Zone. It is intended to replace the Sun Tracker form the base game and reinforce the intention that every Hero that gets killed turns into a Zombie Hero and the player always gets to draw a new Hero - regardless how many Heroes the player is controlling. In that way there are always 4 Heroes in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson Lowry
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
That's exactly right. I think it went like this:

LNoE: Let's make death permanent, to increase the survival feel. But we don't want to kick people out of the game, so if they lose their last character they get a new one, and the Z's get a Zombie hero to compensate. And also if they get killed right away, that's no fun. So we'll do it then too.

Timber Peak: Screw it, that's too complicated. And everyone likes new characters and Zombie Heroes anyway. Just do both things all the time, unless the Hero was killed by explosives, then no Zombie Hero. The player still gets another character though; the two things (new character and zombie hero) are no longer connected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.