Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I've played enough Zero! basic dogfight games to consider myself out of the novice range and into the low "intermediate". I've introduced the game to a few other players in my gaming group who are still at beginnner/novice levels.

I'd really like to try a campaign game, but I'm not sure which of the campaigns would be best for this level of experience.

I have all of the DiF series sets except for Rise of the Luftwaffe (8th Air Force, Zero!, Corsairs and Hellcats) so I have any of the campaigns from those expansions to choose from.

Ideally, I'd like to see a campaign which isn't too lopsided, offers a variety of aircraft and mission types, but isn't too difficult for people who aren't experts at the DiF system to play.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
We just played through the Burma and Malaya campaigns last night. I had some previous simple-dogfight experience with DiF a year prior, but hadn't played since then. Satruday night I introduced the game to a friend, after skimming through the basic rules. He read the campaign rules on Sunday and we played both campaigns last night. At least in those two, they were not lopsided affairs at all, although the each campaign was a little lopsided due to card-draw and strategic mistakes which seemed so obvious in hindsight!

The campaign system is not difficult at all. Jump in and start working through it. Like the dogfight rules, they are actually way overexplained, which I think adds confusion until you start actually playing them--then all becomes rapidly clear. If you're anything like us, the main points of confusion you'll want to read and re-read while playing, are:
1. Attacking a bomber--the fact that only the "foiled attack" symbolled cards have an effect, although "In My Sights" and "Out of the Sun" can cause damage to the attacking fighter.
2. Attacking a bomber--Manuever cards only need to be played to choose a bomber in an element o to increase Bursts. You can still just make an attack where your opponent chooses your target, and remember you have at least 2 or 3 bursts because of the fighter vs. bomber adjustment.
3. Resolving Flak, area vs. target--when to apply it and how it can spoil bomb runs as well.

It should gel real quick for you though as you actually fly a mission. These campaigns really add depth to the game, but still keep within a "short game" timeline (around an hour to 1.5 hours for the 4 or 5 mission campaigns).

The resources you have available really add to the tension prior to hopping in the cockpit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to see a campaign which isn't too lopsided, offers a variety of aircraft and mission types, but isn't too difficult for people who aren't experts at the DiF system to play.

All the campaigns are at about the same complexity level since the biggest chunk is adding bombers (and bombing and flak and attacking bombers). For balanced campaigns, look for the ones where the Draw victory conditions are around 0. The variety of aircraft and mission types can be read from the campaign cards. You may want to consider how often both players are on the attack as well.

Also, having historical interest in the campaign helps a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.