Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, a player strongly suggested that a player a player declining step 2: pillage he can still do steps 3 and steps 4;

The rules for colony founding appear to be:

When founding a Colony, you can either opt for a simple exploitation Colony (no further change), or choose one or more of the following options and gain immediate further advantages. If you choose several options, you must perform them in numbered order.

1. Company : Transfer 1 from territory to merchant
2. Pillage : Gain treasury ...
3. Repression : discard 1 or 2 unrest .. and move your marker that number of spaces in the diplomacy track
4. Plantation.

The player suggested that you can say no to step 1, no to step 2, say yes to step 3.

Does saying no in step 2 prevent you from doing step 3?
Does saying no at any steps prior preventing you from doing subsequent steps?

Can a player really repress unrest tokens in a location without pillaging it?

Founding Colony rule sounds really overpowered if this is the case; I was under the strong impression that steps 2 and step 3 were connected; that is to say if you say YES to step 2 you get access to step 3; but if you said NO to step 2 you don't get access to step 3 but still resolve step 4.

Can someone clarify this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Targa
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played that you cannot procede performing options if you choose not performing one... but re-reading it now.. It's actually only written you must perform them in numbered order.

Might have played it wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They appear all to be optional. My query is step 2 and 3 linked. The example does not help sadly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
...."or choose one or more of the following options and gain immediate further advantages. If you choose several options, you must perform them in numbered order."

..i think is pretty clear..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
zardon wrote:
They appear all to be optional. My query is step 2 and 3 linked. The example does not help sadly

They are not linked. You only need to do 2 before 3, if you want to do both. But perfectly fine to just do 3.

Why would they be linked? Surely you don't need to plunder someone to repress them, even if that has often been the case in history. If they were it would also mean, that you could not pillage someone, if you had not first established a trading company. Would make no thematic sence.

And to the question of being overpowered. Not really - colonies are at the very hearth of the game, but take some effort to establish. At least in the territories where you can really make use of the pillaging. And repression should also be used with caution - those diplomatic steps can be hard to get back and might be needed in the end-game to attack the leading player (or prevent an attack on you, if you happen to be in the lead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they were linked because there can't be any repression without an uprising token. Yes, I agree that a player can earn unrest from other players playing rebels; but I thought they were linked because you are pillaging the place and then repressing their uprising.

The repression without pillaging sounds overpowered because you can discard 1 or 2 unrest tokens. A player will always choose 2 unrest tokens especially if they are the bottom of the diplomacy track because they cannot fall any further.

If this is the case, there is no longer any reason for that player to play ambassador to remove unrest, or missionary. They can simply wait to play a colony founding rules to remove 2 and nothing bad happens to them because they are already at the bottom of the diplomacy track.

Perhaps this is can be fixed; where a player is at the bottom and causes himself to lose diplomacy but cannot move any further down on the diplomacy track that player will get 1 unrest on the map on one of his territories.

I dunno, something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not linked. You can do any or all of the 4 steps - the only stipulation is that they are done in the order listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, sounds like 1-4 are sequential but each one is yes/no? but saying no does not stop you from doing other options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tract Gildart
Canada
flag msg tools
Uhh aren't you limited to removing Unrest from the territory where the Colony is being founded? I mean, if I found a colony in Brazil I can't use the Repression to drop an unrest from West Africa, right?

I actually just finished (like, half an hour ago) a game where I spent almost the entire thing at the bottom of the diplomacy track, and yes, when you're down there you can just pillage and repress every single colony you make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Tract wrote:
Uhh aren't you limited to removing Unrest from the territory where the Colony is being founded? I mean, if I found a colony in Brazil I can't use the Repression to drop an unrest from West Africa, right?

I actually just finished (like, half an hour ago) a game where I spent almost the entire thing at the bottom of the diplomacy track, and yes, when you're down there you can just pillage and repress every single colony you make.

A bit late answer, but yes it must the territory where you just founded the colony (it says "the Territory" in point 3 of the colony founding options).

I also want to add, that while it can be a strategy to pillage and repress with every colony, if you are already down there anyway, it does hold a risk. Everyone else will be able to attack you when you are that low (and if you start looking like a winner they should). So you had better use the treasure gained to build up your navy .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.