Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say I control a 200 str city with a single breach on it.

"Upgrade defenses" comes up. Am I allowed to pay 4 and fortify the city or must I remove the breach on it first? I can't see in the rules where it's prevented, but it doesn't seem quite logical to fortify a city wall with a hole in it until after the hole is repaired

We played it (in our first play of the game) that breaches had to be repaired first. The 2 actions are equivalent (for defense purposes), but the fortification gives +1 on income so could well be a better option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Frank - seems reasonable then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen this discussed (perhaps in the FAQ). You have the option. Repair or fortify. If you fortify then the breach(es) remain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Bubslug wrote:
I have seen this discussed (perhaps in the FAQ). You have the option. Repair or fortify. If you fortify then the breach(es) remain.

hmmm, that doesn't make any sense either...either you fortify and build all new walls or you don't-

we play like this:

YES - you can fortify but have to pay one extra gold for each breach, since it hinders/complicates proper building (debris and so forth)

this is our interpretation/modification on the rules and it makes sense for us... hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've simply quoted the official interpretation. You are free to play the game any way you wish. The process is quite abstract and represents all sorts of different actions that would serve to upgrade defences or repair damage inflicted during a siege. "Fortification" raises the maximum effective troop strength capacity and increases the income value of the city (think in terms of added infrastructure and income generation making it in effect a bigger city). "Repair" simply removes breech tokens (replacing lost troops) taken during sieges.

It is possible to see the two activities as being quite closely related or, just as easily, as having nothing to do with each other. The game needed a ruling and got one. Individual preferences can always over-ride these things except during tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.