Subject: The Multiverse - What does it hold? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Meeple
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse, a game where you are put at the control of a hero, with the ultimate goal of taking out the villain. The envrionment is the only real gimmick, and it ends up being more annoying to the heroes than the villain. Now, let's get into the setup, gameplay, the pros and cons, and the altogether rating.

Setup

This part of the game is very simple. The basics to setup are select a villain, an environment, and three to five heroes. Fallow the rules on the setup to the villain rules card and you're good to go. That's really all there is to the setup. Picture of basic setup is in the rule book, I think.

Gameplay

This part is also fairly simple. After the villain plays the top card of his deck and takes his end of turn actions, play continues on with the heroes. The heroes start with a hand of four cards, and starts their turn by playing one of them. After the effects have been settled (If any), you proceed with the power phase, where you select a card with the word power on it. All text on the card after the word power is part of the power. For example, Legacy has Galvanize. After that is the end of the turn, where any end of turn effects happen. Play continues like this until the last hero has taken his/her turn. Then, the environment plays just like the villain. Play continues this way until the villain is defeated.

Pros and Cons

Lets start with the pros.

- Easy to play, setup, and put away.

- Fun game that most kids and adults will play.

- High replay ability.

- Can be played with family, or with friends.

Cons

- Rule book was printed in comic book font, so it is slightly hard to read.

- Can drag on for a long game. This isn't a huge problem, but it can be an annoyance sometimes.

- Tokens are fiddly. I would suggest buying Sidekick to prevent this problem.

Final Thoughts

Pretty good buy. Though if you get it, make sure to order it online. I know you may not get it the same day, but it is a good bit cheaper online than in stores. As I mentioned, it has high replay ability, though it needs the expansions to get the real super-heroic feel. All in all, highly recommended, and a wonderful addition to the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGeek wrote:
Play continues this way until the villain is defeated.

I am going to call out your otherwise fine review on excessive optimism. Maybe at your house you play until the villain is defeated. We usually go to bed after all our heroes are incapacitated. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You failed to mention the fiddly nature of the game. Even with the +1/-1 etc. chits from the newer edition to help track things, its still a lot of adding and subtracting bonuses and penalties while playing, especially with certain boss/henchmen groups. you get 6 or 7 bad guys out there all doing something different and pretty soon its "Calgon take me away" time.

Aside from that I would have kept it and enjoyed it, but it was just too much book-keeping for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
You failed to mention the fiddly nature of the game. Even with the +1/-1 etc. chits from the newer edition to help track things, its still a lot of adding and subtracting bonuses and penalties while playing, especially with certain boss/henchmen groups. you get 6 or 7 bad guys out there all doing something different and pretty soon its "Calgon take me away" time.

Aside from that I would have kept it and enjoyed it, but it was just too much book-keeping for me.

I think the key thing here is to stay engaged the whole time. If we follow what is happening in the game, it feels very natural to understand the effects that are in play. OTOH, if one is disengaged and needs to be checking everything that has been played when it is their turn or the villains turn to play then that person might have some difficulty with the process.

I have been playing with 9-12 year olds and including myself at 43, we have not had difficulty to follow what is happening in the game. It flows very well.

Not great for those who prefer to only engage when it is their turn to play. No game is for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The thing about this game for me is that it oozes theme. That's why I love it. I know the book keeping can be rough but it puts you there so well that often don't realize the tedious nature because I'm so heavily invested. To the OP did you get any expansions? Not that you need any right away because there's enough in that box to keep you going a while but they just add so much and are so worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone that I've introduced this game to enjoys it immensely! There is an element of "fiddli-ness" to the game. But like someone previously posted, the more "engaged" everyone is, the less this is an issue. I have the "expansion" tokens... to make sure that we don't miss anything. The tokens remind us of the things we may have forgotten. But (mostly) we don't miss stuff. And if you miss something, it isn't that big of a deal. The game is fun anyway!

Mucho fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
glookose wrote:

I think the key thing here is to stay engaged the whole time. If we follow what is happening in the game, it feels very natural to understand the effects that are in play. OTOH, if one is disengaged and needs to be checking everything that has been played when it is their turn or the villains turn to play then that person might have some difficulty with the process.

I have been playing with 9-12 year olds and including myself at 43, we have not had difficulty to follow what is happening in the game. It flows very well.

Not great for those who prefer to only engage when it is their turn to play. No game is for everybody.

I think it is easy to follow what is happening in the game and get most of what is going on. What irks me is that sometimes you end up missing a thing here or a thing there, only to notice it later on. Missing something ruins the experience for me, because if I win after missing something I feel the win is cheapened. If you can overlook something missed on occasion, I think it is a game that can be easily enjoyed, but if you get OCD when you miss something, this game is better left alone. Despite my OCD when it comes to this game, I enjoy it because my kids like it so much.

Most of the enjoyment I get at this point is trying to come up with a system to track everything without fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGeek wrote:
Pretty good buy. Though if you get it, make sure to order it online. I know you may not get it the same day, but it is a good bit cheaper online than in stores.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but this line doesn't really belong in a review. It is true of almost any game... and some us like to support our brick-and-mortar retailers, despite the (understandably) higher prices.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing your impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like supporting FLGS in theory, but I'm not about to pay $80 plus tax for a game that I can get for $50 with free shipping online. Just not gonna do it.

If I was rich, I would be glad to pay 30-40% more for my games.

My local one has craaaappy customer service anyway and its always filled with kids playing MtG and not board games. They don't have anything I ever need and I don't really ever set foot in there.

Maybe you guys that pay extra for your games use your FLGS as a meeting place for board gaming or they sell milkshakes or something ...or you buy your comic books there ... I assume they offer some service you find useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Meeple
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
MrGeek wrote:
Pretty good buy. Though if you get it, make sure to order it online. I know you may not get it the same day, but it is a good bit cheaper online than in stores.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but this line doesn't really belong in a review. It is true of almost any game... and some us like to support our brick-and-mortar retailers, despite the (understandably) higher prices.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing your impressions.

I like to support the self-made, smaller stores. I'm just saying that you can get this game cheaper online than in stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls