Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is this company ever going to do anything right ?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/forums/

Games Workshop
Forums Announcement

Games Workshop forums will be closing on Wednesday November 15. Over the last few years there has been an explosion in the number and variety of forums devoted to the Games Workshop Hobby. These range from the huge forums covering the whole Hobby to small, focussed boards dedicated to a single army. If you want to meet and chat with other hobbyists online, we recommend that you check out a variety of these forums to find one (or more!) that suits your needs. A huge selection can be found by using any of the big internet search engines. We recommend typing in the name of your favourite game (40k, WH etc), army (Eldar, Empire etc) or aspect of the hobby (GW gaming, GW painting etc) and apend 'forum' to the end.

We'd like to say a big thank-you to all the people who have posted on (or even just read) our forums and our special thanks go to all the volunteers who over the years have helped moderate our forums. If you need personal hobby advice, please call our hobby advisors on 0115 91 40000 or visit your nearest Games Workshop store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
shake Just one more reason I've been dumping my 40K minis on eBay. Their callous disregard for their formerly dedicated customers and greedy money-grubbing reissue practices alienated many a committed minis-gamer (myself included). That said, I'll be holding on to my Necromunda and Battlefleet Gothic stuff (two they got right IMHO). shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a staggeringly stupid move. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden wrote:
Sounds like a staggeringly stupid move. shake

This quote should be part of the GW wikipedia entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
That said, I'll be holding on to my Necromunda and Battlefleet Gothic stuff (two they got right IMHO).

Yea, they got a few games right. Generally the ones they don't support. (Also see epic, bloodbowl, & space hulk)

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game worked right, you wouldn't need to spend much money on it, so it produced less sales per R&D hour. How much did your average Blood Bowl player spend on product, compared any given orc player in Warhammer Fantasy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morons. Isn't the whole point of a website to gather "eyeballs" for advertisers as well as build up a fanbase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Well they are the king of dumb moves:

Games Not supported by them:

Blood Bowl
Mordhiem
Necromunda
Battlefleet Gothic
Space Hulk
Etc.
Etc.

Online Retailers?

Um...they don't allow it.

Time Elapsed between the 6th edition rulebook and the 6th edition wood elf army book?

6 Years

Time between the 6th edition wood elf army book and 7th edition rules?

6 Months

Company Slogan

"Once you pick up that army book we know you'll buy on average 400 dollars of product, after that we don't care about you anymore"

Forums to grow the game?

None

They are the most incredible "What not to do in buisness company".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
talrich wrote:
cabalzero wrote:
That said, I'll be holding on to my Necromunda and Battlefleet Gothic stuff (two they got right IMHO).

Yea, they got a few games right. Generally the ones they don't support. (Also see epic, bloodbowl, & space hulk)

-Greg

All games that make me smile just to think of them. But Jorge is hella right. They are better at making stand alone games, but their business is based on making continuous games. I can't think of a way they could do things better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Roberto999 wrote:
They are the most incredible "What not to do in buisness company".
and still make busloads of money off it, the world is an unfair place.

Yeah alot of that has to do with being the only show in town for what they do.

Granted warhammer is a huge game(s) line and the rules are pretty tight. This makes their monopoly hard to deal with.

Luckily companies like privateer press and a few other are making in roads in to converting players to their games. Let's just hope PP doesn't become the next GW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Worst forum ever. After getting upwards of 50% of my posts deleted (simply vanished without any reason given) I stopped posting there.

Any negative comment about GW was *DELETE*, any even obtuse mention of any competitors product and entire thread was *DELETE*: just horrible.

I actually wrote them and complained that they cannot call their forums community forums while constantly censoring them, and they actually did get afraid of a lawsuit apparently because they changed them to be called "moderated forums" within a few weeks of my letter.

At least their paranoia went both ways

No loss... glad that his gone even though I still feel GW has and still does have a lot of creativity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
MrSkeletor wrote:
I would like to thank GW for teaching me how to use a search engine on the "big internet".

But wern't GW busy shutting all the online fanboy sites down?

They were busy shutting down internet retail sites under what they called "protecting" brick and mortor stores.

Don't let anyone tell you that they are the great saviors of Brick and Mortar stores when my local shop made 3000-5000 dollars on GW products (a week!!!) online until they were shut down. The ugly truth is GW wants all those online sales for themselves and don't mind cutting anyone out to get those sales. That's 260,000 potential dollars a year they cost my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very sad to have bought my last Lord of the Rings GW figure about 8 months (Hi my name is Ben and I was a GW addict..) but this news just makes me happier with the decision. They really have lost the plot entirely now haven't they. I can see it all to the tune of Ring a Ring a rosy.

Ring a ring a rosy, pocket full of dozies
A price hike, a price hike, the forums are down...

D**kheads.

Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GW is a straight-up evil company. I'm VERY fond of many of their games: Necromunda, Man o' War, Blood Bowl, Battlefleet Gothic, and Epic 40,000. That said, the way the company is run is staggeringly stupid. As someone mentioned earlier, their forums gave insight into what it must have been like living in Stalinist Russia. Every even remotely non-complimentary comment disappeared in the night. No reference to constant price raises or mentions of other companies remained. Old, well-loved games were stifled, and then stifled again. I hope Privateer Press and Rackham eat GW alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
jmw23 wrote:
GW is a straight-up evil company. I'm VERY fond of many of their games: Necromunda, Man o' War, Blood Bowl, Battlefleet Gothic, and Epic 40,000. That said, the way the company is run is staggeringly stupid. As someone mentioned earlier, their forums gave insight into what it must have been like living in Stalinist Russia. Every even remotely non-complimentary comment disappeared in the night. No reference to constant price raises or mentions of other companies remained. Old, well-loved games were stifled, and then stifled again. I hope Privateer Press and Rackham eat GW alive.

