J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please vote for which design you like best:
http://bit.ly/1MhWzf6

This is for our free, print-and-play game, Melee in the Mines.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fishwick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
#10 is my favourite, followed by #13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My highest votes were for numbers 13 and 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tweedt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
#10 is beautiful. Looks like an app on the phone.

#13 is my favorite too. But I would like to see the silhouettes flipped to white, with a shadow to make them stand out against the dark background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Steely
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#10 is by far the best layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mentock
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Images/silhouettes from #13 with the card design of #10 would look cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Tweedt wrote:

#13 is my favorite too. But I would like to see the silhouettes flipped to white, with a shadow to make them stand out against the dark background.

Like this?

My prototype design had silhouettes, because it was cheap and easy and fitting for a prototype. And then I started to like silhouettes.

But I'm surprised to see others like them too. If you like the silhouettes, why are you taken with them?

I had assumed people would want more detail -- but this is why I did the poll! So thanks to all of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like the minimalist look of silhouettes, but in this case i feel they clash too much with the style of the rest of the cards.

Non of the designs appeal to me in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think that I'm in the minority, here, but I found that the torchlit-stone design of #14 does the best job of evoking the setting of the game. I recommend against yellow-on-yellow text, though.

That said, I also admire the monochromatic wraith of #5: the hairstyle, flowers, and broken wagonwheel style collar implies that this undead thing has a story behind it, and the predominantly black scheme alludes to a dark environment. The silhouettes don't really work for me when the backgrounds are detailed, but when there is no background, as in Panel 3 of #12, then it has a Titan/Magic Realm nostalgic feel.

#10 sure looks slick, but I feel a disconnect between its style and the underground combat motif.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite was 14. Though 10 was also good, it looked like something you might see in a digital game. Which if you intend to do might be the best choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly I'm odd gamer out, but I love #5 and #8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey Henning wrote:
Matt Tweedt wrote:

Like this?

My prototype design had silhouettes, because it was cheap and easy and fitting for a prototype. And then I started to like silhouettes.

But I'm surprised to see others like them too. If you like the silhouettes, why are you taken with them?

I had assumed people would want more detail -- but this is why I did the poll! So thanks to all of you.

I don't like the white silhouettes. Kills the ambiance created by the "shadows".

I like #13 and #14 best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prefer #10 (think it needs more to differentiate the law/chaos/wild - perhaps colour the outer ring the same as the faction), and #14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Graphics: #10
Illustration: #5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 13 and 5 are better than the rest.

As unsolicited advice, I think there is one thing everybody must have in mind while working on the layout of card games (I learned this the hard way) and it must be considered before experimenting with the best looking design. Card games usually have their rules on the cards themselves, thus being able to read them is essential.

Look at entry 14 and try to imagine playing this game with lights not very strong. Yellow text over golden background... it could ruin the experience. Colors look way better and distinct on a backlighted monitor screen than on printed paper. Contrast is paramount. Entry 10 has another problem: very small text. That can be very frustrating for those with a sight not quite 20/20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lancee
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#8 By far.. it's like they were designed by a different artist. To be honest I find the other ones really ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far!

extherci wrote:
As unsolicited advice, I think there is one thing everybody must have in mind while working on the layout of card games (I learned this the hard way) and it must be considered before experimenting with the best looking design. Card games usually have their rules on the cards themselves, thus being able to read them is essential.

Yes, this is a concern with all the designs, and something I have kept in mind. Some seem to be designed for a standard card format, when in fact this is a mini-format.

ThisIsMichael wrote:
#8 By far.. it's like they were designed by a different artist. To be honest I find the other ones really ugly.

Yes, each design is from a different artist.

- Jeffrey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Henning
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who voted. 62% of you rated #13 as or :

Compared to 54% for #10:

No other design was rated or by a majority of respondents.

Thanks so much -- I'll let you know when the new cards for Melee in the Mines are available. They will be free to print-and-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.