Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to find out if Playme carried Balam today, and they e-mailed me the following note:

"Balam will probably be PlayMe Edition Nr 2
next year."

Hopefully, this will make the game more affordable.

I tried to buy a copy of the game directly from Neuroludic, but it was about $98 U.S. - 49 Euros for the game, plus another 28 Euros for shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike for the great news!
This is a hot item for me also, but the cost was definitely plague infested.

Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
This is a hot item for me also, but the cost was definitely plague infested.

Considering the cost, that the current edition of Balam is handmade and that PlayMe editions are profesionally made i think that it is better to wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

Considering the cost, that the current edition of Balam is handmade and that PlayMe editions are profesionally made i think that it is better to wait...

Great news! The game looks really really good! Which one to buy? Well, it depends on what you want! Are you a gamer or a collector or both?

I shelled out EUR49 + 28 (shipping) for a copy of Balam and it's handmade for sure. It's worth it's weight in terms of the amount of time spent on labour!

The compoents are as such:

Box: heavy weight box with the front cover pasted on (very well). Obviously printed off a photo quality inkjet.

Rules and play aids: Cover and contents printed on a colour laser. My english rules were printed off the inkjet and the player aids were laminated.

Tiles: There are 30+ terrain tiles and 99 (!!!) building tiles. That's ALOT of tiles to cut out. They are printed off the quality inkjet. However, it would have been better if they were laminated/coated as the colour has run off some tiles.

Cards: These have been professionally printed.

Dice: The dice has been silkscreened BUT it looks like it may have the problem similar to the first run of Doom dice (may rub off with time).

Pyramids: Looks like Icehouse pieces and of good quality.

Plastic pieces: Lots of plastic pieces that are similar to the orange ones in Railroad Dice 2.

In fact, there's a note in French that roughly translates that the game is handmade, like a piece of art, and contains inconsistencies with the pieces.

If you want a copy NOW, buy it. If not, you'll probably have to wait till next year's Essen. The components will probaby be different too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Vernet
France
Le Pont de Claix
Alpes
flag msg tools
designer
This is a rumour. In truth, we did not have ANY contact with Playme in connection with that. For the moment, this republication thus remains quite hypothetical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.