Yes someone should run them out of buisness buy the rights to the games you've mentioned and give them life again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister wrote:

Yes someone should run them out of buisness buy the rights to the games you've mentioned and give them life again.

Ah, that would be beautiful. Alas, they have the 12 year old's market pretty secured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Alexander B. said, their forums were awful. When I was heavily involved in them I quickly moved on after spending a couple of weeks there. There search feature either didn't work or was very poor, and of course it was so heavily moderated that you felt stifiled, regardless of whether you wanted to rant against GW or not.

I'm sure they are doing this because the bean counters at GW see little point in keeping the staff members on the payroll who comb the forums to stomp out the endless criticism that gets tossed on there. Better to just keep the information source diversified and push the product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sinister wrote:
jmw23 wrote:

I will do this as soon as I make my first billion. I will keep you all posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Perhaps GW politics catched up at last. I was reading just this morning that GW had its baddest year moneywise since their beginnings.

I do know a lot of EX-WHF and WH40K players. But since their games consisted mostly of ranting about bad rules and balance issues instead of playing, it was only consequently to give up playing W40K entirely (i joined them from time to time w.o. an army on my own).

I wouldn't shed a single tear if not only the forums were closed. Turned my back on the new WFRPG because of bad price politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister wrote:
jmw23 wrote:

Paging Hasbro... Hasbro, please pick up the white courtesy telephone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bren Mayhugh
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talrich wrote:

-Greg

Amen to that. I would say that every game that GW got correct and I truly love are 'OOP' (bloodbowl has the living rulebook, but the teams in that are getting insane...). Ah... Spacehulk & Necromunda, how I love you...

-Bren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not suprising to see GW hemoraging cash.

With good and less expensive paintable miniature games like Warmachine and Hordes out and mainstream painted miniatures rising up fast, I'm guessing their business model will need to adapt or die as they are going.

GW is definitely not a FLGS friendly company or game. They want people into their B&M stores (which are a lot more common in the UK than the US). The profit margin is near nill and you have to keep a large selection of expensive stuff on hand that may never get purchased. If you try to set up a system to order it on demand, that gets little interest as people can just buy it at GW's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blad
United States
Mesa
AZ - Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn shame...just proof that making more money is not necessarily a good thing for those of us who want to play the games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, what is the big deal. I have never found the GW forums anything but full of rabid fanboys who provide little in the way of real information. Who know what the cost of providing that service was to GW. Certainly it is never a good idea for a company to spend a lot on non-core functionality. If GW takes that cash they were losing providing a forum and invests it in Game Design great.

As for GW not supporting the Retailer, well whatever they are doing their games seem to be selling better than ever. The continue to focus on improving thier core product, and allow for developers to try out 2nd tier games. (epic, blood bowl etc etc.)

Strange that a company who provides a good (even if expensive) product gets slammed for doing normal smart business moves. GW has hands down the best backstory and models in their 40k line. (I believe this is now their #1 product) The continue to pump new money into the product and then make sure it is available by keeping the company in the black.
How does this hurt you are a gamer? If you don't like thier stuff don't buy it.

So they shutdown their less than usefulkl forums, who cares.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
malloc wrote:
Guys, what is the big deal. I have never found the GW forums anything but full of rabid fanboys who provide little in the way of real information. Who know what the cost of providing that service was to GW. Certainly it is never a good idea for a company to spend a lot on non-core functionality. If GW takes that cash they were losing providing a forum and invests it in Game Design great.

As for GW not supporting the Retailer, well whatever they are doing their games seem to be selling better than ever. The continue to focus on improving thier core product, and allow for developers to try out 2nd tier games. (epic, blood bowl etc etc.)

Strange that a company who provides a good (even if expensive) product gets slammed for doing normal smart business moves. GW has hands down the best backstory and models in their 40k line. (I believe this is now their #1 product) The continue to pump new money into the product and then make sure it is available by keeping the company in the black.
How does this hurt you are a gamer? If you don't like thier stuff don't buy it.

So they shutdown their less than usefulkl forums, who cares.

-M

I like privateer press's models much much better, they look much cooler. GM does not make good business moves. There finicial status is proof of that. Second tier game are NOT supported. Product is simply not that good when you consider it's price, it's assembly time, it's painting time, it's transport problems, etc...

Good buisness moves:

1. No more price hikes, how many have their been in the last 5 years. I count at least 4.

2. Why not try prepainted plastics? That works well for many companies and would allow you to sell the game to audience that can't afford all petwer. You would sell tons more product.

3. Release the army books within a month of each other. Learn something from PP release dates. Like I said before I waited 6 years for a wood elf 6th edition army book only to have 7th edition core rules come out six months later...that's crap.

4. please stop insulting customers who tried to be loyal to you.

5. Um what american company would be stupid enough to say "We don't want you here on our website talking about our games?" That's just insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.