Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
In a multihex attack, why do defensive ranged supports need to choose only one hex to atttack? Is this a simulation choice or a simplicity choice? Adjacent defensive support allows for cases where multiple attack hexes are targeted for defensive ranged fire, although that is a "special" case.

I had a multihex combat where two units were in range of the combat...one could just reach one of the attack hexes, and the second, another attack hex...just not the same one...I had to choose which to target with defensive ranged support...why not just be allowed to fire at each? All targets are still part of the combat...

EDIT: Wait a second...am I misinterpreting? Do the rules mean only one hex declared as a target AT A TIME?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each Ranged Attack must have a specific target hex. The reason why? It's simply a matter of DRMs for terrain and company-sized infantry units in that hex. You might, for example, have 2 attacker hexes. One has only MG units attacking from woods, and the other has infantry companies attacking from the ice. Obviously the latter hex makes the better target for defensive support. You get more positive DRMs.

The Suppression markers generated from defensive support affect the entire combat, so it doesn't really matter which target hex receives them. But the specific target hex *is* important for determining DRMs (as noted above) as well as determining which attacking units must take step reductions on a modified roll of 17+.

Quote:
I had a multihex combat where two units were in range of the combat

Did you mean to say "two units were in range of the support?" The Combat is against one hex and only one hex, but the attackers can occupy two or more hexes which are adjacent to the defending hex.

If any of this isn't clear, just say so and I'll try to better explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be more clear so I can be sure you're answering my question...

When I say "two units in range of the combat", I mean, "two units in range of the attacking units that are contributing their CS to the combat".

I understand that the Defensive Support Ranged attacks affect the combat via Column Shifts due to suppression and losses to that stack (which might change the ratio).

The case I'm referring to is when there is a multihex attack and, as the defender, you have one ranged unit (A) within range of one attacker (X), and another ranged unit (B) only in range of a DIFFERENT attacker (Z). When you resolve defensive support, do you only declare ONE HEX as the target of defensive support, and thus must choose between unit A attacking X, OR B attacking Z? I think this is the case. And if it IS the case, why? See my first post re: thematically, why doesn't/can't each ranged unit within support range make a ranged attack against whatever hex they want (as long as they are targeting hexes that are contributing their CS to the combat). I understand that in most cases you'll pick the hex with the best DRM/tactical benefit (if all the ranged units are in range of all the phasing player's attacking hexes), but I don't quite see why ranged units can't target multiple hexes during defensive support.

I feel like I've either over explained or needlessly obfuscated my question...you tell me, Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When you resolve defensive support, do you only declare ONE HEX as the target of defensive support, and thus must choose between unit A attacking X, OR B attacking Z?

That's exactly what I thought you were asking, and that's what I was trying to answer when I said "Each Ranged Attack must have a specific target."

But just to be 100% sure that you're asking what I think you're asking, here's an example:

The three Soviet infantry companies have declared a Combat against the reduced Finnish company. The Finns declare defensive support from the HMGs and mortars. The ranged attacks are resolved individually, each against a specified target hex. In this case, the HMGs can only target the Soviet stack on the ice because the lone purple Soviet unit in woods is out of range. The mortars can only target the purple Soviet unit because the stack on the ice is out of range.

Any Suppressed results affect the Combat outcome, regardless of which attacking stack they targeted. But any step reductions inflicted by the HMGs must come from the orange guys on the ice, and any step reductions inflicted by the mortars must come from the purple guy.

Does that answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was too lazy to Vassal it...my god, thanks, Mark, for the extra time...that's exactly what I meant...

And your answer is what was dawning on me when I edited my first post:

"Do the rules mean only one hex declared as a target AT A TIME?"

But then your first answer above made me again think that it was that you could only target ONE hex IN TOTAL for defensive support...even though your first sentence was "Each Ranged Attack must have a specific target hex.", which is certainly clear enough...Defensive ranged support is ONE or a SERIES of ranged attacks that are all resolved before a combat. Each of those ranged attacks must target one hex, etc...

It all makes sense now.

Again, in playthroughs it's silky smooth, but man, I was having trouble matching the rulebook as written to what I'd seen in videos. It didn't help that I couldn't find this particular case in any demo I'd watched. The language in 10.3.2 really made me think you declared one hex and one hex only to conduct support.

Thanks, again! Looking forward to Dauntless. Any inside scoop on timeline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing new on a timeline for Op Dauntless. The counters are done but not printed. Still waiting on a finished map and trying to polish up the play book (now actually 2 books: Scenario Book plus Reference Book) and finely tune all of the nearly 40 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. Reference Book for...the rules? Or the historical operation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
duckweed wrote:
The mortars can only target the Soviet stack on the ice because the purple Soviet unit is out of range.

i'm thinking this is a copypasta induced error, as the purple unit is within mortar range and the units on the ice are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reference book will be ~32 pages and contain design notes, historical notes, OOB, and recommended reading / book references. Mainly design notes.

The scenario book will be ~56 pages and have the tutorials, proper scenarios, optional rules, and illustrated examples of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i'm thinking this is a copypasta induced error, as the purple unit is within mortar range and the units on the ice are not.

Oops. Thanks, Thomas. Fixed. I switched the unit positions around and forgot to fix that part of the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the design notes. One of the most fascinating parts of wargaming. And I didn't even bother matching the words to the units...as soon as I saw the picture, I knew we were on the same page.

Good catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.