Subject: Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I suppose some of you play civilization with a timer to speed up the game and make it more intense. I am thinking about setting a time limit for turns. How long would you recommend per player per turn on average?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M7N6L wrote:
Hi all,

I suppose some of you play civilization with a timer to speed up the game and make it more intense. I am thinking about setting a time limit for turns. How long would you recommend per player per turn on average?

This is very difficult as naturally turns get longer and longer.
We dont play with timer. We only push eachother to hurry up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't use timers either. There are two phases that can become lenghty. That is the town management and the movement phase. If you want to, I'd set a timer of 3-5 minutes for town management and 2 minutes for movement, as long as there is no fight. Most of the time (in my experience) you will be way below these limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
England
Dursley
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using a chess-like clock and give each player a set amount of time for the whole game. There are some good apps to do this, there are also some flash programs available for a pc. You can even use a handicap system this way by having different times for different standard players.

Game Timer from Amphiprions is an excellent free timer for Android for example.

Edited to add example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
banzai123 wrote:
Try using a chess-like clock and give each player a set amount of time for the whole game. There are some good apps to do this, there are also some flash programs available for a pc. You can even use a handicap system this way by having different times for different standard players.

Game Timer from Amphiprions is an excellent free timer for Android for example.

Edited to add example.

What an excellent idea!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Time fly's when you have fun. And playing this game is getting fun, so time will fly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
SO my wife and I tried playing Civ with a timer and it was probably the best idea we ever had. We played for just under 2h. It was a very focused game on both sides. I won but that's beside the point. We both had a great time and didn't feel like the game was artificially dragging on due to either of us taking our sweet time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.