Hey, That's My Fish!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Reluctant buyer turns Avid player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I somehow wound up spiraling my last Thought Hammer order out of control...it went from, "I really want Wits and Wagers," to "Gee, I only need $20 more bucks to qualify for free shipping." Actually, there was a "Well, I'm already half way to free shipping, and if I purchase a game for someone else for Christmas (and promise not to buy myself any games for Christmas)..." step in there as well.

I have thrown myself at the collected wisdom of the geek a few times and been generally happy (Puerto Rico, Modern Art) and I've been reading a fair deal of praise for this game on various lists, so I decided against my better judgement to order this game. Neither the theme nor the art struck a cord with me (though I often like "whimsy"), but I reasoned that it's a short game, and an easy to learn game. Perhaps it might actually get some play once in awhile. (The previous core of my gaming group, now all have vastly different work and life schedules).

I've had my pile of Thought Hammer games for about two weeks, and finally got a few people to commit to coming over.

First game was just two of us. Michelle was in pain from accidentally throwing herself into her door jam at the sound of a scurrying racoon, but still she looked at it favorably, though commented, "This is an Andrea game" after flipping through the rule book. (Andrea, while being a bright gal, just doesn't pick up rules fast).

About four moves in (after having placed our penguins), we both had a "oooooh" moment, where we realized some of the strategy, as the ice floes melted away.

Just as Michelle and I finished, Nikki showed up to play, and we dealt out another round (though we played with 4 penguins apiece...a little crowded, but it still worked fine) and both gals really enjoy it.

I won both games, with a stategy of isolating the girls rather than going after the multi fish bonuses, and both games, my solo ice-flo hopping led to a significant victory.

I wanted to switch to some other purchased yet unplayed games, so we moved on...but I'm sure it will return to the table with regularity.

I may just get my money's worth out of this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, I've been looking at this one for some time now. And, like you, the theme and artwork just don't look like a game that would keep my attention. Just from looking at it, I originally thought it was an exclusively kid's game. I've read several reviews and the ratings on the geek applauding it, so I imagive I will have to try it out soon enough. Your session report here let me know that I'm not the only one with similar misgivings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a vicious little game that plays 2-4 in <20 minutes. I cheerfully paid MSRP for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been comparing this game to Blokus. A very kid friendly, easy to learn game that you can play with your family, yet can be downright nasty when played with adults .

I need to play this more. And I also do not regret buying it at my FLGS for full retail price. A great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.