Subject: Twilight Imperum 3 on Computer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my board game buddies told me they were making a twilight imperium like game on the computer. Does any one know anything about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is "they"? And where did he hear it?

I haven't even heard rumors about this being the case. Honestly, I highly doubt FFG is doing something like this, considering I doubt they have a huge programming staff and I think right now their programming focus is on BattleLore Command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
If by "like Twilight Imperium" they meant "4X Space Game", then yes, there are thousands of them on PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming FFG. I do not know where he heard it. I'll ask him tomorrow when I see him. It is probably misinformation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
It is probably misinformation.

As cool as a TI3 game would be (I'd buy it, for sure), I suspect this is probably the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's the closest I could find about it.

This was posted in the FFG forums back in 2012:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/65...

It looks like it morphed into something not quite like TI3 (copyright and all that, I suppose). The above thread points to this web site:

http://www.arkisvir.com/

It was on Kickstarter in early 2014 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1973308113/arkis-vir-a-...) but was not funded.

Edit: Grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeavyGear wrote:
Here's the closest I could find about it.

This was posted in the FFG forums back in 2012:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/65...

It looks like it morphed into something not quite like TI3 (copyright and all that, I suppose). The above thread points to this web site:

http://www.arkisvir.com/

It was on Kickstarter in early 2014 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1973308113/arkis-vir-a-...) but was not funded.

Edit: Grammar.

And it looks like it is relaunched and seeking funding right now, so maybe this is what you heard about.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/david-heath/falling-sta...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkis Vir is still alive and kicking? Get out your 10 foot poles, because this this project is a monetary black hole from which nothing can escape (except for Hawking radiation, which in this analogy is occasional screenshots of bad graphics). Despite near-unanimous opinion on the FFG forum that it was ill-conceived, Arkis Vir's creator forged ahead, even going so far as to advertise the travesty on BGG's TI3 boards. He also had a member of the dev team masquerade as an interested consumer to try and drum up interest. The mods rightfully deleted the thread a few days later.

I followed Arkis Vir's "progress" for a few months, and I can tell you with conviction that these guys have no idea what a good game is, let alone how to make one.

If Arkis Vir had been released 15 years ago, it would have occupied Best Buy's shelf space between Bejewelled knockoffs and Texas Hold 'Em simulators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
Jon, apart from the unfortunate sock-puppetry, can you elucidate more on why this is not a project worth backing? A cursory examination makes it look like a TI clone, which, frankly, doesn't seem that bad to me for lack of anything else out there. You seem to know more about it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the website. It looks similar to TI3, but has too few details about the game to make it worth backing.

It actually seems very vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
KTrout wrote:
Jon, apart from the unfortunate sock-puppetry, can you elucidate more on why this is not a project worth backing? A cursory examination makes it look like a TI clone, which, frankly, doesn't seem that bad to me for lack of anything else out there. You seem to know more about it though.

The last incarnation I saw had a "pay extra money to unlock content" system in place. And we're not talking cosmetics, like skins and models, either. Real money got you new ship abilities, better planets, etc. It might be that this reboot has removed these "features," I can't say for sure. The fact that this thing is now in its 4th iteration without any actual finished product should inspire skepticism, if nothing else. They had an aborted initial launch from the Arkis Vir website, a negotiation with a video game publisher (under a new product name that I forget) that fell through, and a failed Kickstarter campaign. This history does not make me confident that they will ever even release a game, let alone a good one.

If you want to play TI3 on your computer, there's Vassal, there's a board game simulator platform on Steam, and there's a PBF game recruiting on BGG right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've not seen this at all til today. The actual gameplay looks very rough and basic but the ideas and concept art for the races looks excellent. If they fail I suggest they turn those into fan created TI3 races. No money in that of course but hey it's something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it was just cancelled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.