Martin Davis
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow..Superb..BooYa..

My thanks to Rik Falch and Valley Games.

Due to a shipping error, my copy of Die Macher arrived sans Macher. Just light-weight popcorn. That Friday, I emailed Rik and Valley Games about my situation.

Was my email blown off???

NO!!!

Not only did I receive a call from Rik within a couple days, but my replacement copy arrived today.

A total of five days from complaint to resolution.surprise

Most normal orders aren't processed and shipped in that time frame...

Keep up the good work..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shhhh. The Canadians who haven't gotten their games yet might hear you...

I had a similar experience (sort of) with Rio Grande Games. I e-mailed Jay about one of the decks in El Grande having a impact point punched through the last card, and a indentation through half the deck. Not unplayable, but I figured I wanted them to be good. It was the Sunday before Essen, so I thought, no big deal, I'll hear from him afterwards. I had the deck in my hands before the fair even started.

That's one thing I have enjoyed about this hobby. I have had a few problems involving my games, and have yet to get a negative response, or even not get quick service from any of them. Even when the issue has been my fault (my dog ate a card from Shadows over Camelot once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
Shhhh. The Canadians who haven't gotten their games yet might hear you...

Canadians? Heck, I still haven't gotten mine either... or my dice order. Or any boxes full of special peanuts!

I'm hoping they're 'in the mail' though. If I don't see them by next week then I'll sling VG an email. Unless they combined the orders (they should be seperate) at least one should get through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody gotten their dice yet? I know I haven't either...but I assumed that was delayed due to Die Macher shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
No dice here. (Pun intended)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Rawles
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I received my Die Macher in an appropriate period of time (despite my pestering emails (where is it, why isn't it here yet, etc. etc. -- sorry about that ).

One question, I am having the family over for a Die Macher game this weekend (I have played only once before, and loved it). Any advice on how best to teach the game to four newbies? I've dedicated about half an hour to the schedule (planning on six hours for the instruction and the game). I've watched Scott's video on it, which is good if people haven't seen it yet. Also, I have read Dan's review of Die Macher which does a nice job of laying it out ~ Is his approach the best method do you think?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, any thoughts on which player aids from the files section as well.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taught the game a few times, here is the method I have found most effective:

1) Set up the game as if you are ready to play. This includes all of the region values, the starting opinions, the player platoforms, &c.

2) Explain how players get votes. Do NOT explain how they move their trend up, how they get media markers, or how they get meeting markers...simply explain the math behind it. If they understand how the trend / meeting markers / platform interact then everything else will make more sense.

3) Go through a round step by step. You do the auction, &c. You can change your platform, &c. I find particular attention needs to be paid to the way coalitions work (stress that the number of votes you get are yours, and that the benefit of the coalition / winning an election is purely the bonus points you get for the media marker on the national board, and the ability to dictate the national opinion) and to the Shadow Cabinet cards, especially the media marker exchange, which is a bit wonky for first time players.

4) Go over minor niggly things: how the end game is scored (i.e.; the value of having national membership, the value of conforming to the national agenda as much as possible)

5) Explain the initial setup procedure.

I personally find this regimen works well. Everything in Macher flows from the need to get votes, so if you explain how that is done, then everything else will fall into place naturally as your explanation goes.

As for player aids, I find minimalism is the best solution. I just use this simple card:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=2645

If you like, you can also print out one copy of the more in-depth round summary, I did that when I was first learning the game so that I could make sure everything was proceeding correctly, but I find the short summary is less overwhelming for players, and simply having a list of the phases is generally enough to jog people's memories as to what is going on when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Rawles
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thanks! That is perfect. I think that approach makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.